To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
If you consider your pet part of the family, then why not make sure your dog has health insurance like the rest of your family? Just like with humans, pets can become ill or get in accidents when you least expect it.
The good news is, pet insurance can help save your family from drowning in debt and keep your canine companion alive and thriving. 24PetWatch is one of a number of popular pet insurance companies. See how they compare to the pack.
- Underwriter: The North River Insurance Company
- A.M. Best rating: A
- Exam period: If no medical records exist for Your Pet, or Your Pet has not been to a Veterinarian within the past twelve months, you agree to have Your Pet undergo a complete physical examination by a licensed Veterinarian, at Your cost, within the first 30 days of Your Policy effective date.
- Pre-existing conditions defined by 24PetWatch:
- Any Condition or complication directly resulting from a Condition which first occurred, manifested, displayed signs and/or symptoms of, was treated, diagnosed or has been known by You, and/or Your Veterinarian prior to Your Pet’s Coverage Effective Date, as stated on Your Document of Insurance, or during an applicable waiting period, and any subsequent time period during which a lapse of Coverage occurs.
- Bilateral exclusions for cruciate ligaments, hip dysplasia, elbow dsyplasia and patella luxation
- Claims will be paid within 60 days of submission and can be paid directly to the vet or direct deposit to you
- Claims must be submitted within 180 days of treatment
- Wellness coverage available as an add-on
- No waiting period for accidents
- Submit and track claims in real-time online
- Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the United States or Canada
- No additional waiting period for ACL, elbow dysplasia and hip dysplasia
- Chronic conditions can be covered if they go 24 months without showing any symptoms
- BBB rating: A+
- Limited enrollment age (8 weeks – 10 years) compared to other insurance companies
- 14-30 day waiting period for illness coverage to kick in
- Many consumer complaints about the poor claims process (long time to get paid, lost claims, etc.)
- A number of customer complaints about overall bad customer service
- If one leg has a CCL (ACL) injury prior to enrollment the other leg will not be covered even if there are no prior issues. It is considered a pre-existing condition.
- No unlimited claims options
- $2.50 monthly transaction fee
- Priced on the higher end when we ran quotes
Below is a list of services covered and not covered by 24PetWatch (as of May 2018). You’ll notice that 24PetWatch has annual or incident limits on certain items.
|Covered by 24PetWatch||Not Covered by 24PetWatch|
|Injuries||Preventative care and wellness visits (Available with wellness coverage only)|
|Surgeries||Dental and orthodontic procedures (Available with wellness coverage only)|
|Hospitalization||Spay/neuter procedures (Available with wellness coverage only)|
|Therapeutic diet (50% up to $500/year)|
|Diagnostics (x-rays, blood tests, etc.)|
|Congenital & hereditary conditions|
|Alternative therapy (up to $1,000/year)|
|Ambulance & paramedical (up to $500/incident)|
|Accidental death ($1,000)|
|Euthanasia & cremation ($200)|
|Additional living expenses ($500/incident)|
|Trip cancellation ($500/incident)|
|Lost pet recovery costs ($500/incident)|
|Boarding kennel fees due to your hospitalization ($500/incident)|
There are no active 24PetWatch coupon codes at this time.
All of 24PetWatch’s plans have a $100, $250, $500 or $1,000 per year deductible, 20% copay and 80% reimbursement. You can choose from 5 coverage amounts: Essential $1,500, Extra $3,000, Classic $5,000, Super $10,000 and Champion $20,000. Quotes are from May 2018.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||Golden Retriever||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Domestic Medium Hair Mix Cat|
|Age||2||8||4||6||4 months||7 months||2|
|Location||Iowa (zip code 50125)||Illinois (zip code 60631)||California (zip code 92027)||New York (zip code 10012)||New York (zip code 10012)||Iowa (zip code 50125)||Ohio (zip code 44108)|
|Price Per Month||$55.57||$89.19||$54.97||$81.26||$56.53||$34.71||$27.26|
Wellness coverage can be added to policies with a $3,000 or higher annual policy limit starting at $10/month for Routine Wellness or $25/month for Advanced Wellness.
|Routine Wellness||Advanced Wellness|
|Heartworm test or FELV screen||$15||$15|
|Microchip procedure and/or urinalysis||$20||$20|
|Spay/neuter procedure and/or wellness blood test||$80||$100|
|Canine bordetella vaccine/titer or feline FELV vaccine/titer||N/A||$15|
|Canine DHLPP vaccine/titer or feline FVRCP vaccine/titer||$15||$15|
|Rabies vaccine/titer and/or Lyme vaccine/titer, or FIP vaccine/titer||$15||$15|
See our Pet Insurance Quotes for a pricing comparison different pet insurance companies, based on a few different breeds and ages.
Hip dysplasia is covered after a waiting period of 14 or 30-days depending on your plan:
- Essential: 30-days
- Extra, Classic, Super, Champion: 14-days
There is a bilateral exclusion for hip dysplasia, which states it will not be covered if one side of the body was pre-existing.
- 12:01am on the effective date of the policy: Accidents
- Depending on your coverage level:
- Essential: 30-days Illness
- Extra: 14-days Illness
- Classic: 14-days Illness
- Super: 14-days Illness
- Champion: 14-days Illness
- 14-days or 30-days (depending on your coverage): Cruciate ligament events
- 14-days or 30-days (depending on your coverage): Hip dysplasia
My payments were raised, after being with them for over 5 years, but my dogs are old, and the new rates about the same as starting with another policy. bottomline my dog got cancer in her liver and leg, and they paid their share without a problem. my other dog has chronic allergic skin condition. since they established submissions through website, everything is easy and sensible. before, when the vet had to be involved, or the hospital admin staff, it was much more complicated and out of my control. now, very easy. no conflicts, no surprises. – Linda E., Yelp 4/23/2018
My experience with 24PetWatch Pet Insurance has been pretty much top notch. I have been with this company for almost 10 years. There was a period when there were delays in completing claims and payment but within the past several months I have been extremely pleased with their customer service, the timely manner that my claims were completed and payment made. – Jo, Consumer Affairs 6/28/2017
I adopted two sweet cats from a rescue shelter in Colorado named Every Creature Counts (now defunct), they came chipped, and obviously pre-registered since I have received emails from 24PetWatch asking me to “re-register” their chips. Of course, no one tells you this outfit wants to hit you for $85 as a “one-time” fee to even change your phone number, the cat’s name, or your contact information. This is a huge scam that preys on people’s fear of losing their pets. You believe your pet is registered, and these con artists are really holding the chip number hostage… and until you pay up, you can’t even update your damned phone number! – Bob, Consumer Affairs 1/22/2018
Adopted a new cat and started a trial of their insurance. Sent several emails requesting cancellation with no response. Just got off the phone with a high pressure salesman with whom it took about 6 repetitions of “I want to cancel this trial” for him to finally relent. Was supposed to send me an email confirmation. Never received it. Faxed them a request for confirmation. Not answered. Would give zero stars if possible. Stay away! – Band E., Yelp 1/3/2018
What can happen if you don’t have pet insurance? Even minor accidents and illnesses can break your wallet — the average vet bill for when your dog ingests a foreign object and needs surgery? A whopping $3,275, according to Preventive Vet! With more serious accidents and illnesses, not being insured can be devastating.
Read our pet insurance reviews article to see how 24PetWatch compares against other top pet insurance companies. 24PetWatch does have some good features so it may be a good fit for you. But you may be able to do better for the price.
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.