Better Safe than Sorry: Things Not to Feed Dogs or Cats

How do we keep this site running? This post may contain affiliate links — the cost is the same to you, but we get a referral fee. Compensation does not affect rankings. Thanks!

Woman Feeding DogIf you have ever had a dog, then surely you know what it is to come home and find your best pair of sneakers, your carpet, or in my case your small animal internal medicine book chewed to pieces. Looking back on these things it often makes for a good story and a laugh, but we also need to understand that there are some household items that can be harmful and even fatal to your pet if chewed on, eaten, or drank. Inanimate objects, improper food, chemicals and poisons, and plants are the most common things I see causing problems on a daily basis. For that reason we’ve put together this list of  some things not to feed dogs or cats.

Dogs or Cats Will Eat Just About Anything

Dogs and cats both have an uncanny ability to swallow things that shouldn’t be either able to fit in their mouths or feel comfortable in their mouths while being chewed or swallowed. Not all objects are created equal in terms of their potential hazard when swallowed. Some objects are sharp and can lacerate the digestive tract anywhere from the mouth to the colon, and some objects can become dense and hard within the intestine rendering it impossible to pass comfortably or safely.

Problems Harmful Objects Can Cause

Abrasions and lacerations to the digestive tract can potentially create small bleeds that left uncorrected can be very serious or even life-threatening. Bowel obstruction is also a real problem and in my experience even more common as a problem. As the gut attempts to push against an immovable object it becomes inflamed and causes pain and discomfort for the animal. If left unattended the bowel could become ischemic and begin to necrose or die.

Things Not to Feed Dogs or Cats

Commonly encountered objects include chew toys, toy balls, blankets, socks, needles, rocks, and even underwear! The most common symptoms associated with bowel obstruction include:

  • Vomiting
  • Constipation
  • Lethargy
  • Inappetance
  • Abdominal discomfort

Linear foreign bodies are also just as potentially harmful. Items include:

  • String
  • Yarn
  • Rubber bands
  • Dental floss

If you see a piece of string hanging from your pet’s mouth or it’s anus, then DO NOT attempt to pull it out yourself unless it EASILY falls out with gentle manipulation. Pulling on a string that you are uncertain where the other end is attached could result in lacerations to the digestive tract including the tongue, esophagus, and intestines.

Let Your Dog or Cat Eat Their Own Food

Dogs should eat dog food and cats should eat cat food. Table food or food intended for human consumption can result in a multitude of problems for your animal’s health if eaten or drank.

Chocolate is a well known potential toxin for pets. It is metabolized in the animal’s body that loosely mimics the way cocaine is metabolized by a human. Bakers chocolate and dark chocolate are more potent than milk chocolate in terms of toxicity to animals. The toxicity associated with chocolate is dose-dependent and varies with each individual animal’s sensitivity.

It would take much more chocolate to make a Labrador sick than it would a Chihuahua. Raisins and grapes are both toxic to dogs and cats as they can cause damage to their kidneys. Other commonly encountered foods that are toxic to pets include coffee, onions, macadamia nuts, and avocados.

Fatty foods or simply foods that your pet is not accustomed to consuming can also cause problems such as vomiting, diarrhea, and even full blown pancreatitis. It is my opinion that no animal bones (rib, chicken, etc.) should ever be given to pets. I have seen too many animals become ill, need surgery to correct an obstruction, and even die from being fed animal bones. Bones can cause intestinal obstruction and/or splinter resulting in a lacerated gastrointestinal tract.

Keep Your Pet Away From The Car Shop and Medicine Cabinet!

Chemicals, medications, and other toxic substances that are common problems include antifreeze/coolant, gasoline, oil, pesticides, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.), acetaminophen, and rodent bait. Antifreeze is extremely dangerous if ingested. Dogs and cats are attracted to antifreeze due to its sweet smell and taste. Antifreeze can quickly destroy your pet’s kidneys leading to critical illness and commonly death. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are often helpful for many pets just like the are for many humans, but can be harmful or fatal if used without the guidance of a veterinarian. This is especially true for cats and NSAIDs. Rat and mouse bait can inhibit an animal’s clotting ability leading to bleeds, organ failure, and death.

Even Plants Can Be Dangerous to Your Pet

Lastly, I wanted to mention some common plants found in homes and yards that can be hazardous to your pet.  Lantana, oleander, elephant ear, belladonna, lilies, and even aloe can all be toxic and harmful if ingested. This is a very abbreviated list and it is always best to educate yourself more thoroughly about the plants around your home and their potential as being toxic.

Consult With Your Local Veterinarian

This is only a short list of potentially harmful things that are commonly eaten, chewed, or drank by dogs and cats. It is always best to consult with your veterinarian or poison control authority if you have a question or emergency.

ASPCA Animal Poison Control can be reached at 1-888-426-4435.

Alex's first dog was a dalmatian named Domino, who at the time belonged to his girlfriend (now wife) Michelle. Alex first met Domino in Redondo Beach, California and they quickly became best pals. In North Carolina, a black lab mix, Storm, was added to the family. Domino lived to be 14 years old, and Storm 9, and Alex looks back fondly at all the love and happiness these pups added to his life over the years. Alex now lives happily in Winston-Salem, NC with his wife Michelle and their two dogs Bella (yellow lab mix) and Lily (Brown Carolina dog), and he doesn't take for granted for a second how much meaning canines add to his life, and how many lessons he learns from their love, happiness, and eagerness to live life to the fullest.

Leave a Reply

2 Comments on "Better Safe than Sorry: Things Not to Feed Dogs or Cats"

avatar
Milton K. B.
Milton K. B.

My dog has become very ill although you wouldn't know it by her lively activity, she appears normal in all respects except she suddenly will not eat or drink.
I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what she (Gracie) may have eaten.
Several possibilities exist:  
1. Eating a leftover sandwich which may have contained some onion.                        
2. Eating cat feces.
3. Eating parts of small lamb chop bones (pieces).
4. Eating home dried chicken treats that were dried on grates formally used for curing trout.
5. Eating fat trimmings.
Whatever I may or may not done, if you truly love your pet, stick to the food recommended for you pet. They will love just as much and they certainly will be well off.
                                          
 
 

Anonymous
Anonymous

Really, animal bones shouldn’t ever be given to pets. How about the raw meat to dogs? At my house, I have a dog. He is my cutey home friend. Most of the time, I give him the raw meat. Although he is sick sometime. However, there is no symptom of vomiting or Abdominal discomfort. He is fit and healthy due to dog training.

wpDiscuz

Send this to a friend