To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Healthy Paws pet insurance is our #1 pick for best pet health insurance. Healthy Paws took the gold medal because it has a history of great customer service, annual deductible (vs per incident) and unlimited lifetime benefits. You get to choose how you want to pay by deciding your annual deductible and the percentage of the vet bill that you’ll be reimbursed for when you sign-up for your initial plan.
Healthy Paws also likes to give to those in need. Each time you get a quote from Healthy Paws, it donates money to a homeless pet in need. Healthy Paws will continue covering your pet if you are unable to care for them or if you die. This is extremely rare in the industry and we think it’s awesome!
After you pay for your dog’s treatment at the vet, use the mobile app (download the iOS app for free via this link or the Android app here) to take a photo of your itemized vet invoice to submit your claim instantly. If you prefer pencil and paper, there is a claim form that you can print out and complete as well. Healthy Paws will process your claim and send you a reimbursement check.
- Underwriter: ACE Property & Casualty (Chubb)
- A.M. Best rating: A++
- Exam period:
- Dog less than 6-years-old must have visited the vet within the last 12 months or within 15 days of policy issuance
- Dogs older than 6-years-old must have been to the vet within the last 30 days or within 15 days of policy issuance
- Pre-existing conditions defined by Healthy Paws:
- a. illness or the recurrence of any illness or condition which first occurred or displayed any signs and/or symptoms consistent with the stated illness or condition prior to the pet policy effective date;
- b. an injury or recurrence of an injury that occurred prior to the pet policy effective date;
- or c. any condition or complication resulting from an illness or injury that occurred prior to the pet policy effective date
- Has one bi-lateral exclusion: pre-existing cruciate ligament problems to one leg as respects to the cost of future treatment for problems of the other leg
- 99% of claims are processed within 2 days (reimbursement checks are generally issued within 24 hours of processing)
- Policyholders can opt for direct deposit instead of a hard copy check
- Option to pay vets directly, so you don’t have to pay a hefty vet bill in advance and wait for reimbursement (not available everywhere)
- Will continue coverage for a pet if the pet parent becomes unable to care for the pet or dies. This works by transferring the policy to someone else without a lapse in coverage. The new policyholder will pay the same amount and there will be no newly added pre-existing conditions.
- No waiting periods in Maryland or New Hampshire
- 30-day free look period (similar to a money back guarantee)
Healthy Paws Review
- Annual deductible (not per incident)
- Unlimited lifetime coverage so no annual or per incident limits on claims
- Pricing is generally the best value vs competition
- Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the United States or Canada
- High customer satisfaction
- Easy to submit a claim on the Healthy Paws app for quick claim reimbursement
- BBB rating: A+
- Great email response time
- Good CCL (ACL) coverage
- Direct deposit or check reimbursement
- Veterinary exam fee and behavioral therapies are not covered
- Excludes hip dysplasia in animals enrolled after age 6, so this might not be the best option for large breeds that are older than 6. There is also a 12 month waiting period.
- There are age restrictions (if pet is older than 6 you must have vet exam within past 30 days for enrollment or within 15 days of policy issuance)
- Pets older than 8-years-old are restricted to 60% reimbursement and a $750 annual deductible
- 15-day waiting period for accident and illness
- No wellness plan
- Charges a one time $25 fee
Here is a list of services that HealthyPaws covers and does not cover (as of April 2018). Services included are not limited to this list and are subject to change.
|Hospitalization||Anal gland expression|
|Cancer||Vaccinations, titer test, flea control, heartworm medication, de-worming, nail trim, grooming|
|Prescription medications||Dental health care (injury to teeth caused by accident is covered)|
|Diagnostic treatment and testing (x-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, etc.)||Spay/neuter procedures|
|Accidents||Veterinary exam fees|
|Illnesses||Pre-existing cruciate ligament problems to one leg as respects the cost of future treatment for problems of the other leg|
|Congenital conditions||Parasite control including internal and external parasites|
Use this link and you will automatically receive up to a 10% discount. The actual discount varies based on individual state regulations. You can also visit our dedicated HealthyPaws promotions page to discuss current offers.
All dog breeds are eligible for Healthy Paws’ unlimited lifetime benefits. Dogs between the ages of 8 weeks and 14 years are eligible to enroll. Once enrolled, your dog is protected for the lifetime of the policy.
Healthy Paws has some restrictions on the reimbursement and annual deductible amounts for your pet depending on the age at enrollment.
- Dogs and cats 5-years and under:
- 90%, 80% and 70% reimbursement
- $100, $250 and $500 deductible
- Dogs and cats 6 and 7-years-old:
- 80%, 70% or 60% reimbursement
- $250, $500 or $750 deductible
- Dogs 8-years and older:
- 60% reimbursement
- $750 deductible
Below is a table showing examples of quotes from Healthy Paws. You can put your pet’s information directly into its site to get a better estimate for your pet (use our link above for the best discount).
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||English Cocker Spaniel||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||2 years||8 years||4 years||6 years||2 months||2 months||2 years|
(zip code: 33601)
(zip code: 60290)
(zip code: 90001)
(zip code: 10001)
(zip code: 10001)
(zip code: 33601)
(zip code: 20001)
|Price Per Month||$38.84||$53.08||$57.84||$55.55||$31.55||$28.02||$19.30|
Healthy Paws covers expensive hereditary and congenital conditions under the condition that your veterinarian has not noted these clinical symptoms prior to obtaining Healthy Paws’ pet insurance. You must enroll your dog for Healthy Paws pet insurance before the age of 6 for you to take advantage of this coverage. Healthy Paws DOES NOT cover hip dysplasia for dogs who are enrolled after the age of 6.
It’s important to know that there is a 12-month waiting period for hip dysplasia coverage from when you sign up with no related medical history to when your pet can be treated for it. Check out our hip dysplasia article to learn more about this condition, if your dog is likely to suffer from it and possible treatments for your pup.
- 15-days: Illnesses and accidents
- 15-days: Cruciate ligament events
- 12-months: Hip dysplasia
We found real Healthy Paws customers’ reviews. Not only the good but also the bad so you could see both ends of the company. Since the dogs couldn’t share their thoughts, we asked the pet parents 😉 .
We have had policies for both of our dogs for a few years with HealthyPaws and they have never failed us. We just filed multiple claims for our 9-year-old rescue mix that totaled over $2,100 and they paid them quickly and without any fuss. I recommend this company to anyone with a beloved fur-baby. It is better to have pet insurance from a reliable company and not need it than chance it when the time comes that you do need it. We will remain loyal customers because HealthyPaws stayed true to their word when we needed the policy most. – Monica B., BBB 4/17/2018
This was my first experience with pet insurance, and after meticulous research I chose Healthy Paws. And I’m so glad I did!! My very special cat needed surgery for the second time in a month. (I’m still mad at him.) I enrolled him in pet insurance right after his first surgery, and I’m so glad I did. 2 weeks after his waiting period ended, he needed surgery again. I maxed out my care credit with this second surgery but then needed it for my own dental care. So I called to request my claim be expedited. Ryan answered the phone and he was so warm and friendly. He even asked how my cat was doing! Then he asked me to submit some documents and told me he would follow up immediately. And he did!! I uploaded the documents and got a call shortly after saying he’s processed the claim and I should get a confirmation of benefits on that same day, if not the next morning!! I was SO impressed!! All this happened within a short span of an hour! My other 2 cats are also on healthy paws and I know they’re well protected with this amazing company!! Thank you Ryan for your prompt service and your caring attitude! – Lydia P., Yelp 3/18/2018
Cancer is the highest disease-related cause of death for pets each year making up almost 50% of the total. Unfortunately, Baxter was diagnosed with cancer and his owners needed help financially. See how Healthy Paws helped this family in a time of need.
BEWARE outrageous policy increases every year. Typical insurance company will lure you in with an affordable option that will quickly turn into an outrageous expense. You are better off banking the money into a savings account that relying on them. The language from their website reads “your rates will increase slightly each year. These manageable annual increases” – If you consider 15% per year “slight” or “manageable” then maybe it’s for you, but when you’re paying $100 month, and will still be out of pocket a considerable amount for anything major, you really should ask yourself if it’s worth it. – Todd M., BBB 4/24/2018
Horrible customer service and in general horrible policies. It is absolutely worth the extra $10 a month to go with any other insurance agency other than this one. We were a member for about 2 months when we submitted our first claim. Our puppy had been peeing in our office and we wanted to bring her in to make sure it wasn’t a medical related issue before signing her up for training lessons. My mother called and made the appointment and they did a urinary test which ran us around $300. After 12 days of waiting for our claim to be processed, I emailed Healthypaws about when our claim would be reviewed. No response. About 4 days later I emailed again about our claim. Again no response. Then I finally called after roughly 18 days had passed and they began to process our claim that day. 3 hours after I called in to request they review our claim, I get an email saying our claim was denied. When I asked why, they said there was a note on my dogs health records stating that we were bringing her in to check for recurring UTI’s and since she had had two over the last year they were considering it a pre existing condition and would not pay. When I spoke with my vet they let me know that the note on our medical records were actually just notes the receptionist jotted down from a conversation she had had with my mother about the vet visit. I told healthypaws that these were just notes and not a diagnosis and was not the real reason we brought our dog to the vet. Healthypaws then told me verbatim “The official diagnosis does not affect coverage for a claim. Your own testimony regarding your pet’s health is taken into account when determining the start of signs and symptoms, since you know your pet best.” Apparently I have no need for a vet anymore since my mothers diagnosis means more than a vets. Good to know! In conclusion, if you want a company that isn’t trying to gauge you of your money and takes weeks to tell you your claim is denied after taking 3 hours to review – find a different agency. – Leah M., Yelp 2/12/2018
Have you read our Healthy Paws review but still not sure if it’s the right pet insurance provider for you? That’s ok! You’ve got lots of options and you should always get at least two quotes to compare coverage and cost to find the best value for your family.
Our Best Pet Insurance Reviews article compares Healthy Paws against many other providers to help you determine the best fit for you. If you’re thinking about getting pet insurance but still have some unanswered questions feel free to ask us! We’re here to help you and your pets live a better, less stressful life.