This content was reviewed by our licensed insurance agent, Michelle Schenker.
To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
Pets Best is consistently among the least expensive pet insurance providers when we run our quotes. But does paying less mean you’re getting the same coverage you would with a more expensive provider? Our experts dig in and find out.
- Pets Best Overall Rating
- Pros & Cons Comparison Table
- Key Features
- What Are Pets Best’s Waiting Periods?
- What Does Pets Best Cover?
- How Is Pets Best’s Pricing Determined?
- Does Pets Best Have Any Discounts?
- How Does The Claim & Reimbursement Process Work?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Pets Best vs Other Companies
- Our Final Verdict On Pets Best
Pets Best Overall Rating
Our pet insurance experts read through each pet insurance companies’ policy to provide detailed comparisons and information regarding how a provider fares against others in the industry. We also speak with customers, read online feedback, and communicate one-on-one with the pet insurance companies to obtain a well-rounded, unbiased analysis of a company’s standings.
Our team rates pet insurance companies based on several factors, including A.M. Best ratings (an indicator of financial stability), claim processing reputations, contract coverage, customer service, pricing, plan customizations, and more.
Pros & Cons Comparison Table
|No lifetime limits on any plan||$2 transaction fee (waived if pay annually or live in MD or AK)|
|Great pricing, consistently among the least expensive when we ran quotes||Alternative/holistic therapies are not covered|
|Discounts available for multi-pets and military||Average claim processing is longer than competitors|
|Multiple forms of customer support|
|Electronic claim filing and direct deposit options|
|30-day money-back guarantee|
|No upper age limits (pets must be 7 weeks or older)|
|Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico|
|Optional wellness plan|
- Underwriter: American Pet Insurance Company
- A.M. Best rating (a measure of financial stability): Unrated
- No exam is required at enrollment
- Bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body): includes, but not limited to, luxating patellas, cruciate ligament events (CCL/ACL), glaucoma, entropion, ectropion, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, cataracts, cherry eye, and osteochondritis dissecans
- Claims process:
- Must submit claims within 180 days of the date of service
- Submit claims via customer’s online account, app, mail, email, or fax
- Claim processing currently averages 10-30 days, and direct deposit and check are both options
- Option to have Pets Best pay vets directly, so you don’t have to pay a hefty vet bill in advance and wait for reimbursement (not available everywhere)
- Can transfer ownership of a pet, and coverage will continue if the new owner contacts the company within 30 days
- Progressive and Farmers Insurance sell Pets Best
- Offers pre-approval of estimates/procedures in advance of treatment
- Covers curable pre-existing conditions they are healed or are curable and require no further treatment (e.g., broken legs, kennel cough, etc.)
Customer Service Options & Hours
- Monday – Friday: 6am to 7pm MST
- Saturday: 6am – 2pm MST
- Sunday: Closed
- Email and live chat
- 24/7 Pet Helpline allows you to speak with a vet expert day or night about your pet’s health or behavioral concerns
Pets Best will reduce or waive waiting periods, according to its policy:
Section 2, C5: The waiting periods may be reduced or waived for coverage acquired through pre-approved channels where the health of your Pet is certified by a participating veterinarian prior to coverage being purchased. Please refer to your Declaration Page for your Pet’s specific waiting period.
- Illnesses: 14 days
- Accidents: 3 days
- Cruciate Ligament: 6 months
- Hip Dysplasia: 14 days
- Wellness: 1 day
The details below are for Pets Best’s accident and illness policy. Pets Best also offers an accident-only plan and routine care coverage, which we discuss in more detail below.
Please know that none of the providers in our pet insurance comparison charts cover pre-existing conditions, cremation and burial costs, pregnancy and breeding, or unnecessary cosmetic procedures.
All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: emergency care, surgery and hospitalization, specialized exams and specialty care, X-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, cancer, chronic conditions, euthanasia, hereditary conditions, congenital conditions, non-routine dental treatment, and prescription medications. However, this coverage may have limitations, so please review your policy carefully.
|Condition||Covered By Pets Best|
|Exam Fees||Extra Fee|
|Wellness Care||Extra Fee|
What’s Pets Best’s Accident Only Plan?
Pets Best is one of the few pet insurance companies that offer an Accident Only plan. It includes a $10,000 annual payout limit, $250 deductible, and 90% reimbursement. It only covers accidents (as its name suggests) so things like broken bones are covered.
It doesn’t cover any illnesses, routine care, acupuncture, or chiropractic treatment. This plan has a flat rate of $9 per month for dogs and $6 per month for cats. There is a three-day waiting period for Pets Best’s Accident Only plan before coverage kicks in.
- Bite (animal, insect, snake)
- Hit by car or moving vehicle
- Foreign body ingestion
- Bone fracture
- Laceration, cut, abrasion
- Torn nail
- Medical problems directly attributable to accidental injury
Note: Torn ligaments are not covered in this plan.
Does Pets Best Offer Wellness Plans?
Pets Best offers two wellness plans shown below in the table. Included are the maximum amounts that Pets Best will pay each year for that specific routine care per year.
|Price Per Month||$16 ($14 in Washington)||$26 ($30 in Washington)|
|Spay/Neuter – Teeth Cleaning||$0||$150|
|Heartworm Test of FELV Screen||$25||$30|
|Blood, Fecal, Parasite Exam||$50||$70|
|Urinalysis or ERD||$15||$25|
|Total Annual Benefits||$305||$535|
Pets Best has no one-time fees and a $2 transaction fee for every payment (waived if you pay annually or live in AK or MD). Your monthly premium is based on the deductible, reimbursement percentage, and annual payout options that you choose from the table below.
|Deductible Options||Payout Options||Reimbursement Options|
Pricing is also based on your pet’s details (age, breed, location, pre-existing conditions, etc.). We recommend obtaining quotes from Pets Best for your specific pet to get an idea of how much a policy would cost you.
Pets Best offers the following discounts:
- 5% off for multiple pets
- 5% off for military members and their families
Pets Best uses a “copay then deductible” reimbursement method. This is calculated in the following way:
- (Eligible vet expenses x Reimbursement percentage) – Remaining annual deductible = Reimbursement amount
Here’s a reimbursement story to help you understand how Pets Best processes claims.
- Dog: Kingston, 8-year-old Miniature Pinscher
- Diagnosis: Foreign Body Ingestion
My poor little dog was vomiting, not eating and I went to the animal hospital and he needed surgery. I cannot thank Pets Best enough for their commitment to keep our precious pet alive! After reviewing my case, which only took a couple of days, I got reimbursed and they wired the money into my checking account. I tell everybody who shares with me they have a dog to sign up with Pets Best, I can’t thank Pets Best enough! – Kingston’s parent
- Treatment Cost: $2,824.62
- Pets Best Reimbursed: $2,606.37
- Final Cost For Pet Parents: $218.25
What Are The Most Common Claims Submitted To Pets Best?
|Average Cost For Dogs||Average Cost For Cats|
|Stomach Foreign Object||$3,262||$2,955|
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding Pets Best pet insurance from our readers.
How Do I Cancel Pets Best Insurance?
Pets Best has a pretty straightforward cancellation policy. Simply fill out this online form, and Pets Best will cancel your policy the day it receives your notice.
If you’d like a replacement for your Pets Best insurance policy, take a look at our pet insurance reviews to see which pet insurance companies we recommend.
Does Pets Best Premium Increase?
Your premium won’t increase based on the number of claims filed. However, as your pet ages, your premium will adjust to account for the increased likelihood that there will be age-related health issues.
How Long Does It Take For Pets Best To Process A Claim?
Pets Best’s current claim processing average is 10-30 days. The amount of time it takes for a claim to be processed is dependent upon the claim type.
Interested in seeing how Pets Best stacks up against other popular pet insurance companies? We’ve written comparison articles for you to see how Pets Best and other leading pet insurance companies compare in coverage, customer service and reputation, claim processing, plan customization, and price.
- Pets Best vs ASPCA
- Pets Best vs Embrace
- Pets Best vs Fetch by The Dodo
- Pets Best vs Figo
- Pets Best vs Healthy Paws
- Pets Best vs Pumpkin
- Pets Best vs Trupanion
We recommend Pets Best for its extensive coverage, customizable plans, and extremely competitive pricing. This company also offers an optional wellness plan. However, its underwriter is unrated by A.M. Best, which we consider a higher risk factor vs those who are rated. Further, Pets Best has received an influx of negative customer feedback regarding their lengthy claim repayment timeline in recent years.
If you’re interested in how Pets Best stacks up against other pet insurance carriers, check out our pet insurance reviews. You can also look at our best pet insurance article to see if Pets Best wins any of our coveted awards. Pets Best excels at many things and may be a great fit for you and your pet’s unique needs.Tagged With: Review, Reviewed By Insurance Agent