To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
Have you always wondered about your dog’s mysterious mix of breeds? If you got your dog from a shelter or a rescue, you likely have no concrete idea. With the DNA My Dog breed identification test kit, you may be able to confirm some of your suspicions about what the heck your dog is. But is this the best DNA breed test for the results you want? We uncover all the details about DNA My Dog to help you decide.
DNA My Dog Reviews
DNA My Dog might be a suitable option for a basic and affordable dog DNA test. However, it’s worth noting that it may not provide the same level of comprehensive results as some of the higher-end at-home DNA dog testing kits.
Our team determines the overall rating by considering several criteria, including ease of testing, breed identification, genetic health screenings, pricing, customer support, and more.
- Affordably priced
- Tests for 350 breeds, types, and varieties
- Free replacement swab if damaged or lost
- Discover your dog’s biological age (premium test)
- Get results in 2-3 weeks
- Charitable shelter program donates funds to U.S. and Canadian shelters
- Results aren’t as thorough as Embark and Wisdom Panel
- Some customer complaints about accuracy
- Tests for 350 different dog breeds (you can find the breed list on the website)
- Easy cheek-swab sample collection (see video below)
- Gives you a comprehensive guide to personality traits, behaviors, and exercise routines for each breed in your dog
- Results include a guide of common illnesses and health concerns that affect each breed in your pup
- Free shipping
DNA My Dog Results
Unlike some other breed identification kits that give you specific percentage breakdowns, DNA My Dog breaks down your dog’s breeds using a breed composition scale with different levels.
- Level S – a single breed match, meaning they only found 1 breed at a high level in the DNA of your dog (most mixed-breed dogs won’t have a breed in this category)
- Level 1 – match between 61-99%
- Level 2 – 40-60% range
- Level 3 – 25%-39% range
- Level 4 – 10%-25% range
- Level 5 – 10% or less
- Level T – trace DNA amounts in your dog
Are you wondering if you can actually get a cheek swab from your pup? This video shows you the easy steps with some tips for difficult dogs.
If you want a bare-bones test that won’t break your budget, DNA My Dog could be just what you’re looking for. But keep in mind, you’re not going to get the level of detail you’ll find with some top at-home DNA dog testing kits. Why? You get general ranges of your dog’s breed breakdown rather than specific percentages of each breed. Still, if you want to save money, DNA My Dog can be a fun way to discover more about your pup.Tagged With: DNA