To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Pets Best is consistently among the least expensive pet insurance providers when we run our quotes. But does paying less mean you’re getting worse coverage for your furry pal?
Pets Best Review
- No lifetime limits on any plan
- Great pricing, consistently among the least expensive when we ran quotes
- BBB rating: A+
- Multiple forms of customer support: live chat, phone, email, FAQ
- Electronic claim filing and direct deposit options
- 30-day money back guarantee
- 5% multi-pet discount
- No age limits
- Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico
- 6-month waiting period for CCL injuries
- 14-day waiting period for Illness and 3 days for Accidents
- $2 transaction fee (waived if pay annually or live in Maryland or Alaska)
- Alternative/holistic therapies are not covered
- Claim payment is averaging 25-40 days currently
- Underwriter: American Pet Insurance Company
- A.M. Best rating: Unrated
- No exam required
- Bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body): luxating patellas, cruciate ligament events (CCL/ACL), glaucoma, entropion, ectopion, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, cataracts, cherry eye and osteochrondritis dissecans (potential for others as well)
- Claim repayment averages 25-40 days, and direct deposit is an option
- Must submit claims within 180 days of the date of service
- Option to have Pets Best pay vets directly, so you don’t have to pay a hefty vet bill in advance and wait for reimbursement (not available everywhere)
- Can transfer ownership of pet, and coverage will continue if new owner contacts the company within 30 days
- Submit claims via customer’s online account, app, mail or fax
- 30-day free look period (similar to a money-back guarantee)
- 24/7 Pet Helpline allows you to speak with a vet expert day or night
- 5% discount for military families (not available in Alaska, Hawaii, Tennessee)
Defined by Pets Best as:
In determining which Conditions are Pre-Existing, we look at the 18 months preceding the Policy Effective Date and exclude any Conditions that were Present during that period. Conditions that are Present during the policy Waiting Period described in 2.C. are also deemed to be Pre-Existing Conditions. Please note, the following Conditions are deemed Pre-Existing Conditions if they are Present at any time preceding the Policy Effective Date or the expiration of any Waiting Period:
1. Chronic Conditions.
2. Bilateral Conditions, if your Pet had at any time any PreExisting Conditions consistent with that same Bilateral Condition on either side of the body.
3. Intervertebral disc Conditions, if your Pet had at any time any Pre-Existing Conditions involving the intervertebral discs (due to either degeneration or trauma).
Customer Service Hours
- Email, text and live chat (hours not listed)
- Phone: Monday – Friday 7am to 7pm MT and Saturday 10am – 2pm MT
Pets Best will reduce or waive waiting periods, according to its policy:
Section 2, C5: The waiting periods may be reduced or waived for coverage acquired through pre-approved channels where the health of your Pet is certified by a participating veterinarian prior to coverage being purchased. Please refer to your Declaration Page for your Pet’s specific waiting period.
- 14 days: Illnesses and related conditions
- 3 days: Accidents and related conditions
- 6 months: Cruciate ligament events and any related conditions
- 14 days: Hip dysplasia
To learn more about ACL injuries in dogs, check out this video.
Services included are not limited to this list and are subject to change.
|Covered by Pets Best||Not Covered by Pets Best|
|Accidents and injuries||Pre-existing conditions (the 18 months preceding the policy effective date and conditions during the waiting period)|
|Emergency visits||Bilateral Conditions, if your pet had at any time any pre-existing conditions consistent with that same bilateral condition on either side of the body|
|Hereditary and congenital conditions||Chronic conditions that present signs or symptoms before the policy effective date|
|Prescription medications||Dietary supplements|
|Vet exam fees (in the Plus/Elite plans)||Burial and cremation|
|Wellness coverage (if purchased as a rider)||Acupressure|
|Outpatient care||Holistic care|
|Hospitalization||Stem cell therapy|
|Rehabilitation (in the Plus/Elite plans)||Preventative care|
|Bilateral conditions (if not present prior to policy effective date)|
|Foreign object ingestion|
|Acupuncture (in the Plus/Elite plans)|
|Physical therapy (in the Plus/Elite plans)|
|Hydrotherapy (in the Plus/Elite plans|
|Low level laser therapy (in the Plus/Elite plans)|
|Travel coverage in Canada, Puerto Rico and US Territories|
Accident Only Plan
Pets Best offers an Accident Only plan, which has a $10,000 annual limit, $250 deductible and 90% reimbursement. It only covers accidents (as its name suggests) so things like broken bones are covered.
It doesn’t cover any illnesses, routine care, acupuncture or chiropractic treatment. This plan has a flat rate of $9/month for dogs and $6/month for cats.
- Bite (animal, insect, snake)
- Hit by car or moving vehicle
- Foreign body ingestion
- Bone fracture
- Laceration, cut, abrasion
- Torn nail
- Medical problems directly attributable to accidental injury
Note: ACL injuries and hip dysplasia are not covered in this plan.
Routine Care Coverage
Pets Best offers 2 wellness plans shown below in the table. Included are the maximum amounts that Pets Best will pay each year for that specific routine care per year.
|Price Per Month||$16 ($14 in Washington)||$26 ($30 in Washington)|
|Spay/Neuter - Teeth Cleaning||$0||$150|
|Heartworm Test of FELV Screen||$25||$30|
|Blood, Fecal, Parasite Exam||$50||$70|
|Urinalysis or ERD||$15||$25|
|Total Annual Benefits||$305||$535|
Pets Best covers hip dysplasia after a 14-day waiting period, as long as it wasn’t a pre-existing condition. This can be reduced or waived according to Pets Best’s policy (see details below in Waiting Periods).
We’ve gathered some sample prices from Pets Best insurance for its accident and illness coverage plan. You have can choose your deductible, either $50, $100, $200, $250, $500 or $1,000. You can also choose your reimbursement level: 70%, 80% or 90%. For annual coverage limits, you can choose $5,000 or unlimited.
The cost of each policy is unique to your pet and depends on many variables, including your pet’s age, breed, location, health conditions and more. Below are sample prices for random breeds in various locations with different limitations. Quotes are from December 2019.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||Yorkshire Terrier||Golden Retriever||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||4 Months||4 Years||2 Years||2 Years|
|Location||Miami (33114)||New York City (10006)||San Francisco (94107)||Chicago (60615)|
|Price Per Month||$38.84||$59.66||$49.72||$11.21|
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from several top-ranked companies when you fill out just one short form. Also visit our pet insurance quotes page to see how the cost of Pets Best stacks up against the competition.
Pets Best offers two discounts that you may be eligible for when you use this link:
- 5% multi-pet discount
- 5% discount for military members and their families
- Dog: Kingston, 8-year-old Miniature Pinscher
- Diagnosis: Foreign Body Ingestion
My poor little dog was vomiting, not eating and I went to the animal hospital and he needed surgery. I cannot thank Pets Best enough for their commitment to keep our precious pet alive! After reviewing my case which only took a couple days, I got reimbursed and they wired the money into my checking account. I tell everybody who shares with me they have a dog to sign up with Pets Best, I can’t thank Pets Best enough! – Kingston’s parent
- Treatment Cost: $2,824.62
- Pets Best Reimbursed: $2,606.37
- Final Cost For Pet Parents: $218.25
I have been with Petsbest for almost 4 years now. My first claim was denied due to pre-existing condition which almost made me cancel the policy. However, after reading through all the fine prints, they were in the right to deny my claim. The condition started 1 day before the waiting period ended.
All claims afterward were paid within 1 – 2 weeks. They have paid over $5,000 for my dog so far in 7 claims from 4 illnesses. The premium has been increased at a very reasonable rate just from $287 in the first year to $326 yearly in the fourth year. Their customer service is great and easy to reach. Submitting a claim requires just a receipt photo and a short explanation on my part. PetsBest did the rest of the work. I am glad I did not cancel the policy in the first year and would like to thank PetsBest for helping our family out with all the expense. – Pan J., Yelp 9/26/2019
I love having pet best for my Bella , have no worries easy to file a claim and easy explanation of what they giving you back wick and easy. – Christina P., TrustPilot 12/7/2019
If I weren’t forced to keep them as a carrier I would have chosen another one however I’m stuck Their latest excuse for not paying claims on time- now it’s taking 20-25 days “because of our growth.. bla bla bla Hire more people Still calling them Pets Worst Thinking again about opening a claim with the DOI – Beth M., Yelp 11/15/2019
You people do not know what you are doing. I have had a claim going for ever and have sent you all information and more. You keep denying me because my vet sent wrong papers to you from one of my other pets and she and i have written you about it but yet you still denied it and I have to reopen it again and it takes you 60 days to review every time .i will never use you again and am going to council my puppies coverage as soon as i find a other co. Would never recomend you and I have reported you to ins. Board – Rosanna S.L., TrustPilot 12/7/2019
We recommend Pets Best for its comprehensive coverage, customizable plans and extremely competitive pricing. This company also offers an optional wellness plan. However, its underwriter is unrated by A.M. Best, which we consider a higher risk factor vs those who are rated.
If you’re interested in how Pets Best stacks up against other pet insurance carriers, check out our pet insurance comparison to see the results.
What features do you like or dislike about Pets Best?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.