Ew, That Smell: How To Get Dog Pee Smell Out Of Carpet

1st
Nature's Miracle logo
2nd
Sunny & Honey logo
3rd
Rocco & Roxie logo

As dog owners, we’ve all been there. You got delayed at the office or running errands, and your dog couldn’t hold it any longer. Of course, he picked the perfect place on the carpet to pee. Even worse, your pet has chosen a regular spot to relieve himself in your home because you haven’t been able to eliminate the smell completely.

Do you know how to get dog pee out of carpet? Never fear! We’ll give you some expert tips on how to get dog pee smell out of carpet for good!

Article Overview

What’s The Best Way To Get Dog Urine Out Of Carpet?

When your dog pees on your carpet, there are a few issues you have to address — the smell, the carpet stains and how much of the carpet is saturated, i.e., how long since he peed (and how long the urine has had to seep deep into the carpet).

First, the basics. What’s the best dog urine remover? You might be surprised to know that it’s plain old water. Below are some tips on the first steps to take to get dog urine out of carpet as soon as you find his “oops” spot(s).

How To Remove Dry Urine Stains From Carpet

1. Find the exact location of the stain with a UV flashlight.
  2. Thoroughly rinse the stain with water. A carpet cleaner will do the best job since it saturates the carpet with clean water and sucks up the dirty water. Tip: Don’t use a steam cleaner. The heat from a steam cleaner permanently sets the stain and odor.
  3. Apply a pet odor neutralizer (see our recommendations below). Be sure to follow the instructions and test a hidden area of the carpet first to make sure the neutralizer doesn’t stain the carpet.
  4. Allow the spot to completely dry.
  5. If the area still looks stained after drying out, use a high-quality carpet stain remover (our picks are below).
  6. If the urine has soaked into the padding under your carpet, you may have no choice but to replace that area of the carpet and padding. Once the carpet pad is wet, it’s extremely difficult (if not impossible) to clean and dry it.

Tip: The Humane Society urges you NOT to use heavy cleaning chemicals, like ammonia or vinegar. They actually don’t remove the odor, and the strong scent of the chemicals may entice your dog to mark their area again (learn more about why dogs mark their territory).

How To Remove Wet Urine Stains From Carpet

1. Place a few layers of paper towels over the carpet to soak up the urine.
  2. Cover the paper towels with a clean towel or several layers of newspaper (additional paper towels would work as well).
  3. Place newspaper or a clean towel under the affected area if possible (for example, if it’s an area rug).
  4. Press firmly into the stain with an old, clean shoe or something else that you don’t mind getting urine on to help absorb as much of the urine as possible.
  5. Replace the paper towels and towels/newspaper if they become soaked and repeat step 4 (if needed).
  6. Once the urine is soaked up, rinse the area with cool water, and be sure to soak up the water with towels or a wet vac. (If you use a towel, make sure it has been washed multiple times, so the dye from the towel is not transferred to the carpet.)
  7. After the area is dry, vacuum the carpet.

Best Pet Odor Neutralizers & Best Pet Stain Removers

All of our top picks are dual-action, so they work as both a pet odor neutralizer and a pet stain remover. Plus, they’re all affordable. Find out how to get urine smell out of carpet below.

Nature’s Miracle Advanced Pet Trigger Sprayer Review

Nature's Miracle Advanced Pet Trigger Sprayer#1

View on Amazon

• Oxygen-infused, bio-enzymatic formula
  • Fast drying
  • For use on carpets, furniture, floors, clothing and more
  • Guaranteed to permanently eliminate stain and odors
  • 35 fl oz

Price

Sunny & Honey Professional Pet Stain And Odor Eliminator Review

Sunny & Honey Professional Pet Stain and Odor Eliminator#2

View on Amazon

• Natural bio-enzymatic formula
  • Children and pet safe
  • Multi-surface formula for carpet, rugs, furniture, hardwood, leather, pet beds, crates and car upholstery
  • Made in the USA
  • 10% of profits donated to animal rescues and shelters
  • 100% full refund if not satisfied
  • 32 fl oz

Price

Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator Review

Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator#3

View on Amazon

• Contains natural enzymatic bacteria that are activated on contact with odors and stains
  • Pet and child safe (no chlorine or hazardous propellants)
  • Safe for any surface (carpet, floor, pet bedding, furniture, etc.)
  • 100% satisfaction guarantee
  • 32 fl oz

Price

Other Items You’ll Need

As we mentioned above, there are some other items you’ll want to have on hand if you’re working on old, dry urine stains. Here are some of our recommendations.

Armor All Wet Vac

Armor All Wet VacView on Amazon

This 2-1/2 gallon wet vac is great at saturating your carpet and sucking up the dirty water. It’s even powerful enough to suck up solid materials (like pet vomit!). This wet vac is easy to use and small enough to store in a closet. It also makes a great car or workshop vacuum.

Price

Vansky UV Flashlight

UV FlashlightView on Amazon

This Amazon bestselling ultraviolet black light can help you spot hard-to-see pet urine stains on carpets, curtains, furniture, rugs or any type of fabric. It takes three AA batteries, which aren’t included.

Price

Oprah, A Pet Stain Removal Expert?

Oprah Winfrey is an expert on many things, including best stain removers. Who knew?! Check out her advice on how to get pee smell out of carpet on Live with Kelly & Michael (now Live with Kelly and Ryan). Oprah agrees with our top pick in her recommendations.

How To Remove Dog Pee Stains From Carpet Infographic

Here’s a handy graphic with the step-by-step instruction, should you need it.

How To Remove Dog Pee Stains From Carpet Infographic

To share this infographic on your site, simply copy and paste the code below:

Don’t Give Up On Ridding Your Home Of Pet Odor

If you’ve tried everything under the sun with no success, we hope we’ve given you the cure for how to get dog urine out of carpet, as well as other tips for pet stain removal. We did our research to help you not give up hope! You don’t have to live with the smell of dog urine, get rid of that dog pee on carpet today.

Your dog could be “marking his territory” if it seems like he’s going potty when you’re away for short periods. Learn more about why dogs mark their territory and also how to get rid of pee smells outside.

What’s your secret to getting rid of pet pee odor?

Sally holds a BA in English from James Madison University and began her 25-year writing career as a grad student at the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Journalism & Mass Communications. She’s been a pet parent since college years (and spent her whole childhood with pets).

Now as a parent of two teenagers, she’s made sure to raise her daughters to learn how to love and care for pets (and other animals) in the most responsible and loving ways. As a result, she and her daughters now have 5 rescued dogs and cats who essentially rule their home! Sally has also volunteered over the years to help raise funds for various animal nonprofit organizations.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

rachel frampton
December 26, 2019 9:22 am

My dog, Toby peed on my carpet a lot of times, and I have no idea how to properly get rid of the smell. Thank you for this; I’ll make sure to apply a pet odor neutralizer. I hope this works, cause if not, I’ll start looking for a pet odor removal service.

Delilah
October 20, 2019 12:13 am

I can’t see any pee stains, even with my black light. But I sure can smell dog urine in my bedroom.
I made the mistake of STEAM CLEANING my carpets & now I find out steam sets the dog urine smell!! What do I do now? Replacing carpet is not an option.

Nicky
October 5, 2019 9:44 pm

Hi there!
We have a little anxious mutt who seems to keep peeing on the same part of the rug next to the door. We let her out before we leave and have food/treats for her in her bed so she is excited. She, however refuses to eat or drink when we are gone and still poops and pees. We did our best at removing it but you can see all of her pee spots under the rug on the padding part. Should we replace the rug? Also, how would you suggest we keep her from peeing on a new rug?

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
October 7, 2019 12:05 pm
Reply to  Nicky

The rug probably smells of her urine, which is causing her to re-mark and pee in the same place every time. Here are some things I would try, but please know I am not a professional dog trainer and this is just speaking from my own experience.

1) Try removing the rug from the area.
2) Don’t have food/water accessible to her while you’re gone, it may be causing her to go to the bathroom inside.
3) Take her outside to go potty before you leave. Try having her on a leash and say the command “go potty” over and over. Sometimes she won’t go. When she finally does go potty, praise her by giving her affection and a treat.
4) Crate her when you are away. Dogs are less likely to go to the bathroom in a crate since they don’t want to lay in their own waste.

Diane
October 3, 2019 3:04 pm

We have an 11 yr. old border collie. She is a wonderful dog, but can no longer use her back legs. We have a walker for her and a sling to lift her to pee which she happily does. Problem is, it sometimes gets on her rear legs and we are not sure the best product to use to get rid of the smell so we can take her in the car without taking the smell along also. We have lots of extra cheap blankets on the floor and use lots of pads throughout the day. She does not pee on the carpet except if she is dragging herself along to see who might have stopped by and gets excited . Any help would be appreciated. Don’t want to have too strong of a soap to use. We do put her in the tub from time to time just to get the bottom half washed well.
Thanks,
Diane

Karen
May 22, 2020 11:55 am
Reply to  Diane

Put the poor dog down. They are on this earth for a short time.

Ali
May 26, 2020 11:53 am
Reply to  Karen

Okay Karen. Once you become older and slightly incontinent, the best option is to end your life, right? Cause who wants to take care of a human that might leak a little? These are living creatures who are loved. You don’t kill them because of a minor inconvenience that they can’t control. Senior dogs can wear diapers, take bladder supplements, and sometimes a small surgery will correct the problem. I truly hope you do not own any animals. Why would you want to make their life unnecessarily shorter than it already is?

Katie
July 25, 2019 5:04 pm

Wow. I came on here to find a solution to cleaning my carpets and removing stain but all I see is a bunch of immature adults bickering back and forth with one another. If somebody says something that is rude or obnoxious just ignore it. The more you feed into their ” Waiting for the animal to die” the more obnoxious the person gets. People like that with or without an animal or scum. They probably live like scum.There house is probably disgusting and they’re just miserable with their life. It’s not the dog that makes them miserable it’s the way they live and how they are as a person. Unfortunately their kids are going to probably grow up the same way so we’ll always have people like this in the world. Don’t even pay any attention to them. It’s not where the getting yourself all upset over somebody who’s already a miserable person.

Gia
August 28, 2019 10:57 am
Reply to  Katie

I also came on here to find a solution and your comment was the first. Hypocrite. You literally did what you suggested others do. Just ignore it! Then add your two sense by saying the person is miserable, scum, their children will grow up to be the same etc. then closing your comment with “Just ignore it”. You are no better than the person or people you’re calling scum.

Peter
July 8, 2019 4:30 pm

When all these products fail to produce results, call a carpet cleaner and ask to make sure they have a Water Claw subsurface extraction tool. I have the $300 Flash Extractor tool and it is the ONLY way to flush the urine from the pad, where 80% or more of the urine is. This $300 tool is connected to a $4500 extractor and a $1500 booster. If you think your $100-200 carpet cleaner is something, guess again, it is a toy.

Loretta
May 20, 2020 11:21 pm
Reply to  Peter

Hi a dog came for a visit stayed in the back room smells like dog pee I wanted to clean it up it is dry so just wanted to know if there was something I could buy to get rid of the smell they are saying baking soda over nite that’s why I like wood floors for pets my other dog was trained not to go in the house the dog that was visiting was not trained right plus being a puppy I am moving and they told me they are taking the carpet out anyways to remodel I think as soon as the dog has an accident it has to be cleaned up immediately or like you said to have someone like you come out with the right equipment to have it done properly more people should know about your company because it sounds like the best and very professional Thank you

Brian Limpan
May 28, 2019 6:35 am

Even though cleaning the carpet may get rid of the stain and/or smell, the carpet may still leave behind a foul smell after a few years. You’re better off replacing your carpet after a few years to give your Signature Home a whole new look.

Tiffany Locke
January 21, 2019 9:54 pm

Thanks for explaining how to properly remove dog urine out of a carpet and how the issues, such as spells and stains, can be affected by the saturation and how long it’s been there. Your advice to use a UV flashlight to determine where the urine is before rinsing with water and then applying a pet odor neutralizer is a good idea. I’d imagine that you could also look online to find a local company that offers pet odor removal services so that you can work with professionals who use the best products and have the skills and experience to properly remove the smells, stains, and other problems in order to prevent any long-term damage or problems for your carpet or other flooring.

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
November 12, 2018 8:33 am

Thank you!

Diane
October 9, 2018 8:57 am

Good morning. My husband and I have 3 dogs (2 English bulldogs and a 7 year old rescue mix) and wouldn’t trade them for the world. I am very disheartened by some of the comments that people are just “waiting for their dog to die”. WOW!! These are some of the most disturbing comments I’ve ever read. Very cold and cruel.
The reason I read these comments is because I thought I just might get some good advice on how to remove the urine odors from my carpet. Not what I was expecting. Anyhow, if there is anyone who can give me some GOOD advice I would appreciate it. We crate the dogs while we are away from the home but it is still happening. Getting rid of the dogs is not an option. I realize that sometimes it’s not their fault and accidents happen. We just spent A lot of money on replacing old carpet and within a week we have 4 spots that I can’t the smell out of. Its actually driving me crazy. I personally believe that it’s a territory marking, although all dogs are fixed (one of the bulldogs is a male) and don’t know how to stop that. PLEAE HELP!?

Starr
July 24, 2019 12:21 pm
Reply to  Diane

I know this is an older post but I do animal rescue. if you are crating your furbabies and letting them out side as soon as you are home and still having issues of one or more going inside..this could be a health issue.. there may be a bacterial infection like UTI involved OR it could be a stress related issue. determine which one is doing it and find the issue..Best to you and thank you for standing up for the elderly furbabies and all furbabies..they are not throw aways when one is tired of tending to them

Tonya Clayton Carr
October 10, 2018 7:29 pm
Reply to  Diane

Before replacing g carpet you MUST seal out the oder from the subfloor. Painting with oil base primer or a…polyurethane…ext…thus will seal the oder from x I ming. Ack and the dogs can’t smell their orginal marking spots. I painted mine. ..replaced carpets. ..keep doors closed to bedrooms…gate up no entry for hallway and I also use pee pad’s and spray on the center of the pad….with a product called “Go Here” they pee on pads and leash them at night…..no feeding after 6

Mrs Kathleen Futcher
July 29, 2018 3:26 pm

Sorry for butting in on your discussion but the word as an adult is DOG not doggie. So annoying.

Delilah
October 20, 2019 12:19 am

I adore all my doggies.

Jan Anderson
April 30, 2019 10:44 am

And you just HAD to complain. So no one is perfect.

Nancy Ojeda
June 9, 2018 11:48 pm

Wow, I had no idea it was so easy to clean up these messes I’ll have to use this trick the next time my dog has an accident. Thanks for sharing!

Frank
May 17, 2018 9:00 pm

Just waiting for the dogs to die so my living room doesn’t smell like porta potty anymore. They go in the same spot constantly for the past 3 years.

Delilah
October 20, 2019 12:21 am
Reply to  Frank

Are you kidding me? Why don’t you please give your dogs to someone who will love them?
What a horrible thing to say.

Debbie Mann
September 6, 2019 1:59 pm
Reply to  Frank

Sounds like the owner not the dogs. Maybe the dogs are waiting for you to die

No name
April 21, 2019 12:40 am
Reply to  Frank

Frank, you disgust me . What a horrible thing to say! May karma come back on you with a vengeance!!

Joy Doyle
February 10, 2019 10:57 pm
Reply to  Frank

Why do you even own any dogs? You don’t deserve any living creature for that matter!

Cheryl
November 16, 2018 8:10 pm
Reply to  Frank

Don’t wait for them to dir just give them to a dog-loving friend or family. I wish I knew you, I ’d take both off of your hands. I would LOVE to.

Jen
October 11, 2018 10:54 pm
Reply to  Frank

Waiting for the dogs to die?? Seriously! You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking that. If you don’t want them, you never should have gotten them. How would you feel if a family member told you they were waiting for you to die?

Dawn
July 30, 2018 10:11 pm
Reply to  Frank

You people are horrible wanting your dogs to die already ! Hopefully you will die for your children so they don’t have the burden to take care of you

cindy johnson
August 14, 2018 12:10 pm
Reply to  Dawn

People are not supposed to live in a “Barn” to accomodate pets. If they can no longer retain their bowels, are we never supposed to never have company because our house smells like urine? My dog’s medical problem cannot be fixed and has ruined $1500 in flooring. I will not live in a barn or prevent people from visiting me because my house smells like urine. The value in a dog is to provide a better life for it’s owner; in return we take care of them. We aren’t supposed to suffer because of them. There are plenty of other animals in the world that need homes who don’t have problems.

Ang
November 23, 2019 2:14 pm
Reply to  cindy johnson

You should not own a dog. They become family. You don’t get rid of your mom because she can no longer make it to the restroom. So I will not get rid of my dog that has accidents. It’s awful to think their are people out there who just throw their dog out once they can no longer act in the manner you think is right because of age or medical issues.

Delilah
October 20, 2019 12:23 am
Reply to  cindy johnson

I pray you don’t have kids.
Wow. Disturbing comment.

Sam
July 26, 2019 12:28 am
Reply to  cindy johnson

Wow. You really shouldn’t be a dog owner. Please, if there is the slightest shred of compassion in you, find a rescue and give up your dogs. Then, for God’s sake, never get another animal. Accepting a dog or cat is a commitment on your part for the life of the animal. Dogs get old and incontinent just like people. I feel sorry for both your dogs and your parents. Don’t get anymore dogs, and please teach your kids to never get a dog- since they obviously have no role model for how to understand the commitment. I don’t understand how people like you are made. Its unnatural .

Maggie
July 24, 2019 2:35 pm
Reply to  cindy johnson

Please never get another dog, but if you do, dog diapers are perfect for dogs with chronic incontinence. Dealing with elderly animals isn’t always fun. But there are a lot of solutions to manage a dog who has regular accidents. I have a 12 year old maltese who never met a shoe he didn’t want to pee on, so he is either crated for short times (like an hour or two) or he wears a diaper while I’m at work. It’s really not a suffering ordeal to deal with his peeing.

Bobette L Empey
June 21, 2019 1:09 pm

They make dog diapers!!!

No name
April 8, 2019 1:23 pm
Reply to  cindy johnson

cindy johnson and for people on here who cant take a dog having an accident DONT GET ONE

D. Pa.
August 13, 2019 4:00 am
Reply to  No name

This comment section is for people CAN take a dog having an accident, but don’t want their house to smell like the corner of a subway station (I.e. nasty urine)! Thus the title of the article. Most pet owners can handle the occasional accident and most people want the smell gone

Robert N
March 4, 2019 12:32 pm
Reply to  cindy johnson

Get rid of your pet immediately. No matter how you do it – your pet will be better without YOU.

Donna Schadegg
January 13, 2019 5:30 pm
Reply to  cindy johnson

when you turn 60 you will pee in your pants and probably on floor and furniture don’t say you won’t you will it’s thenature of being human it happens to everyone but I would be currious if your children have the same feeling and have you guys killed because you soiled their floors furniture karma what goes around comes around. I have 7 dogs 3 children would never dream of putting dogs or kids down because of soiling bet you guys made horrible parents too

Karen
May 22, 2020 12:06 pm
Reply to  Donna Schadegg

I’m 65 and I don’t pee my pants!

Watching
March 14, 2019 2:38 pm
Reply to  Donna Schadegg

Peeing at 60? Get a grip. 60 year olds are healthy and quite active.

Lis
March 9, 2019 1:17 pm
Reply to  Donna Schadegg

I cannot even imagine what you think you are talking about. I didn’t ever hear about the definite incontinence at age 60. Guess I’ve been lucky.

Pam
January 21, 2019 12:33 pm
Reply to  Donna Schadegg

I am 60…almost 61 and I don’t pee my pants, pee on the floor or the furniture.

Jan
July 21, 2019 12:15 pm
Reply to  Pam

I’m 79 and don’t pee my pants or on the floor, just don’t get me laughing to hard, that might be another story..
I have a little Pom, I got when he was a yr old, He is a sneaky smart little dog, he marks on my carpet, I can never catch him, he’ll go to the door to go outside to do his business but still marks or pees in the same spot. Mostly in my bedroom, I now keep him in a kennel when I’m in my bedroom, or gated in the kitchen when I’m not home, I have to let him out every couple hrs.

no name
December 20, 2018 8:45 pm
Reply to  cindy johnson

You are en evil, bad person who doesn’t deserve to have any animals. I’m sure you have, annoying, loud and messy children who are equally disposable.

Lawanda
October 21, 2018 12:56 pm
Reply to  cindy johnson

YOU ARE A HORRIBLE PERSON-I PRAY you never ever get another animal. I will happily take ownership of your “problem animal”. Please contact me for instructions!!!

Marni
October 14, 2018 6:47 pm
Reply to  cindy johnson

They do make dog diapers. Check into it. And don’t get any other animals.

Kay
September 27, 2018 6:15 pm
Reply to  cindy johnson

WOW, you guys are horrible people. You should not have a pet whatsoever with this sort of arrogant mentality and no understanding. Pets arent your little accessories they have needs and they have accidents. Dogs are best trained if they have great leaders – and even at that accidents will ALWAYS happen. They dont purposely ruin things to hurt you – they are animals. I really hope none of you get anymore pets… terrible owners.

Ang
November 23, 2019 2:17 pm
Reply to  Kay

I agree with you! Please do not get a dog if your going to throw it out over a few accidents. My dog is my family and will be with me NO MATTER WHAT until he passes. Pee stains and all I love him and will always be there for him! That’s our job once we take on the responsibility of having a dog!

Dana
May 22, 2018 8:41 am
Reply to  Frank

Same here. My sweet 100 lb Boxer has cancer and hip dysplasia. I told my husband we will NOT get another dog (or inside animal) and we will replace the carpeting when she passes. Unfortunately, we still have to deal with grandbaby oopsies.

Karen
May 22, 2020 12:04 pm
Reply to  Dana

Really?? Poor dog is suffering and you are waiting for him to die?!! Be an adult and put the poor dog out of his misery! I do not understand why people do this to their animals. I’ve had to put down three dogs and a cat in my life. Yes they were my family. My dad lived on a farm growing up. He taught us to do what’s best for the animal so they don’t suffer. Yes, you’ll cry but know they are in a better place.

T Walton
May 17, 2018 12:13 pm

I have used some of these products and in the short term they mask the smell but it returns. I have found a product “Got Pee?” that really works. Check out their site.

lola
May 2, 2018 9:14 pm

Nothing works. Dried stains are bad, we wash them and stink is still there. Wet stains are more manageable, I do the paper towel trick then soak with the stain remover. But dried ones went thru the entire carpet and even thru the wood under carpet (how do I know? Replaced carpet once, the wood underneath was soaked with the stinker’s urine), so I have the smell all the time, just waiting my dog will pass away as she is very old and sick, and then we will put the hard wood. In the mean time, professional cleaning doesn not help, vet vaccuum that we own, does not help either. I am frustrated.

Lois
December 22, 2018 10:49 am
Reply to  lola

Another cold hearted person. I have a 15 year old pug and she has issues. I have never wished or am waiting for her to pass. She’s a huge part of our family.

Diana
September 6, 2019 10:32 pm
Reply to  Lois

I think a lot of peop are taking this way to personal. Your dog will die someday and why replace the carpet til it does. Not meaning to be a bitch. I don’t think anyone wishes their animal dead. Just think people are taking things wrong.

Mommak
February 21, 2019 11:19 am
Reply to  Lois

I believe you took that out of context. lola said she was waiting to replace the carpet until after the dog passed. There is nothing cold hearted about that.

Kitten
April 1, 2020 2:59 am
Reply to  Mommak

Well actually she said “just waiting my dog will die, as she is very old and sick and then I will replace the flooring” so not exactly what you’re trying to make it sound like. Js.

Violet
May 13, 2018 8:10 am
Reply to  lola

The ONLY thing that helps the smell of dried urine is to SEAL the subfloor with a shellac or polyurethane and then proceed to either put new carpet, or in my case….ceramic tile down., Nothing will totally get the smell of urine out of a carpet or a subfloor other than throwing it away or sealing it up. You can use products that will MASK it temporarily but don’t expect it to disappear.

Tonya Clayton Carr
October 10, 2018 7:22 pm
Reply to  Violet

This is TRUE or paint with Oil primer

Anna
September 2, 2017 6:06 pm

We have old (like several months old) spots where our puppies have gone pee on the carpet. We have used a steam cleaner. The stains are gone, but the smell is still there in some spots. Any advice on how to get rid of the smell?

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
September 5, 2017 10:05 am
Reply to  Anna

Hi Anna, have you read the section under “Older Stains (Dried)” and tried out what is discussed there?

Alexis
June 20, 2017 12:19 pm

I have been trying to find how to get rid of dog urine smell and bought the Nature’s Miracle. It saved my carpet big time!

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
June 7, 2017 2:50 pm

How to get dog urine smell out of carpet from my experience. We have Resolve for pet stains and odors. We were with our dog when she had her accident inside so we were able to act fast. We blotted the area with a rag to try and pick up as much urine as possible, then sprayed the area and let it set in for a while. Then scrubbed really well and we haven’t noticed a smell or any stain.

Jenny
June 13, 2017 4:10 pm
Reply to  Kimberly Alt

I’ve been looking for how to remove dog urine smell from carpet and think I found the answer. My family grew up using Resolve and I remember it not working. However, when I got married my husband swore by it, so I gave it another chance. They must’ve changed their formula because it actually works! We’ve only had to use it a couple times, once when our dog went potty inside and another time when I spilled watermelon juice on our WHITE chair (shhhh don’t tell my husband). Thankfully both stains are gone and everything looks (and smells) great!

Gary G
May 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Great article Sally, definitely covers this topic in-depth! However, we’ve got some carpets in a rental apartment that have old, and I mean really old, and now somewhat crusty, pee. What would you recommend as the best carpet cleaner for old pet urine?

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
May 31, 2017 12:39 pm
Reply to  Gary G

That’s a great question Gary. Regarding how to remove dog urine from carpet that has set in, we recommend the same products and techniques. People really rave about Nature’s Miracle and some members of our team have used it as well. We’ve read that it performs well for urine that has dried up, so I would recommend purchasing it and seeing how it works. Best of luck!

No name
April 21, 2019 12:48 am
Reply to  Kimberly Alt

I have used Natures Miracle, Resolve even something from the vet, nothing gets the smell of dog pee out of my carpet and couch along the corners. I have cleaned with hot water with dish soap and vinegar as well. After carpet is dry, sprinkle a good amount of baking soda, use a stiffer brush to get it clear down into the carpet and vac the next day. Nothing is working, my 2 male dogs are ruining my brand new home

Sam
July 26, 2019 1:08 am
Reply to  No name

Two male dogs? and you’re surprised there’s pee? LoL. Let me guess… either a)one or both dogs is not fixed, or b) they got fixed after being old enough to build the habit of marking. Even if they are neutered, a pair of male dogs is usually a bad idea. Canines, especially males, are hard-wired to mark around other males(and sometimes worse… aggression is also common between 2 males in the same house). I’d recommend either finding a new, carefully chosen home for one of them, or replacing your carpet with tile, wood, or linoleum. Even if you get rid of one, you’ll still have to replace the flooring and retrain the remaining dog by crating and watch him like a hawk when uncrated. I’d go with new, non-carpet flooring.

Patty
May 17, 2018 9:59 pm
Reply to  Kimberly Alt

Can you buy this product at Walmart?? Behind my recliner I’m smelling pee. My dog died last year

Bree
August 25, 2018 9:43 am
Reply to  Patty

Kelly
January 27, 2017 11:45 pm

I used a rented carpet cleaner extractor which is way more powerful then the home versions and the Nature’s Miracle posted above, not the gallon type. I really thought it was a lost cause but it worked! 🙂

Eric butler
January 14, 2017 9:23 pm

If wood sub floor pull carpet completely out allonh with padding and discard. With skillsae set to depth of sub floor cut the sob out to nearest 4×4 ft dimention replace and screw down replace carpet and get rid of the dog

Savannah
October 31, 2017 3:59 pm
Reply to  Eric butler

I really hope you don’t have any pets. You’re part of the problem of over crowded pounds, unnecessary euthenasia and why some dogs have a hard time getting adopted. My dog has problems peeing in the house because she’s scared all the time. I wouldn’t be surprised if her constant fear, flinching, shakes and anxiety was caused by someone just like you.
You sound like an ignorant lazy piece of work. Someone should get rid of you. I’d rather be in a house full of dog pee than be around you any day.

rachel pence
August 14, 2018 12:20 pm
Reply to  Savannah

Some people don’t mind living like hillbillies but many of us like living in a reasonably clean home. I cannot have anyone over to my house because of how it smells right now. THere is a limit to what people can take; I dont have tens of thousands of dollars to keep replacing flooring because my dog has a medical problem. I think it’s ridiculous to let animals control your life. I have provided a wonderful home to my pets but there are lots of other dogs that needs homes that won’t pee in my house all the time. An occasional accident is fine but not weekly or daily.

Sam
July 26, 2019 1:18 am
Reply to  rachel pence

Rachel, get rid of the dog to a rescue(for its sake, not yours), then from now on please don’t inflict yourself on anymore dogs. They deserve better. People who don’t want the responsibility of caring for old or sick dogs have a responsibility to never accept young healthy dogs- since health and age is only a temporary state, and guaranteed to eventually decline. Only an idiot wouldn’t realize this ahead of time.

Rob
January 8, 2019 12:37 am
Reply to  rachel pence

So if you had a kid that was born with medical problems would you trade in that one too? Getting a pet is a lifetime commitment through the good and bad….like marriage, or are you divorced too? Such a disposable life we live in today surrounded by lazy people who are too self absorbed and don’t know how to work at anything in life!

Kitten
April 1, 2020 3:11 am
Reply to  Rob

Hell ya!

Donna Schadegg
January 13, 2019 5:40 pm
Reply to  Rob

well said

Ananda
October 28, 2018 1:07 am
Reply to  rachel pence

Rachel Pence-Well, then don’t get on a forum and spout about it. It just sounds like you are looking for validation of your thought process toward your pet friend… not actually looking for viable ways to clean a stain or remove an odor. There are products on the market to help your dog not mark its territory and such… but it just sounded like your gonna do what you do anyway. Good luck to your dog.

Lawanda
October 21, 2018 1:02 pm
Reply to  rachel pence

Didnt you share this same post=or vary similar under Cindy Johnson on this same date? You seem to want to get people riled up over your unfeeling comments about animals. You might want to seek professional help for you. I’m pretty sure you are just a sick person wanting attention!!!

Rose Uerling
August 5, 2017 11:28 pm
Reply to  Eric butler

We are going back to crating dog when we are in bed or at work. And got him an outdoor kennel area.

Linda Schwarzenberg
September 3, 2017 11:39 pm
Reply to  Rose Uerling

That means keeping your animal in a cage 16 plus hours a day??? Why don’t you simply take him/her outside for a short pee break at intervals??when you wake, at lunch. after work and before bed…it’s cruel to cage an animal 16 hours, why bother having an animal if all you do is keep it in a tight cage

Savannah
October 31, 2017 4:01 pm

That poor dog! They’re pack animals, they need to be around their pack not locked in a cramped cage alone for 1/2 the day.

Wynter
June 29, 2017 1:38 pm
Reply to  Eric butler

That’s the problem with people these days. Throw away everything that is “inconvenient”. Animals are not old rag dolls that you just throw away when they make mistakes or are sick.

Karen
June 17, 2018 4:44 pm
Reply to  Wynter

No kidding, who would want to get rid of their dog because they had accidents. Hope you never get another pet.

Edward Freeman
February 8, 2017 5:51 pm
Reply to  Eric butler

I that’s a little drastic and not fair to the dog/puppy. You don’t have to cut the sub floor out, if you do it right and there is no visible stain on carpet you can replace the area of stained padding for the sub-floor paint over affected area with kills paint, available at Walmart and lumber stores return carpet to use.

Emily
January 8, 2017 9:05 pm

I took my puppy from a dog foster home about a year ago. I love him to bits; he has a great personality, and I feel that he loves our family so much. BUT, whenever I leave him at home he pees in the house: on the carpet, on the bed, on flowers..
My husband and I were thinking about taking him to ‘doggy school’, but then again, it’s extremely expensive, and the nearest ‘doggy school’ is far away from us. Maybe you have some advice? THANK YOU!!!!

Marni
October 14, 2018 7:01 pm
Reply to  Emily

Your dog may be suffering from separation anxiety. You might try giving him a calming treat (I use Vetriscience Composure treats–totally worth it for all kinds of issues) and there’s specific training you can do at home. Your dog will feel better about his place in your lives if you train him generally because he will know what’s expected of him in certain circumstances, it will be a healthy challenge for him to learn new things, and it will stimulate his mind. Canine Journal has articles on this–check them out.

Sam
July 26, 2019 1:23 am
Reply to  Marni

I always get separation anxiety when my dog goes to work.

Mary
March 16, 2018 8:55 am
Reply to  Emily

Put doggie door that leads to either back yard or garage. If into garage put doggie pads. If you have a patio in back yard also put doggie pads. If gets windy hold pads with small rocks on corners. If you live in apartment,t use doggie gates to a section. & place painters plastic on floor with doggie pads all over. It is alot of work & money on doggie pads but no pee on carpet especially if you live in apt & you have to work

sarah
February 5, 2017 6:27 pm
Reply to  Emily

Crate train.

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
January 10, 2017 10:06 am
Reply to  Emily

Hi Emily, great question! I recommend looking into crate training your dog. It’s not easy leaving your dog in a crate while you’re away, but it can help with training. Crate training has been proven to help dogs get potty trained. Check out the article and let me know if you have any questions, and good luck! https://www.caninejournal.com/crate-training-puppy/

Donna Schadegg
January 13, 2019 5:52 pm
Reply to  Kimberly Alt

sounds like he’s bored and lonely have you given thought to getting him a friend around same age. Do you have a yard he can be in during the day a trainer maybe able to give you suggestions on repotty traning him also I clean up all spots with several doses of water let partially dry then an enzymatic cleaner like natures mirracle I use a watering can to saturate and make sure it gets down into pad after an hour I blot it up with paper towels or carpet cleaner for big spots. I’ve had lots of people in our house and no one has said anything about it smelling bad.

dmaxclayton
July 4, 2016 7:06 am

Yea, we have all had that experience. My cousin has a dog that always pee on the sofa. Eww. 🙂

MegB
July 1, 2016 5:28 pm

Eew, that smell is right! I’ve had a few stains in some rugs around the house which I’ve tried everything to get the smell out. The rugs are way to big to put in the washer and didn’t want to go through the hassle (or cost) of getting it professionally cleaned so I tried the Sunny & Honey spray and it truly is a miracle, well worth every penny for any other frustrated dog parents who are neat freaks like me!

Michelle
October 8, 2018 5:33 pm
Reply to  MegB

When it comes to dogs and furniture. If you put a garbage bag over each cushion and then put the cover over the trash bag. The pee won’t soak in to the cushion. You just take the cover off and wash it. And as far as the owners that want their dogs to die or the owners to crate their dogs up. How would you feel if someone want you dead or how would you feel being in a crate 8-16hours. There are other solutions. Wonder how they would treat a baby that’s being potty trained???

Arleen M Kempke
January 31, 2017 9:40 am
Reply to  MegB

Where do you buy SUNNY & HONEY???

(Admin)
Alex Schenker
June 21, 2017 5:47 pm

Hi Arleen, we recommend getting Sunny & Honey on Amazon. You’ll notice we also cover it in our review above.

Katherine
November 1, 2019 4:12 pm
Reply to  Alex Schenker

Thank y’all for the recommendation. We have a male foster dog that is potty trained but he has been on steroids and he peed all over our new rug then our male dog started peeing too. Our rugs smell like an animal shelter. I have shampooed them, sprayed resolve and nothing has helped. Just ordered a black light and sunny & honey on amazon. Fingers crossed it works! Also, I would like to note that I am totally sympathetic to his potty accidents and our male dog responding and peeing. It happens… they are animals. I just want to get rid of the urine smell! Yuck!!!!!!!!!!