How To Treat A Poisoned Dog

A sick dogDid your pet eat chocolate or get into the antifreeze in the basement? Act quick! It’s toxic, and you need to break out the poison patrol actions ASAP. But what do you do?

Here are the five steps you need to take to get Spot back into good health in no time.

Five Steps To Treat A Poisoned Dog

1. Do Not Panic

It is natural to panic when a loved one is in trouble, but this is the time when you need to take charge of the situation and act with purpose and speed.

2. Dog Poison Symptoms

Is your dog acting lethargic, or more hyper than usual? Are there signs that he got into something he shouldn’t have that might be toxic, like a poisonous plant? Then you need to start by figuring out exactly what your pet’s poison is and how much he consumed. If it’s food related, you may have a little more time to act and treat than you would with chemical poisons. But, do not assume this. Take notes (literally) of what the poison is and your pet’s symptoms so you do not forget once you are in panic mode and talking to someone who can help. You may even want to take a quick video with your smartphone of strange behavior.

3.  Call The Vet

If you have a pet, you should always have your vet’s phone number programmed into your cell phone and in a place in the home where you can quickly find it (refrigerator door perhaps). This way it is easy to locate when you need it most. It’s also a good idea to have the contact details for the 24/7 emergency vet that is closest to your home in case something goes wrong on the weekend or late at night.

So, since you know right where the number is, do not delay. Call your vet right away to explain the situation and ask advice for next steps. If the office is closed, call the emergency vet. Be sure to have your notes in hand and be prepared to jump in the car to head for help immediately.

4. Pet Poison Hotline

In an emergency, when you cannot reach your veterinarian, immediately contact your local animal emergency clinic or call one of these hotlines to speak to a toxicology specialist and vets who are able to assist 24/7.

1. Pet Poison Helpline 1-855-764-7661
  2. North Shore America / ASPCA Hotline 1-888-232-8870
  3. ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435

Note: They charge a small fee of $59-75 per incident and will ask for age, weight, medical history of pet, what they were exposed to, amount, when it happened and current symptoms.

Tip: Try using our “Ask a Vet” chat feature that is available 24/7 (see lower right-hand corner of your browser window). You’ll get answers from a doctor within minutes.

5. Do Not Search For Answers On The Internet

If you are reading this, it is probably too late to warn you against this but remember, that you need to act quickly. A local vet or poison expert is better suited to do this than your computer. And, they can help you treat your specific situation while keeping you focused on your dog versus all the random horror stories you will find online. So, step away from the computer right now and CALL THE VET. Do not administer home treatment unless directed by a professional as you may cause more pain than assistance.

What has your dog gotten into that created a poison scare?

Michelle holds an MBA from Vanderbilt University and has worked in marketing at Bank of America, Mattel and Hanes. Her expert advice and opinions have appeared in many outstanding media outlets, including The New York Times' Wirecutter, Forbes, People, Reader's Digest and Apartment Therapy, among others.

She is the proud co-founder of Canine Journal and a dog lover through and through. Since the day she was born, she has lived in a home full of dogs. Her adult home is no exception where she and her husband live with Lily and Barley, their two adorable rescue pups.

In addition to her love for snuggling with dogs, she also has enjoyed working professionally in the canine field since 1999 when she started her first dog-related job at a dog bakery.

Deborah
August 13, 2020 6:12 pm

Just need some advice. I’ve been watching my dog since yesterday. She has vomited yesterday morning and twice today. She’s a little wobbly but she’s old, 14, and had a case of vertigo by an inner ear infection. She got essential oils on her skin including grapefruit and violet. She had an open wound in the one area. However, she’s sleeping like normal, does get up on her own, her appetite slightly changed, but she’ll still eat, and her bowel movements are normal. However, she is nervous going up and down the stairs like she was when she got sick last year. I want to know how panicked I should be and if I should monitor her just a little more before bringing her in. Please help. Thanks.

August 14, 2020 4:05 pm
Reply to  Deborah

I would recommend contacting your vet for any signs of poisoning. If you cannot take your dog to a vet, perhaps this online vet service can help.

Emmy
July 25, 2020 3:04 pm

Hi, my two dogs might have got into some bug poison last night when we were asleep but one of my dogs loves to chew on stuff so we’re thinking it was just one of the dog and the bottle was empty. We think she chewed it and the poison fell on the floor. I’m really nervous and scared because I don’t want my dogs to die. My mom won’t take me and the dogs to go see a vet. What do I do?

July 27, 2020 11:04 am
Reply to  Emmy

Any updates on your dogs?

Giana
April 22, 2020 8:15 am

My dog ate ant poison and no vets are open near me because of covid-19. I’m 13, I told my mom what happened and she doesn’t know what to do either. We are still under quarantine and the vets are closed.help.

April 22, 2020 4:34 pm
Reply to  Giana

Please contact a vet or an emergency vet as soon as possible. If you are unable to reach a vet, please call a poison hotline such as ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435.

Sawyer
December 30, 2019 9:29 pm

Hi I’m 11 and I am curantly deling with a poisend lab and I’m in ergent help plz help

Gaylen Phillips
January 14, 2020 7:38 pm
Reply to  Sawyer

Try a raw egg

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
December 31, 2019 3:53 pm
Reply to  Sawyer

Tell a parent or guardian and ask them for help. Wishing you luck and hope your dog recovers.

brsnham
November 19, 2019 10:38 am

get some Pepto bismsl to coat thrre stomache and stop diareshha

branham
November 19, 2019 10:30 am

all u say is to call your vet we need answers thst will help us at home. like how much antibiotic and whst will help them not throw up snd what csn we do at home .

DeAnn G Maurice RN SANEC BS PA
June 20, 2020 3:18 am
Reply to  branham

You really need to thoroughly explain what is going on with your pet before you can really get any type of help. Like you, your pet goes to the doctor (vet) or hospital in an emergency when sick. And like you the doctor would do a physical and listen to you, ask questions, and then possibly be able to give you something to feel better. No one can reasonably expect someone who briefly engages in this type of forum to provide “good for every situation“ treatment for your furry family member. To do so would be an injustice for your pet and yourself. Sure there are some basics you can be taught but as far as diagnosis and then requested step by step treatment for your pet in this type of setting is just unrealistic. Thus, the old phrase “call your veterinarian immediately or your poison control centers”. Yes- unfortunately many people expect these sites to replace their hands-on vet & this is not realistic. So if saving money by asking sites like this for specific treatment and “step by step” info that you say “we can use“ is just not going to happen. It’s not only illegal, but immoral to treat site unseen. Remember the oath “FIRST DO NO HARM.”. Please call your veterinarian or poison control or emergency vet doctor immediately vs wasting time googling and typing your baby’s problems here. It’s a matter of time and you may just have saved your pets life vs 50$.

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
November 19, 2019 4:40 pm
Reply to  branham

Only a vet can answer this. You should not be taking advice for how to treat a life-threatening issue from a stranger online. If you suspected a child you loved was poisoned would you search for answers online? I would hope you would seek out medical help from a professional, not trust a stranger with no medical degree online. Please contact your vet if you think your dog has been poisoned and get it the help it deserves and needs.

Tammy
December 1, 2019 2:25 am
Reply to  Kimberly Alt

I DID call the vet! The vet said to watch my dog overnight, and bring my dog into the clinic in the morning. No other place is open! Meanwhile, I feel like my dog may be dying. Scared.

branham
November 19, 2019 10:26 am

i think that is awful for someone to tell you to tske your dog to the vet after you say u have no money we all know most vets are only in it for yhe money and will not save your dog or even care if you have no money

Nikki
November 15, 2019 1:35 pm

My dog is acting like hes dying but I don’t know. I have no money and I think he may have ate some rat poison a week ago but I’m not sure. How do I know if hes really dying or just sick? He also had had seizures now and in the past to boot.

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
November 15, 2019 5:05 pm
Reply to  Nikki

If you think your dog is dying you should contact your vet.

Diane
June 15, 2019 10:45 pm

We had a terrible ant problem in yard. My husband went to store & the clerk assured him the Ortho home defense products were safe for pets when dry. He sprayed the yard late that evening. We had light rain in the a.m. Within a couple days my dog was having seizure like activity, was completely disoriented, tried to hide & climb in my lap. She would go sit in corner & stare at wall. She sat out in the rain for 20 mins because she didn’t know how to come back to the house. She had very labored breathing. I called emergency vet & told them I thought it was the ant stuff we used. They asked me her age, 11 yrs they said Oh, well it’s prob ok to wait til morning to see her own vet. It was a long night, thought she was gonna die. Brought her to our regular vet who did a well check exam & ran basic labs but not a poison panel. They did abdominal x-ray because of lumps ( most likely her cancer is back) . The vet said to see a neurologist. While I was on phone with neuro she had another mild seizure. Neuro told me to call my vet back to have her seen immediately for irregular heart beats. Again, my vet would not see her that day. In fact when the tech called me back at 4 pm she said they couldn’t do anything more & to go to neuro. It was a nightmare! For two weeks my dog suffered seizures & neurological issues. Needless to say I spent a ton of $$$ and no answers. I called them to give an update that my dog has been fine now for approx 7 days which leads me to believe it was a poisoning & not an age related issue. Vet said glad to hear she’s doing better however if happens again go to a neurologist.

Robin
May 5, 2019 6:53 pm

My dog seems weak and drooling. He already vomited a day ago. He does drink water and has been resting. Eyes are NOT dilated. Dont know what else I can do. Need advice

Legend Killa
May 19, 2019 9:28 pm
Reply to  Robin

um did did you get help?

tristen
March 4, 2019 6:08 pm

My puppy just keeps vomiting and he is loosing weight plss what do i do

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
March 5, 2019 3:57 pm
Reply to  tristen

If you think he has been poisoned, call you vet now. His life could be at risk.

Junior
February 5, 2019 3:09 am

My dog has been whining and twitching and shaking a lot since last night , she seems to be fine she eats and gets excited then she starts to cry and shake and twitch idk what it is ican do to help

Anonymous Dog Lover
December 26, 2018 9:54 pm

FOR THOSE THAT NEED HELP! FIRST try to get your dog to vomit. (HYDROGEN PEROXIDE) This too is a poison to your dog, but will induce vomiting sometimes takes up to 3min depending on how much you got them to drink. Next you need to get your dog to drink as much water as possible. Then get your dog to eat some activated charcoal pills as much as possible and as quickly as possible, keep some ready in case your dog continues to vomit, continue having your dog drink water if they can. This is not a cure to poisons but hopefully it saves your dog. The local vet is your best bet to save your animal as they can pump your animals stomach. SYMPTOMS CAN BE LOSS OF BALANCE, SCIZURES, and AGGRESSION(This is cause your animal is scared) Hope this helps!

DeAnn G Maurice RN SANEC BS PA
June 20, 2020 3:34 am

Never ever induce vomiting without knowing what your pet has possibly ingested or if so directed by a professional!!! Many substances are caustic and if inhaled during vomiting can lead to extremely serious issues. Please take care when posting comments with “care tips“, without the proper training you could potentially be posting harmful information such as this without fully realizing it. Unfortunately, there is no one cure-all. Just as if it were your child! Nothing will replace the expertise of the specialist/ veterinarian/physician. And unfortunately it does cost money. Pet insurance can and does help. But your furry family member is relying upon you and their parents to care for them. One thing that is wonderful for new pet parents is to take a class for first aid for your pet. These classes can be an invaluable resource for you from CPR to foods/toys to avoid and sometimes basic first aid. These are all things good pet parents can give to their new “ furry babies”.

Amc
December 14, 2018 9:35 pm

What if you aren’t sure. My dog just licked the ground. He seems for the most part, like himself. I don’t know what to think. It’s December. I can’t afford a vet.

DeAnn G Maurice RN SANEC BS PA
June 20, 2020 3:55 am
Reply to  Amc

This appears to be an ongoing theme throughout this site. “I cannot afford to take my pet to the veterinarian, it’s too expensive“. Again, pet insurance can and does help. But quite frankly, if you are unable to provide the proper care for an animal, perhaps you might best not attempt to enlarge your family with one. A pet is a big responsibility and with that comes not only a warm clean place to sleep/live and be loved but also to be able to provide the care necessary for your new family member. Basic wellness visits, shots, flea/tick medication. Not including any possible genetic issues or breed issues that can range from a special diet to behavioral health care and more serious health care issues just as you and your other family members have. Unfortunately again veterinarian and emergency care for pets is expensive. Although not much more than for a child/infant that has joined the family. Sadly this is a very big reason for many of the horror stories that we hear and see regarding animals. Largely in part due to pet parents being unable to afford a pet that becomes ill or develops a hereditary disorder or becomes ill by curiosity or accident. Again, pet insurance can help. There are also low-cost clinics in many areas that can help and food banks that can help with the cost of special diet costs. Having and caring for a pet is a huge responsibility that should never be taken lightly. I’m hard-pressed to find a loving pet parent that would simply leave their pets without proper care similar to leaving their human children without proper care. There are services out there if you seek them that can be an incredible amount of help and provide a lower cost or a payment plan for pet parents ask and are willing to work with an individual or organization.

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
December 17, 2018 10:18 am
Reply to  Amc

I don’t mean to be harsh with my response, but if I thought my dog had ingested poison I would take her to the vet immediately. In the worst case scenario, I wouldn’t want to risk her suffering and dying. I completely understand that finances are tight for you right now and realize that you don’t want to make an unnecessary visit to the vet. But keep in mind that if poison was ingested, and you didn’t take him to the vet, how would that make you feel?

Again, I’m so sorry if that comes off harsh, I just want to help you in case this happens in the future. Your comment was made Friday evening and we don’t moderate comments over the weekend. I hope this was a false alarm and he didn’t ingest any poison and is a healthy, happy dog. 🙂

Brittney A Abney
December 23, 2018 8:52 pm
Reply to  Kimberly Alt

Pretty f****d up for you to say im in the samd position … No credit bad credit shit. So I don’t appreciate” oh if it was my dog ” like yea well im sorry we all aren’t like you and have good credit. Thanks for making the worse manner, worse

DeAnn G Maurice RN SANEC BS PA
June 20, 2020 4:04 am

Brittany- Bluntly after reading your comment—grow up. It is through no ones fault but your own if your credit is poor. This site is offering a free service. Sounds like you want just plain free. Welcome to adulthood and the real world where the rest of us live but don’t condemn the good fortune of another because of your own negative attitude or position. You are where you are for no one else’s blame but your own. Please don’t try to leave a bad taste in our mouths with your anger.

Sick of sniveling people
February 26, 2019 12:15 am

If you can’t afford your pet when it really needs you give it to someone who does

DeAnn G Maurice RN SANEC BS PA
June 20, 2020 4:19 am

Thank you. Bluntly put but adequately said! That has been my thought since I randomly came upon this site and began reading the comments. Quite frankly I wouldn’t even have post let alone replied to half of what appears to be either angry or just dramatic people leaving a comment or question that causes one to pause and ask “how old are you?”

Melissa Griffin
May 3, 2020 8:16 pm

A lot of people lost their job and still waiting for relief for unemployment! It sounds like these pet owners are trying to be there for their pets. Instead of being a d*** why don’t you try to help since your a pet lover!

brsnham
November 19, 2019 10:33 am

things happen in life unexpected things do don’t judge people and its like telling them to give there child away because you are haveing a tough time st the moment get real

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
December 26, 2018 9:15 am

I’m sorry you are in the same position. To be fair, the original commenter asked “What if you aren’t sure?” and I took that as “What would I do if I were in their shoes?” So that is why I answered it the way I did. I don’t know our readers’ exact financial situations
and my intention was not to make things worse. My intention is to help dogs in need and I feel that my answer puts the dog’s health first. I hope your dog is doing well.

Angela C Wattler
November 23, 2018 10:21 pm

I have a 8 month puppy Gunter I notice that his eye was swollen and within minutes in triple in size to the point he couldn’t open it and he then started to vomit I got a ice pack and put it on his eye his other eye was a little swollen but nothing like his other eye I called my vet and she had to me to do ice pack every 30 mins for 5 mins at a time and gAve him bendrly he was having a allergicl to something. But my landlord called and said that she had sprayed the yard with some poision to kill weeds. So now here almost 24 hrs my baby is lathargic not eating but drinking water and my vet is closed pls I hope some one on here can answer my concern is it a allergic reaction or did he get into the poison that was out side

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
November 26, 2018 9:08 am

Sorry Angela, we don’t moderate comments over the weekends and holidays. How is Gunter doing today? Hope he is feeling better!

Faustina garnica
August 31, 2018 2:04 am

I think my dog drank some degreaser deluged with water that was used earlier to clean some metal oven thing and now she’s panting and laying on her side I can’t afford the vet what do I do.for her

Elizabeth Samaniego
July 3, 2018 10:16 am

There was bug poison on the grass and my puppies got a hold of it. What can I give them to help them by pass it

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
July 5, 2018 8:57 am

Call your vet to get your puppies help immediately.

Sandra Garcia
June 15, 2018 10:25 pm

Strichnine. And I am going to make damn sure that my Landlord pays. He just said the other day that he hated dods and offered us some strichnine to kill a dog who git in our trash. Now my beautiful little dog is dying I hate the landlord and pray that he dies.

kat.tay@comcast.net
May 4, 2018 1:44 pm

My Westie who is almost 14 years old had gotten into an unknown poison Sunday…today she won’t walk open her eyes or eat/drink
What can I do??

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
May 7, 2018 8:39 am

If you think your dog was poisoned you should contact your vet ASAP.

George K
January 19, 2018 5:12 am

My dog just ate about 4 oz of mouse poison and nobody is in there office right now my dog is scewed?

brsnham
November 19, 2019 10:40 am
Reply to  George K

get some Pepto bismal yo coat its belly . he will probly get diareahha but it will help stop it

DrAnn G Maurice RN SANEC BS PA
June 20, 2020 4:31 am
Reply to  brsnham

Please… Again do not post “family tried first aid“. The individuals who from reading these comments would potentially do what you are posting for lack of money, common sense, or whatever. Unless qualified, please don’t suggest anything that might have worked for you or you’ve heard about. Legally you can be held liable for damages that occurred if proven in a court of law. I don’t think that’s something you’ve taken into consideration. While we all have our own “grandma’s tricks” nothing replaces a medically qualified veterinary service or poison control. I shiver to think of someone performing some of these “home remedies”. I hope they don’t have children.

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
January 19, 2018 9:30 am
Reply to  George K

Call an emergency vet immediately.

Sandra Molnar
January 10, 2018 3:00 am

If you didn’t take him back to the vet or animal emergency because of lack of money don’t let that stop you. No vet will turn a poisoned pet away. They will make arrangements for you to pay later, or make time payments. In the USA today when half the population is in poverty no one has emergency money put aside and if anyone knows this it is veterinarians. They will make a deal with you about payments. It is worth making payments to save your fur baby. I’d sell my blood and anything else I could to pay a vet who tried to save my dog or cat.

DeAnn G Maurice TN SANC BS PA
June 20, 2020 4:38 am
Reply to  Sandra Molnar

Cudos Sandy! I think most furbabies parents would do the exact same thing!!! Your advice is on target and correct! We will never turn away and emergency and such, and most definitely most of our groups can work with a pet parent and set up a payment plan that is workable for them. Our hearts are not made of stone, we wouldn’t be doing what we do if we didn’t absolutely love animals!

Jayne
October 15, 2018 1:37 am
Reply to  Sandra Molnar

Not true. Vets have no problem turning you away if you don’t have the money. I was at an emergency vet. They showed me the bill before treatment. Asked me to pay first, then they would treat. I had been waited by for nearly two hours to see the vet because my dog ate any killer. She ended up charging me for the “chat” and sent us home. And I had to pay poison control $59 to talk to the vet. Your advice to call a vet is shameful. We clearly love our animals more than any vet and should be empowered and encouraged to handle their care in many situations.

DeAnn G Maurice RN SANEC BS PA
June 20, 2020 4:49 am
Reply to  Jayne

That empowerment is called schooling for veterinary medicine. There is no google MD unfortunately and unless you have training and knowledge of everything from animal anatomy to chemistry and genetics. You really aren’t going to “empower” yourself to treat your pet. True a basic first aid class for animals. That’s a good place to start educating yourself. But this is not an attempt to start a “Movement” as your comment has the flavor of “let’s all band together and take control back!! Empower yourself against these vets who want money”! Sorry to be blunt but that is the tone of your comment.

Tammy
December 1, 2019 2:38 am
Reply to  Jayne

I agree. I called the only open vet clinic, and was turned away.

Denise
November 22, 2018 2:28 am
Reply to  Jayne

Yup. Bill in advance. No pay no stay. Our emergency vet wanted 900.00 UP FRONT to treat my dog with heart failure symptoms. My own vet would never have done that but they are closed at 10pm. My dog died at 2am. Emergency vet is a money grubbing heartless jerk. Now my other young dog is acting lethargic and may be poisoned but I am reluctant to go see those jerks ever again

Amber Pruitt
May 19, 2018 11:48 pm
Reply to  Sandra Molnar

My vet turned me away. She wanted 1200 up front no payment plan. He is really sick. They have him antibiotics and told me good luck.

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
May 21, 2018 8:45 am
Reply to  Amber Pruitt

That is terrible. I would find a new vet immediately. Fortunately, I’ve never had a large vet bill like that but my vet has never asked for payment in advance (perhaps she would if it reached a higher amount). How can someone be a vet but turn away an animal who has been poisoned?

How is your pet doing? I hope all is well.

BRAD
May 26, 2017 5:36 am

MY 14 year old Lab left the house went to unknown place and came back 40 mins later and instantly fell over and started the first convulsions and yellowish/frothy foam coming out mouth. This went on for 5 mins or so then he slowly came to. Then seemed disoriented in house attempting to walk up the wall and such. Then later in the day he had violent seizure/convulsions and seemed exacerbated by noise and sunlight outside. I took him in house and that lasted 30+ mins. I literally gave him some Hash infused coconut butter and THANkFULLY HE calmed down and his breathing slowed. I took him to vet but he was “out of it” from butter. The vet just checked to see if he was responsive when she touched him and he jerked his leg and she told me to “keep the seizures down with the butter” NEXT morning I didnt have chance to give him more butter before I awoke and he then started sets of what seemed like convulsions, paddling, kicking his feet, seems like he was suffocating, head back and lying on his side the whole time. THIS WAS THE START OF MY 24 HRS OF HELL. I could not get any HI butter down his throat as he would not open mouth/ as seemed “locked” so the tremors and heavy breathing continued. I took temperatures when heavy breathing and it was 105’s + I poured cold water on him got all the ice out of fridge and tried to cool him down. It did come down but STILL not able to quell the tremors/convulsions etc. I accidentally stepped on his arm while stepping over him with AC unit and he pulled it back as if he felt it [during a “seizure too]. His eyes were watery etc. but seemed he could see and all but his body was out of control and it went in cycles. I was torn between checking on him and leaving him alone because every time he heard my seemed the convulsions got worse. MY NIGHT OF HELL ended just before noon next day and he died with his head back. He never had a seizure before this episode in his 14 years+. I PAINFULLY TOOK VIDEO OF HIS ACTIONS AND OFFERED IT TO THE VET BUT SEEMS THEY JUST CALLED IT “BRAIN ISSUES GOING ON FROM HIS AGE” DESPITE MY VET ASKING ME IF HE HAD ACCESS TO STRYCHNINE ON THREE DIFFERENT OCCASIONS. [THAT actually seems odd]. If strychnine poisoning, would the tremors be continuous or come and go? PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT OR A COGENT WEBPAGE EXPLAINING THESE UNANSWERED QUESTIONS as I promised my dog while SUFFERING BEYOND ANYTHING I COULD IMAGINE that I would GET ANSWERS FOR HIM AND HIS DEATH WOULD NOT BE IN VAIN. please help me find closure for my VERY TOUGH BOY.

thanks

Bharat
July 26, 2020 11:21 am
Reply to  BRAD

The same story goes for me… He suffocated like hell and I wasn’t even able to calm him down… Tried my best…I called the vet but they just suggested to see if something got stuck in his throat. There was nothing. He died yesterday evening. Only after that when I searched for similar symptoms on the internet, I came to know he ate poison somewhere. I miss him really bad. I feel like I am the only one reason for his death. Vet services are seriously not that great in many regions. I feel really really bad for my poor little boy.

Bob
December 25, 2017 11:33 pm
Reply to  BRAD

Unfortunately this poor dog had to suffer horribly for your 24 hours of hell. He should have been rushed to the vets to get Iv meds. Our animals count on us to take care of them. They can’t speak and can’t take care of themselves. It’s like having a 2 year old running around. He/ She should have been taken to a veterinarian or emergency vet to receive the proper medical treatment instead the poor thing died a miserable death. So sad.

Dianne Parker
January 12, 2019 7:11 am
Reply to  Bob

Honestly how does help, firstly lets be very clear-that poor dog went thru 24 hours of suffering because the vet failed in his duty of care to not only in his advice/investigation of a possible cause to then not only diagnose something so serious correctly in order to give that poor owner (who has taken their precious furbaby/companion of 14 years) to a certified licenced medical doctorate of animal science- THE ONE PERSON, AND “LITERALLY THE ONLY PERSON” qualified (that a pet owner relies upon & puts all there trust in), especially at such a heartbreaking time with such serious symptoms to be given such generic advice and possibly negligent information/treatment options is the reason the poor lab went thru such a painstaking horrible and inhumane death…and the poor owner might have well been handed a double edged sword from that so called veterinarian doctors recommended treatment for an unknown illness that presented with cluster of red flag symptoms of toxin/poisen,how hard and how devastating that 24hours must have been for the owner to go thru and something that your heart never gets over….im not saying ur intention was to be condescending and your comment to be anything other than helpful in ur mind but just like the vet ur advice is based on assumptions and ignorance not factual information…
And being unable to afford upfront large fees for sick/injured pet does not make an owner a bad person or an irresponsible pet owner…whats irresponsible is that sadly money has become the priority of whether the pet u love gets even basic medical attention or necessary life threatening treatment…and the owner is then shamed and deemed irresponsible…seriously ???? Go shame the industry, cast your comments and judgements to that irresponsible vet. Not the pet owner who cared and loved that pet for 14 years….my thoughts and respect to all pet owners who love and care for any pet regardless of their financial status or income….❤

brsnhsm
November 19, 2019 10:46 am
Reply to  Dianne Parker

yes that’s whats up!!!!!!!!!

Blue
May 10, 2018 5:45 am
Reply to  Bob

Hey dummy read it again, it said that he took him to vet multiple times.

elna
October 22, 2017 8:27 am
Reply to  BRAD

Hi Brad, dog poisoning in south africa is a daily phenomonim. My beloved Uno was poisoned with two step poison, you can find it on google. We keep activated charcoal in our homes as a remedy. Charcoal doesnt absorb, it binds with more than 28 of the most deadliest poisons on the market. You can google that too. They even use it in hospitals as a treatment for poisoning. Safe for humans and anials. Unfortunately it didn’t help in my beloved Uno’s case. I sincerely hope you find assistane in my advice ? Kindest regards, from a fellow dog lover, Elna