If you consider your pet part of the family, then why not make sure they have health insurance like the rest of your loved ones? Just like humans, pets can become ill or get in an accident when you least expect it.
The good news is, pet insurance can help save your family from drowning in debt and keep your canine companion alive and thriving. 24PetWatch is one of many popular pet insurance companies. See how they compare to the pack.
- Wellness coverage available as an add-on
- No waiting period for accidents and no additional waiting period for ACL, elbow and hip dysplasia
- Submit and track claims in real-time online
- Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the United States or Canada
- BBB rating: A+ through PTZ Insurance Agency, Ltd.
- Chronic condition coverage if they go 24 months without symptoms
- Annual deductible (not per-incident)
- Cover invoiced amount, including exam fees
- Limited enrollment age (8 weeks – 10 years) compared to other insurance companies
- If one leg has a CCL (ACL) injury before enrollment, the other leg will not be covered even if there are no prior issues. It’s considered a bilateral condition.
- No unlimited claims options
- $2.50 monthly transaction fee
- Priced on the higher end when we ran quotes
- Only 80% reimbursement option (other companies offer 70%, 90% and sometimes more)
- Allow 60 days for claim repayment
Don’t like the score you’re seeing? Our experts have analyzed 20+ pet insurance companies to provide the most comprehensive and up-to-date pet insurance reviews you’ll find. Find out more about this year’s top-ranked companies.
- Underwriter: The North River Insurance Company
- A.M. Best rating: A
- Bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body) for cruciate ligaments, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, and patella luxation
- Pays claims within 60 days of submission either directly to the vet or direct deposit to you
- Must submit claims within 180 days of treatment via online customer portal, email, or mail
- 5% discount if the pet has a microchip
As stated in 24PetWatch’s policy:
If no medical records exist for Your Pet, or Your Pet has not been to a Veterinarian within the past twelve months, you agree to have Your Pet undergo a complete physical examination by a licensed Veterinarian, at Your cost, within the first 30 days of Your Policy effective date.
Defined by 24PetWatch as:
Any Condition or complication directly resulting from a Condition which first occurred, manifested, displayed signs and/or symptoms of, was treated, diagnosed or has been known by You, and/or Your Veterinarian prior to Your Pet’s Coverage Effective Date, as stated on Your Document of Insurance, or during an applicable waiting period, and any
Customer Service Hours
- Phone, live chat, email and customer portal: Monday – Thursday: 8am-9pm (EST), Friday: 8am-7pm (EST) and Saturday: 9am-5pm (EST)
- 2 days:
- 12:01 am on the day following enrollment: Accidents
- 14 or 30 days (depending on your coverage): Cruciate ligament events
- 14 or 30 days (depending on your coverage): Hip dysplasia
Services included are not limited to this list and are subject to change. You’ll notice that 24PetWatch has annual or incident limits on certain items.
|Covered by 24PetWatch||Not Covered by 24PetWatch|
|Injuries||Preventative care and wellness visits (Available with wellness coverage only)|
|Surgeries||Dental and orthodontic procedures (Available with wellness coverage only)|
|Hospitalization||Spay/neuter procedures (Available with wellness coverage only)|
|Therapeutic diet (50% up to $500/year)|
|Diagnostics (x-rays, blood tests, etc.)|
|Congenital & hereditary conditions|
|Alternative therapy (up to $1,000/year)|
|Ambulance & paramedical (up to $500/incident)|
|Accidental death ($1,000)|
|Euthanasia & cremation ($200)|
|Additional living expenses ($500/incident)|
|Trip cancellation ($500/incident)|
|Lost pet recovery costs ($500/incident)|
|Boarding kennel fees due to your hospitalization ($500/incident)|
All of 24PetWatch’s plans have a $100, $250, $500, or $1,000 per year deductible, 20% copay and 80% reimbursement. You can choose from four coverage amounts: $3,000, $5,000, $10,000, and $20,000.
Below are sample quotes we compiled in December 2020.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||Golden Retriever||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Domestic Medium Hair Mix Cat|
|Location||Iowa (50125)||Illinois (60631)||California (92027)||New York (10012)||Ohio (44108)|
|Price Per Month||$55.57||$70.15||$58.00||$81.26||$27.26|
You can add wellness coverage to your policy too. Wellness coverage starts at $10/month for Routine Wellness or $25/month for Advanced Wellness.
|Wellness Care Routine||Wellness Care Advanced|
|Price Per Month||$10||$25|
|Heartworm test or FELV screen||$15||$15|
|Microchip procedure and/or urinalysis||$20||$20|
|Spay/neuter procedure and/or wellness blood test||$80||$100|
|Canine Bordetella vaccine/titer or feline FELV vaccine/titer||N/A||$15|
|Canine DHLPP vaccine/titer or feline FVRCP vaccine/titer||$15||$15|
|Rabies vaccine/titer and/or Lyme vaccine/titer, or FIP vaccine/titer||$15||$15|
|Total Annual Benefits||$200||$400|
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from reputable companies when you fill out just one short form. You can also visit our pet insurance quotes page to see how the cost of 24PetWatch Pet Insurance stacks up against the competition.
This company is great! They consistently pay quickly and offer a range of coverage options. Unfortunately my Lab began to have health issues later in life and with 24PetWatch I was able to concentrate on his care and know that 24PetWatch was going to be there. I Highly recommend. – Wayne G., Yelp 8/20/2020
My dog will be 14 in June and she has had health insurance through 24 PetWatch for 13 years. I cannot say enough good things about this company. I have watched this company grow and change over the years- it only gets better and more efficient. Their plans for level of coverage are very clear, their online service portal could not be easier, and I have never been denied a claim. Even when claims were done by mail and email, the phone service was compassionate and excellent (but I do love the online portal!!!). – Amy, ConsumerAffairs 5/8/2020
Absolute CON ARTISTS. They want to charge me $94.95 just to update my pet’s CONTACT INFORMATION. Can you imagine if a doctor or veterinarian told you they were going to charge you to have them update your phone number and address? This predatory criminal enterprise needs to be sued into the ground. They are hoping people lose their animals so that when they get lost, they have to log into the website and pay to update contact info in hope of getting them back. Disgusting, shameful tactics! – Jen H., Yelp 8/21/2020
Scam of a company…Only out for money..Lies! Never use this company! Want enormous amount of money for to do anything regarding a lost pet even when they have number. Do not use them for anything…So sad. Stay far away. I am not alone. Look at their negative reviews. Shame on them. – Jean, ConsumerAffairs 11/20/2020
What can happen if you don’t have pet insurance? Even minor accidents and illnesses can break your wallet.What’s the average vet bill if your dog ingests a foreign object and needs surgery? A whopping $800-$7,000! With serious accidents and illnesses, not being insured can be devastating.
24PetWatch does have some good features, so it may be a good fit for you. But you may be able to find an even better fit for your family. Read our pet insurance comparison to see how 24PetWatch compares against other top companies.
If you’re looking for information about 24PetWatch’s microchip registration service, you may find this article helpful.
Are you considering 24PetWatch?