To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Healthy Paws is committed to helping homeless pets — so much so, they’ve donated nearly $600,000 in grants to animal shelters and rescues across the U.S. A great selling point for a pet insurance company, for sure.
But is Healthy Paws worthy of insuring your beloved pet? How does its coverage, service and cost compare to other top pet insurance companies?
- Annual deductible (not per incident)
- Unlimited lifetime coverage so no annual or per incident limits on claims
- Pricing is generally the best value vs competition
- Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the United States or Canada
- High customer satisfaction
- Easy to submit a claim on the Healthy Paws app for quick claim reimbursement
- BBB rating: A+
- Great email response time
- Good CCL (ACL) coverage
- Direct deposit or check reimbursement
- Veterinary exam fee and behavioral therapies are not covered
- Excludes hip dysplasia in animals enrolled after age 6, so this might not be the best option for large breeds that are older than 6. There is also a 12-month waiting period.
- There are age restrictions (if pet is older than 6, you must have vet exam within past 30 days for enrollment or within 15 days of policy issuance)
- Pets older than 8 years old are restricted to 60% reimbursement and a $750 annual deductible
- 15-day waiting period for accident and illness
- No wellness plan
- Charges a one-time $25 fee
- Underwriter: ACE Property & Casualty (Chubb)
- A.M. Best rating: A++
- Exam period:
- Dogs younger than 6 must have visited the vet in the the last 12 months or go within 15 days of policy issuance
- Dogs older than 6 must have been to the vet in the last 30 days or go within 15 days of policy issuance
- Pre-existing conditions defined by Healthy Paws:
- a. an illness or the recurrence of any illness or condition which first occurred or displayed any signs and/or symptoms consistent with the stated illness or condition prior to the pet policy effective date;
- b. an injury or recurrence of an injury that occurred prior to the pet policy effective date; or
- c. any condition or complication resulting from an illness or injury that occurred prior to the pet policy effective date.
- Has one bilateral exclusion (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body): pre-existing cruciate ligament problems to one leg as respects to the cost of future treatment for problems of the other leg
- Must file claims within 90 days of the date of service, and they process 99% of claims within 2 days
- Policyholders can opt for direct deposit instead of a hard copy check
- Option to have Healthy Paws pay vets directly. This means you don’t have to pay a hefty vet bill in advance and wait for reimbursement (check with your vet — not available everywhere)
- Continues coverage for a pet if the pet parent becomes unable to care for the pet or dies. This works by transferring the policy to someone else without a lapse in coverage. The new policyholder will pay the same amount, and there will be no newly added pre-existing conditions.
- No waiting periods in Maryland or New Hampshire
- Submit claims through the app (download the iOS app for free via this link or the Android app here) or online customer center
- 30-day free look period (similar to a money-back guarantee)
- AAA and AMAC member discounts may be available
- Customer service hours:
- Email: 24/7
- Phone: Monday – Friday from 6am to 6pm PST and Saturday – Sunday from 8am to 5pm PST
Here’s a list of services that HealthyPaws covers and does not cover (as of December 2018). Services included are not limited to this list and are subject to change.
|Hospitalization||Veterinary exam fees|
|Cancer||Preventative care (vaccines, flea control, heartworm medication, dental health care, grooming, anal gland expression, spay and neuter)|
|Prescription medications||Behavioral modification|
|Diagnostic treatment and testing (x-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, etc.)|
Healthy Paws covers expensive hereditary and congenital conditions if your vet hasn’t noted associated clinical symptoms before you purchase a policy. Still, you must enroll your dog for Healthy Paws pet insurance before the age of 6 for you to take advantage of this coverage. Healthy Paws DOES NOT cover hip dysplasia for dogs enrolled after the age of 6.
Healthy Paws also has a 12-month waiting period for hip dysplasia coverage from the date you sign up. This applies as long as there’s no prior related medical history for this condition. Check out our hip dysplasia article to learn more about this condition.
All dog breeds are eligible for Healthy Paws’ no-caps-on-claim payouts. Dogs between the ages of 8 weeks and 14 years are eligible to enroll, and your dog has coverage for the lifetime of the policy.
Healthy Paws has some restrictions on reimbursement and annual deductible amounts depending on your pet’s age at enrollment.
- Dogs and cats 5 years and under:
- 90%, 80% and 70% reimbursement
- $100, $250 and $500 deductible
- Dogs and cats 6 and 7 years old:
- 80%, 70% or 60% reimbursement
- $250, $500 or $750 deductible
- Dogs 8 years and older:
- 60% reimbursement
- $750 deductible
See the table below for examples of quotes from Healthy Paws. You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from Healthy Paws and several other top-ranked companies when you fill out our short quote form.
Remember though that Healthy Paws is the only company that only offer unlimited coverage, which we believe is the best choice if you are opting to get pet insurance since it covers you in just about any new situation. However, pricing may be slightly higher for Healthy Paws since you receive more complete coverage.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||English Cocker Spaniel||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Boy or Girl||Boy||Boy||Girl||Girl||Boy||Girl||Girl|
|Age||2 years||8 years||4 years||6 years||2 months||2 months||2 years|
(zip code: 33601)
(zip code: 60290)
(zip code: 90001)
(zip code: 10001)
(zip code: 10001)
(zip code: 33601)
(zip code: 20001)
|Price Per Month||$41.58||$52.44||$61.04||$57.37||$37.46||$31.87||$20.19|
Also, visit our Pet Insurance Quotes page to see how the cost of Healthy Paws stacks up against the competition.
Use this link and you will automatically receive up to a 5% discount. The actual discount varies based on individual state regulations. You can also visit our dedicated HealthyPaws promotions page to discuss current offers.
- 15-days: Illnesses and accidents
- 15-days: Cruciate ligament events (bilateral exclusion for pre-existing cruciate ligament injuries and lameness)
- 12-months: Hip dysplasia
We have had policies for both of our dogs for a few years with HealthyPaws and they have never failed us. We just filed multiple claims for our 9-year-old rescue mix that totaled over $2,100 and they paid them quickly and without any fuss. I recommend this company to anyone with a beloved fur-baby. It is better to have pet insurance from a reliable company and not need it than chance it when the time comes that you do need it. We will remain loyal customers because HealthyPaws stayed true to their word when we needed the policy most. – Monica B., BBB 4/17/2018
This was my first experience with pet insurance, and after meticulous research I chose Healthy Paws. And I’m so glad I did!! My very special cat needed surgery for the second time in a month. (I’m still mad at him.) I enrolled him in pet insurance right after his first surgery, and I’m so glad I did. 2 weeks after his waiting period ended, he needed surgery again. I maxed out my care credit with this second surgery but then needed it for my own dental care. So I called to request my claim be expedited. Ryan answered the phone and he was so warm and friendly. He even asked how my cat was doing! Then he asked me to submit some documents and told me he would follow up immediately. And he did!! I uploaded the documents and got a call shortly after saying he’s processed the claim and I should get a confirmation of benefits on that same day, if not the next morning!! I was SO impressed!! All this happened within a short span of an hour! My other 2 cats are also on healthy paws and I know they’re well protected with this amazing company!! Thank you Ryan for your prompt service and your caring attitude! – Lydia P., Yelp 3/18/2018
BEWARE outrageous policy increases every year. Typical insurance company will lure you in with an affordable option that will quickly turn into an outrageous expense. You are better off banking the money into a savings account that relying on them. The language from their website reads “your rates will increase slightly each year. These manageable annual increases” – If you consider 15% per year “slight” or “manageable” then maybe it’s for you, but when you’re paying $100 month, and will still be out of pocket a considerable amount for anything major, you really should ask yourself if it’s worth it. – Todd M., BBB 4/24/2018
Horrible customer service and in general horrible policies. It is absolutely worth the extra $10 a month to go with any other insurance agency other than this one. We were a member for about 2 months when we submitted our first claim. Our puppy had been peeing in our office and we wanted to bring her in to make sure it wasn’t a medical related issue before signing her up for training lessons. My mother called and made the appointment and they did a urinary test which ran us around $300. After 12 days of waiting for our claim to be processed, I emailed Healthypaws about when our claim would be reviewed. No response. About 4 days later I emailed again about our claim. Again no response. Then I finally called after roughly 18 days had passed and they began to process our claim that day. 3 hours after I called in to request they review our claim, I get an email saying our claim was denied. When I asked why, they said there was a note on my dogs health records stating that we were bringing her in to check for recurring UTI’s and since she had had two over the last year they were considering it a pre existing condition and would not pay. When I spoke with my vet they let me know that the note on our medical records were actually just notes the receptionist jotted down from a conversation she had had with my mother about the vet visit. I told healthypaws that these were just notes and not a diagnosis and was not the real reason we brought our dog to the vet. Healthypaws then told me verbatim “The official diagnosis does not affect coverage for a claim. Your own testimony regarding your pet’s health is taken into account when determining the start of signs and symptoms, since you know your pet best.” Apparently I have no need for a vet anymore since my mothers diagnosis means more than a vets. Good to know! In conclusion, if you want a company that isn’t trying to gauge you of your money and takes weeks to tell you your claim is denied after taking 3 hours to review – find a different agency. – Leah M., Yelp 2/12/2018
How Did Healthy Paws Help Baxter And His Pet Parents?
Cancer is the highest disease-related cause of death for pets each year, making up almost 50% of the total. Unfortunately, Baxter’s cancer diagnosis meant his owners needed help financially. See how Healthy Paws helped this family in a time of need.
Healthy Paws pet insurance is our #1 pick for best pet health insurance. Healthy Paws took the gold medal because it has a history of excellent customer service, an annual deductible (vs per incident) and unlimited lifetime benefits with every policy. When you sign up for your initial plan, you choose your yearly deductible and the percentage of the vet bill for reimbursement.
Healthy Paws also likes to give to those in need. Each time you get a quote from Healthy Paws, it donates money to a homeless pet. Healthy Paws also will continue covering your pet if you’re unable to care for them or if you die. This is rare in the industry, and we think it’s fantastic.
Still not sure if Healthy Paws is the right pet insurance provider for you? You’ve got lots of options, and you should always get multiple quotes to compare coverage and costs, finding the best value for your family.
Our Best Pet Insurance article compares Healthy Paws against many other providers to help you determine the best fit for you. If you’re thinking about getting pet insurance but still have some unanswered questions, feel free to ask us. We’re here to help you and your pets live a better, less stressful life.
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.