To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Bivvy offers an affordable pet insurance policy (in some states) with the option of adding on a wellness plan. However, it places limits annually and over the lifetime of a pet, which other providers do not.
Is Bivvy still worth it, or would it be best for you to choose a more traditional pet insurance company?
We don’t include Bivvy or any company with less than five years experience in our annual pet insurance rankings because it takes time for policies to establish consistency of premiums. In our experience new companies’ premiums, and thereby your monthly costs, tend to fluctuate the first few years.
- $9-20/month for any pet insurance policy (price varies by state)
- Only covers expenses up to $1,000-5,000 (varies by state) per policy year
- No customer service phone number listed on website
- Not available in all 50 states
- $25,000 lifetime limit
- 14-day waiting period for accidents in most states and 30 days for illnesses in most states
- 6-12 month waiting period for CCL injuries and hip dysplasia (varies by state)
Don’t like the cons or uncertainty of a new company? Our pet insurance experts have analyzed over a dozen established pet insurance providers. Check out our pet insurance reviews to learn more about this year’s top-ranked companies.
- Underwriter: CUMIS Insurance Society, Inc.
- No exam required
- All policies are one price per month, irregardless of type of pet, breed or age (price varies by state: $9-20/month)
- Annual limits vary by state ($1,000-$5,000) and a lifetime limit of $25,000 (competitors don’t place as many limits on pets)
- Per claim deductible varies by state ($50-250)
- No bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body) listed in sample policy
- Bivvy begins reviewing claims within one business day of being filed
- Must submit claims within 90 days of the date of service
- Submit claims via online account
- Only available in the following states: AZ, CT, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, MD, MI, NC, OR, TX, VA, WI
- Unrated by the Better Business Bureau (likely because Bivvy is so new)
Defined by Bivvy as:
a. Chronic Condition observed by You or Your Veterinary Provider prior to the Original Start Date or end of the Waiting Period for Your Pet and any related conditions;
b. an Illness or Injury that first occurred or showed Clinical Signs prior to the Original Start Date or end of the Waiting Period for Your Pet and any related conditions; or
c. Undiagnosed conditions with the same Clinical Signs as those in (a) or (b) above are also considered pre-existing.
Temporary conditions that started prior to the end of the waiting period that have not shown any clinical signs for 12 consecutive months are not considered pre-existing conditions.
Customer Service Hours
- Email and FAQ (hours not listed)
- 14 days: accidents (AZ: three days)
- 14 or 30 days: illnesses (length varies by state)
- Six or 12 months: dog orthopedic conditions (e.g., cruciate ligament, hip dysplasia, etc.) unless the injury is the direct result of a trauma (length varies by state)
Services included are not limited to this list and are subject to change.
|Covered by Bivvy||Not Covered by Bivvy|
|Congenital Conditions||Spay/Neuter Procedures|
|Chronic Conditions||Cosmetic Surgery|
|Prescription Medications||Non-Emergency Ground Ambulances|
|X-Rays & Ultrasounds|
Bivvy offers one plan to cover routine and preventative expenses. The current cost for Wellness Care is $9 per month. Included are the maximum amounts that Bivvy will pay each year for specific treatments.
|Wellness Care Annual Limit|
|Price Per Month||$9|
|Flea, Tick & Heartworm Prevention||$15|
|Urinalysis or ERD||$15|
|Total Annual Benefit Available||$165|
Bivvy charges $9-20 per month (depending on what state you are in) for pet insurance, regardless of dog or cat, age, size, gender, or breed. The reimbursement level is 50% (most competitors offer multiple, higher reimbursement options). The deductible varies by state from $50-$250 (again, most competitors offer multiple deductible options in each state).
You have the option to add on Bivvy’s Wellness Care plan for $9 per month to help cover routine and preventative expenses.
Both the insurance and wellness plans are among your least expensive options in many states, making Bivvy a good option to reduce your risk at a lower price. However, if you are seeking more comprehensive risk management, you should consider a more complete pet insurance offering.
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from several top-ranked companies when you fill out just one short form. Also, visit our pet insurance quotes page to see how the cost of Bivvy’s competitors stacks up against one another.
Bivvy was founded in 2019 and asks customers to submit reviews of the sign-up process. We feel these reviews are misleading since it gives the impression that Bivvy has a great reputation overall (which is unknown via online reviews at this time). The truth is that the sign-up process for most pet insurance companies is fairly simple and takes only a few minutes. It would be more helpful to collect and share reviews about the claim process and coverage.
While interacting with customer services, they were knowledgeable, courteous, polite and kind of all questions asked! – I ♥️ my maltipoo, Trustpilot 6/21/2020
I am skeptical. I’ve been asked to write a review before ever actually using the service. By the looks of the other reviews, I am not alone. Was it easy to sign up? Yes. Does that mean this is good pet insurance? Not necessarily. Whether it’s good is to be determined. – Jenilee, Trustpilot 6/30/2020
1,600+ reviews based not on the quality of their service, but only on how quick it was to sign up … IMO it’s pointless to review a service-based company when all I’ve done is provide my name and credit card number. The proof will be when I file a claim – how quickly, easily, and hassle-free it was processed. People!! – don’t review this company until you’ve received the service you’ve paid for. I will provide a review once I use the service, not simply b/c I’ve signed up for it. – Barrie, Trustpilot 6/19/2020
I still had to pay for my pets medication I got no coverage or refund – Carley, Trustpilot 5/26/2020
Since it was recently founded in 2019, we’d like to see how Bivvy handles claim repayment, pricing, and customer service in the coming years. If you don’t feel that Bivvy is the best choice for your pet, check out our recommendations for the best pet insurance.
Are you still considering Bivvy for your pet insurance needs?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.