Spot Pet Insurance launched in 2019 with impressive coverage and two affordable wellness plans. And the company’s chairman is none other than Cesar Millan from “The Dog Whisperer.” But as a newcomer to an increasingly competitive industry, is Spot worth considering? We take a deep dive into what you can expect from their policies, pricing, claims process, customer service, and more.
Spot Pet Insurance
- No lifetime or per-incident payout limits with any plan
- No upper age limits
- Covers alternative therapies, like acupuncture
- Claim processing averages 10-14 days
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, and other U.S. territories
- Competitively priced wellness plans
- Premiums were significantly higher than average when we ran quotes
- 14-day waiting period for accidents (some cover accidents within 2-3 days)
- If there’s a knee injury prior to enrollment or during the waiting period, they won’t cover the second leg if an injury occurs. It’s considered a bilateral condition.
- $2 transaction fee, if not paying annually
We don’t include Spot (or any company with less than five years in the pet insurance industry) in our annual rankings because it takes time for providers to establish consistent pricing and customer experience. Our experts regularly analyze over a dozen established companies to find the best. Learn more about this year’s top-ranked companies.
- Underwriter: United States Fire Insurance Company (administered by C&F Insurance Agency, Inc., a Crum & Forster company)
- A.M. Best rating: A
- Bilateral exclusions include ligament and knee conditions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body)
- Claims process:
- Must submit claims within 270 days of the date of service via app, online, fax, or mail
- Claim repayment averages 10-14 business days, and direct deposit and check are options
- Can transfer policy coverage to a new owner as long as the new owner contacts Spot
- Covers curable pre-existing conditions that are free from treatment and symptoms for 180 days
Customer Service Options & Hours
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 855‑941-3571
- Monday – Friday: 8am – 9pm EST
- Live chat:
- Monday – Friday: 8am – 5pm EST
- 24/7 Pet Helpline for pet health, behavior, and wellness advice
- Illnesses: 14 days
- Accidents: 14 days
- Cruciate Ligaments: 14 days
- Hip Dysplasia: 14 days
- Wellness: 0 days
Please know that none of the providers in our pet insurance comparison charts cover pre-existing conditions, cremation and burial costs, pregnancy and breeding, or unnecessary cosmetic procedures.
All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: emergency care, surgery and hospitalization, specialized exams and specialty care, X-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, cancer, chronic conditions, euthanasia, hereditary conditions, congenital conditions, non-routine dental treatment, and prescription medications. However, this coverage may have limitations, so please check your policy.
|Condition||Covered By Spot|
|Wellness Care||Extra Fee|
Accident Only Plan
Spot’s Accident Only Plan covers injuries and accidents only. Illness-related claims are excluded from coverage. Examples of eligible claims are listed below.
- Torn ligaments
- Broken bones
- Bite wounds
- Lodged foreign objects
- Toxic ingestions
Preventative Care Add-On Plans
Once you choose your basic policy, you have the option to add one of two Preventative Care plans shown in the table below. Included are the maximum amounts that Spot will pay each year for that specific routine care.
|Price Per Month||$24.95||$9.95|
|Dental Cleaning or Spay/Neuter||$150||$100 (Dental Only)|
|DHLPP Vaccine/Titer or Feline FVRCP Vaccine/Titer||$25||$20|
|Rabies or Lyme Vaccine/Titer or Feline FIP Vaccine/Titer||$25||$20|
|Heartworm Test or Feline FELV Test||$25||$20|
|Total Annual Benefits||$450||$250|
We’ve gathered some sample prices from Spot for its accident and illness coverage plan. You can choose your deductible, annual payout, and reimbursement options listed in the table below.
|Deductible Options||Payout Options||Reimbursement Options|
The cost of each policy is unique to your pet and depends on many variables, including your pet’s age, breed, location, health conditions, and more. Below are sample prices for select breeds in various locations with different limitations for Spot. Quotes are from December 2021.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||Golden Retriever||Mixed Breed Dog (45 lbs)||Mixed Cat|
|Male or Female||Male||Male||Female||Female|
|Age||3 Years||2 Years||5 Years||4 Years|
|Location||Virginia (22901)||California (90210)||Indiana (46201)||Illinois (60169)|
|Annual Payout Limit||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Price Per Month||$87.76||$95.70||$80.06||$30.37|
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from several top-ranked companies when you fill out just one short form. Also, visit our pet insurance quotes page to see how the cost of Spot stacks up against the competition.
Spot Pet Insurance offers a 10% multi-pet discount when you use this link.
How Is Reimbursement Calculated?
Spot uses a “deductible then co-pay” reimbursement method. This is calculated in the following way:
- Actual vet bill amount – Remaining annual deductible – Co-pay = Reimbursement amount
Spot Pet Insurance has very competitive coverage and a wide variety of customizable payout limits and deductibles; however, the quotes we ran were pretty far above average. Spot is also newer to the pet insurance industry, so we’d like to see them become more well established.
If you’re unsure if Spot is the best fit for your pet insurance needs, you’ve got lots of options. See our top recommendations for pet insurance along with category winners (we rank the best providers for everything from older dogs and dental coverage to wellness coverage and bilateral conditions) to see how Spot compares.