To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
As dog owners, we’ve all been there. You got delayed at the office or running errands, and your dog couldn’t hold it any longer. Of course, he picked the perfect place on the carpet to pee. Even worse, your pet has chosen a regular spot to relieve himself in your home because you haven’t been able to completely eliminate the smell.
Do you know how to get dog pee out of carpet? Never fear! We’ll give you some expert tips on how to get dog pee smell out of carpet for good!
- How To Get Urine Out Of Carpet
- Removing Old (Dry) Stains From Carpet
- Removing New (Wet) Stains From Carpet
- Best Products For Removing Urine Stains
- Oprah’s Stain Removal Tricks (Video)
- Don’t Give Up
When your dog pees on your carpet, there are a few issues you have to address — the smell, the carpet stains and how much of the carpet is saturated, i.e. how long since he peed (and how long the urine has had to seep deep into the carpet).
First, the basics. What’s the best dog urine remover? You might be surprised to know that it’s plain old water! Below are some tips on the first steps to take to get dog urine out of carpet as soon as you find his “oops” spot(s).
- Find the exact location of the stain with a UV flashlight.
- Thoroughly rinse the stain with water. Renting a wet vac will do the best job since it saturates the carpet with clean water and sucks up the dirty water.
- Tip: Don’t use a steam cleaner! The heat from a steam cleaner permanently sets the stain and odor.
- Apply a pet odor neutralizer (see our recommendations below). Be sure to follow the instructions and test a hidden area of the carpet first to make sure the neutralizer doesn’t stain the carpet.
- Allow the spot to completely dry.
- If the area still looks stained after drying out, use a high-quality carpet stain remover (our picks are below).
- Tip: The Humane Society urges you NOT to use heavy cleaning chemicals, like ammonia or vinegar. They actually don’t remove the odor, and the strong scent of the chemicals may entice your dog to mark “his” area again (learn more about why dogs mark their territory).
- If the urine has soaked into the padding under your carpet, you may have no choice but to replace that area of the carpet and padding. Once the carpet pad is wet it is extremely difficult (if not impossible) to clean and dry it.
- Place a few layers of paper towels over the affected area of the carpet to soak up the urine.
- Cover the paper towels with a clean towel or several layers of newspaper (additional paper towels would work as well).
- Place newspaper or a clean towel under the affected area if possible (for example, if it’s an area rug).
- Press firmly into the stain with an old, clean shoe or something else that you don’t mind getting urine on to help absorb as much of the urine as possible.
- Replace the paper towels and towels/newspaper if they become soaked and repeat step 4.
- Once the urine is soaked up, rinse the area with cool water, and be sure to soak up the water with towels or a wet vac. (If you use a towel, make sure it has been washed multiple times so the dye from the towel is not transferred to the carpet.)
- After the area is dry, vacuum the carpet.
All of our top picks are dual-action, so they work as both a pet odor neutralizer and a pet stain remover. Plus, they’re all affordable! Find out how to get urine smell out of carpet below.
Sunny & Honey Professional Pet Stain And Odor Eliminator Review
- Natural bio-enzymatic formula
- Children and pet safe
- Multi-surface formula for carpet, rugs, furniture, hardwood, leather, pet beds, crates and car upholstery
- Made in the USA
- 10% of profits donated to animal rescues and shelters
- 100% full refund if not satisfied
- 32 fl oz
Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator Review
- Contains natural enzymatic bacteria that are activated on contact with odors and stains
- Pet and child safe (no chlorine or hazardous propellants)
- Safe for any surface (carpet, floor, pet bedding, furniture, etc.)
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- 32 fl oz
Nature’s Miracle Advanced Pet Trigger Sprayer Review
- Oxygen-infused, bio-enzymatic formula
- Fast drying
- For use on carpets, furniture, floors, clothing and more
- Guaranteed to permanently eliminate stain and odors
- 35 fl oz
Oprah Winfrey is an expert on many things, including best stain removers. Who knew?! Check out her advice on how to get pee smell out of carpet on Live with Kelly & Michael. She even recommends one of our top picks!
If you’ve tried everything under the sun with no success, we hope we’ve given you the cure for how to get dog urine out of carpet, as well as other tips for pet stain removal. We did our research to help you not give up hope! You don’t have to live with the smell of dog urine, get rid of that dog pee on carpet today.
Your dog could be “marking his territory” if it seems like he’s going potty when you’re away for short periods of time. Learn more about why dogs mark their territory in this article.
What’s your secret to getting rid of pet pee odor?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.