When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission. Here’s how it works.
While dog DNA testing has come a long way over the last few years to identify mixed breeds and genetic health risks, not all testing kits are created equal. Orivet’s at-home dog DNA tests are some of the most affordable you can find. But do they give you the accuracy and results you want? Find out in our Orivet DNA test review.
Orivet Dog DNA Test Review
Product Name: Orivet Dog DNA Test
Product Description: Orivet offers dog DNA tests to learn more about your dog's breed identification and genetic health screening.
Our team determines the overall rating by considering many criteria, including ease of testing, genetic health screenings, breed identification, pricing, customer support, and more.
Orivet is a reputable company that employs a highly accredited laboratory for its testing. Their tests cover many of the same breeds and genetic health conditions as competitors, but at a more affordable price point. However, Orivet lags slightly behind Embark and Wisdom Panel due to extended wait times for results and mixed feedback on their customer support.
- 350 recognized and developing breeds in their database
- Genetic testing for over 200 canine health conditions and 40 physical traits
- Health risks classified based on likelihood and impact
- Gives you adult weight prediction
- Results are emailed within 2-3 weeks
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Results not as detailed as Embark and Wisdom Panel
- Some customers said it took a long time to get results
- Geno Pet breed identification screens for over 350 breeds, types, and varieties of canines, and results include the percentage of each breed that makes up your dog
- Geno Pet+ screens for 350 breeds and over 200 genetic diseases and over 40 physical traits
- Purebred Dog DNA tests available for 10 different breeds* (only screen for breed-specific health conditions and traits, so this is more affordable than Geno Pet+)
- All test results include a personalized wellness plan
- Orivet has been working with veterinarians and breeders for over 10 years
- Company contributed to the development of standards of genetic testing in animals
- Member and sponsor of the International Partnership for Dogs
*Breeds include Australian Shepherds, Miniature Australian Shepherds, Beagles, Border Collies, French Bulldogs, German Shepherds, Golden Retrievers, Goldendoodles, Labrador Retrievers, and Labradoodles.
- Geno Pet+ (breed, health & trait screening) –
- Geno Pet (breed ID):
- Purebred Dog Full Breed Profile (health):
Orivet is often sold for less than MSRP on Amazon.
If you’re wondering how to collect your dog’s DNA properly, Orivet’s video tutorial below shows you the easy steps to take to get a good cheek swab.
Orivet is a well-respected company that uses a highly accredited laboratory for their testing. They test for many of the same breeds and genetic health conditions that the top two dog DNA testing companies do — and at less expensive pricing. However, Orivet falls slightly short compared to Embark and Wisdom Panel, largely because of the reported long wait times for results and mixed reviews for accuracy and their customer support.Tagged With: DNA