Almost any kind of insurance is notorious for being difficult to decipher — from inclusions and exclusions to complicated deductibles and premiums. Trupanion, however, claims to set itself apart from the pack in this arena.
Does Trupanion live up to its promise to provide a straightforward and transparent pet insurance experience? Or is it just hype to win your business?
- 90% reimbursement with no payout limits
- Offers optional benefits for additional expenses that cover acupuncture, physical therapy, hydrotherapy and behavioral modification training and therapy
- Hip dysplasia has no age restrictions (but 30-day waiting period)
- BBB rating: A
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Pet is covered in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico
- Offers enrollment from birth
- Quotes tend to be among the most expensive compared to competitors
- One time $35 administration fee ($25 in WA and $0 in MD and MI)
- Policies have 30-day waiting period for illnesses (industry average is 14)
- Allows up to a 20% increase on premiums from year to year (based on the state you live in)
- Pets aren't eligible for enrollment after 14th birthday
- No wellness plan
- Doesn't cover exam fees
- No multi-pet discount
- Claim repayment is within 60 days (but averages 14 days)
While Trupanion has a lot to offer, it did not make it into our top three picks for best pet insurance providers. Our experts have analyzed over a dozen pet insurance providers. Check out our pet insurance reviews to learn more about this year’s top-ranked companies.
- Underwriter: American Pet Insurance Company
- A.M. Best rating (a measure of financial stability): Unrated
- Trupanion has a per-incident deductible instead of an annual deductible; this means you’ll have to meet the deductible multiple times for every new emergency your pet encounters instead of one annual deductible, which means all claims go toward one deductible (annual deductibles are usually less costly to the policyholder)
- No exam period
- No bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body), which is why it’s our choice for best pet insurance for bilateral conditions
- Claims process:
- Must submit claims within 90 days of the treatment date via mail, email or fax
- Claim repayment is within 60 days and averages 14 days
- Option to have Trupanion pay vets directly, so you don’t have to pay a hefty vet bill in advance and wait for reimbursement (not available everywhere but ask your vet, and they may be able to call to set up Trupanion Express)
- 30-day free look period (similar to a money-back guarantee)
- Continues coverage for a pet if its policy transfers to a new owner
- State Farm offers pet insurance through Trupanion
- Among our top picks for best pet dental insurance and best pet insurance for vet direct pay
Defined by Trupanion as:
I. Illnesses or Injuries for which signs or evidence of their potential manifestation existed within the 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date.
II. Illnesses or Injuries masked or controlled by treatment or Medication at any time during the 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date. SAMPLE 14 Medical Insurance for Your Pet – TRU 00001 (v09.201601) SECTION 9 CONTINUED
III. Illnesses or Injuries that occurred or began within the 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date and would have been observable or reasonably known to be present by You or Your Veterinarian or that are evidenced by the presence of typical signs, even if they are not noted in Your Pet’s medical records.
IV. The Actual Cost of Treatment for the following if signs or evidence presented on either side of Your Pet during the period 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date through to and including the 30 days after the Policy Enrollment Date: luxating patella, glaucoma, entropion, ectropion, elbow dysplasia, cataracts, prolapse of the tear gland of the third eyelid (cherry eye), and disease, weakness, instability, tear, partial tear or rupture of the cranial cruciate ligament.
V. Hip dysplasia if there was any sign or evidence of the potential manifestation of the Condition any time prior to the Policy Enrollment Date or if the Condition was reasonably known to be present by You, even if not noted in Your Pet’s medical records.
VI. Illnesses or Injuries that arise from a repetitive and specific activity that leads to medical or surgical treatment of Your Pet (e.g., ingestion of foreign materials and bite wounds) if the same or similar activity occurred two times within the 18 month period prior to the Policy Enrollment Date.
VII. The Actual Cost of Treatment for any cutaneous or subcutaneous mass if cutaneous or subcutaneous mass(es) of the same type (determined by diagnostic testing or medical records descriptions) are present during the 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date through to and including the 30 days after the Policy Enrollment Date.
VIII. The Actual Cost of Treatment relating to intervertebral disc disease if there was any sign or evidence of the potential manifestation of it in any part of the spine prior to the Policy Enrollment Date or during any applicable waiting periods.
Customer Service Hours
- Email, phone, and SMS: 24/7
- 30 days: Illnesses
- 5 days: Accidents
- 30 days: Cruciate ligament events and hip dysplasia
Please know that none of the pet insurance providers in our comparison cover pre-existing conditions or cremation and burial costs. All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: x-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, specialized exams, surgery, hospitalization, emergency care, specialty care, hydrotherapy, chronic conditions, cancer, diagnostic treatment, alternative/holistic therapy, and euthanasia. However, there may be limitations to this coverage, so please check your policy.
|Condition||Covered By Trupanion|
|Exam Required To Set Health Baseline|
|Wellness Care Available For An Extra Fee|
|Non-Routine Dental Treatment|
|Breed, Whelping, Pregnancy|
|Cosmetic Procedures (e.g., Tail Docking, Ear Cropping, Dew Claw Removal) Unless Medically Necessary|
Pet Owner Assistance Add-On Package
The Pet Owner Assistance package costs $4.95/month in addition to the core plan premium.
- Boarding fees in the event you’re hospitalized
- Liability coverage for third-party property damage
- Holiday vacation cancellation costs
- Cremation or burial for deaths due to an accident
- Advertising and rewards for lost pets
Recovery & Complementary Care Rider
This plan’s price can vary from a couple of dollars up to $30 and is in addition to the core plan premium.
- Physical and rehabilitative therapy
- Behavioral modification
Trupanion has a set 90% reimbursement with the option of a $0 to $1,000 deductible and unlimited annual payout limit.
The cost of each policy is unique to your pet and depends on many variables, including your pet’s age, breed, location, health conditions, and more. Below are some example monthly premiums for various pets from June 2021.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||4 Months||2 Years||6 Months||4 Years|
|Location||New York City (10005)||Los Angeles (90010)||Chicago (60604)||Austin (73301)|
|Price Per Month||$184.88||$196.15||$86.31||$31.04|
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from reputable companies when you fill out just one short form. You can also visit our pet insurance quotes page to see how the cost of Trupanion stacks up against the competition.
Below are some reimbursement claim stories for Trupanion customers.
Chief’s Multiple Vet Bills
- Dog: Chief, 3-year-old male Border Collie
- Condition: Emergency vet, ambulance, hospitalization, and rehab/physical therapy
- Trupanion Reimbursed: $40,000
Maelee’s Spay Complications
- Dog: Maelee
- Condition: Spay complications, including a vet visit, overnight emergency clinic, and emergency hospital
- Trupanion Reimbursed: $34,401.80
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding Trupanion pet insurance from our readers.
Can I Cancel Trupanion Online?
You may cancel your Trupanion policy at any time with written notice.
- Fax: 866-405-4536
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: Trupanion USA, 6100 4th Ave South, Suite 200, Seattle, WA 98108
If you’d like a replacement for your Trupanion insurance policy, take a look at our pet insurance reviews to see which pet insurance companies we’ve selected in our top three.
Need a better understanding of why you should consider purchasing pet insurance for your pup? Check out our video below.
Interested in seeing how Trupanion stacks up against other popular pet insurance companies? We’ve written comparison articles for you to see how Trupanion and other leading pet insurance companies compare in coverage, customer service and reputation, claim repayment timeline, plan customization, and price.
- Trupanion vs Healthy Paws
- Trupanion vs Petplan
- Trupanion vs Nationwide
- Trupanion vs Embrace
- Trupanion vs Lemonade
- Trupanion vs Pets Best
- Trupanion vs Figo
Trupanion’s policy choices are less complicated than many other pet insurance providers, which may be appealing for some consumers. Of course, this also means fewer options for coverage and, thus, pricing. It’s also on the expensive side compared to similar coverage from other companies, and its underwriter is unrated by A.M. Best.
Visit our best pet insurance article to see our top pet insurance picks and picks for special needs, price, discounts, health conditions, and more. a comprehensive comparison of the leading insurance providers for your four-pawed family members. See how Trupanion stacks up against the competition and if they’re the right pick of the litter for you.
Are you considering pet insurance through Trupanion?