Pets Best is consistently among the least expensive pet insurance providers when we run our quotes. But does paying less mean you’re getting the same coverage you would with a more expensive provider? Our experts dig in and find out.
Pets Best Review
- No lifetime limits on any plan
- Great pricing, consistently among the least expensive when we ran quotes
- BBB rating: A+
- Multiple forms of customer support: live chat, phone, email, FAQ
- Electronic claim filing and direct deposit options
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 5% multi-pet discount
- No upper age limits (pets must be 7 weeks or older)
- Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico
- Optional wellness plan
- $2 transaction fee (waived if pay annually or live in MD or AK)
- Alternative/holistic therapies are not covered
- Average claim repayment has been longer than most during the past year
- Underwriter: American Pet Insurance Company
- A.M. Best rating (a measure of financial stability): Unrated
- No exam required
- Bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body): includes, but not limited to, luxating patellas, cruciate ligament events (CCL/ACL), glaucoma, entropion, ectropion, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, cataracts, cherry eye, and osteochondritis dissecans
- Claims process:
- Must submit claims within 180 days of the date of service
- Submit claims via customer’s online account, app, mail, email, or fax
- Claim repayment averages 25-40 days, and direct deposit and check are both options
- Option to have Pets Best pay vets directly, so you don’t have to pay a hefty vet bill in advance and wait for reimbursement (not available everywhere)
- Can transfer ownership of pet, and coverage will continue if new owner contacts the company within 30 days
- 30-day free look period (similar to a money-back guarantee)
- 24/7 Pet Helpline allows you to speak with a vet expert day or night
- Progressive and Farmers Insurance sell Pets Best
- Other discounts available: 5% multi-pet discount and 5% military families discount (not available in AK, HI, TN)
- Some of the most common claims submitted by Pets Best customers are:
- Cancer: $4,137 for dogs and $3,282 for cats
- Stomach foreign object: $3,262 for dogs and $2,955 for cats
- Diabetes: $2,892 for dogs and $1,634 for cats
- Broken bone: $2,371 for dogs and $2,257 for cats
- Offers pre-approval of estimates/procedures in advance of treatment
- Pets Best wins the following best pet insurance categories, including:
- Best Price
- Best For Older Dogs
- Best For Dental Needs
- Best For Wellness Coverage
Defined by Pets Best as:
In determining which Conditions are Pre-Existing, we look at the 18 months preceding the Policy Effective Date and exclude any Conditions that were Present during that period. Conditions that are Present during the policy Waiting Period described in 2.C. are also deemed to be Pre-Existing Conditions. Please note, the following Conditions are deemed Pre-Existing Conditions if they are Present at any time preceding the Policy Effective Date or the expiration of any Waiting Period:
1. Chronic Conditions.
2. Bilateral Conditions, if your Pet had at any time any PreExisting Conditions consistent with that same Bilateral Condition on either side of the body.
3. Intervertebral disc Conditions, if your Pet had at any time any Pre-Existing Conditions involving the intervertebral discs (due to either degeneration or trauma).
Customer Service Hours
- Email and live chat (hours not listed)
- Phone: Monday – Friday 6am to 7pm MT and Saturday 6am – 2pm MT
Pets Best will reduce or waive waiting periods, according to its policy:
Section 2, C5: The waiting periods may be reduced or waived for coverage acquired through pre-approved channels where the health of your Pet is certified by a participating veterinarian prior to coverage being purchased. Please refer to your Declaration Page for your Pet’s specific waiting period.
- 14 days: Illnesses and related conditions
- 3 days: Accidents and related conditions
- 6 months: Cruciate ligament events and any related conditions
- 14 days: Hip dysplasia
- 1 day: Wellness
The details below are for Pets Best’s accident and illness policy. Pets Best also offers an accident only plan as well as routine care coverage, which we discuss in more detail below.
Please know that none of the providers in our pet insurance comparison charts cover pre-existing conditions or cremation and burial costs. All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: x-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, specialized exams, surgery, hospitalization, emergency care, specialty care, hydrotherapy, chronic conditions, cancer, diagnostic treatment, alternative/holistic therapy, and euthanasia. However, there may be limitations to this coverage, so please check your policy.
|Condition||Covered By Pets Best|
|Exam Required To Set Health Baseline|
|Exam Fees||Extra Fee|
|Wellness Care Available For An Extra Fee|
|Non-Routine Dental Treatment|
|Breed, Whelping, Pregnancy|
|Cosmetic Procedures (e.g., Tail Docking, Ear Cropping, Dew Claw Removal) Unless Medically Necessary|
Accident Only Plan
Pets Best offers an Accident Only plan, which has a $10,000 annual payout limit, $250 deductible, and 90% reimbursement. It only covers accidents (as its name suggests) so things like broken bones are covered.
It doesn’t cover any illnesses, routine care, acupuncture, or chiropractic treatment. This plan has a flat rate of $9/month for dogs and $6/month for cats.
- Bite (animal, insect, snake)
- Hit by car or moving vehicle
- Foreign body ingestion
- Bone fracture
- Laceration, cut, abrasion
- Torn nail
- Medical problems directly attributable to accidental injury
Note: ACL injuries and hip dysplasia are not covered in this plan.
Routine Care Coverage
Pets Best offers two wellness plans shown below in the table. Included are the maximum amounts that Pets Best will pay each year for that specific routine care per year.
|Price Per Month||$16 ($14 in Washington)||$26 ($30 in Washington)|
|Spay/Neuter - Teeth Cleaning||$0||$150|
|Heartworm Test of FELV Screen||$25||$30|
|Blood, Fecal, Parasite Exam||$50||$70|
|Urinalysis or ERD||$15||$25|
|Total Annual Benefits||$305||$535|
Pets Best’s 24/7 Pet Helpline is available to all policyholders at no additional cost. You can use the helpline for advice on your pet’s health, behavior, toxicity questions, and more. Pets Best recommends utilizing the helpline or contacting your vet if any of the following health or behavioral issues come up that may be more common due to the time of year or just overall relevance (you can also use the hotline for other health concerns):
- Panting or pacing
- Hiding or cowering
- Destroying furniture
- Self-harm from excessive licking or chewing
- Insect bites:
- Excessive licking
- Redness and swelling
- Hair loss
- Open sores
Policyholders can live chat with a vet through your Pets Best account. The vet can help you decide if a trip to your veterinary’s office is necessary or not.
We’ve gathered some sample prices from Pets Best insurance for its accident and illness coverage plan. You can choose your deductible, either $50, $100, $200, $250, $500, or $1,000. You can also choose your reimbursement level: 70%, 80%, or 90%. For annual payout limits, you can choose $5,000 or unlimited.
The cost of each policy is unique to your pet and depends on many variables, including your pet’s age, breed, location, health conditions, and more. Below are sample prices for random breeds in various locations with different limitations for Pets Best’s Plus plan. Quotes are from December 2020.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||Yorkshire Terrier||Golden Retriever||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||4 Months||4 Years||2 Years||2 Years|
|Location||Miami (33114)||New York City (10006)||San Francisco (94107)||Chicago (60615)|
|Price Per Month||$33.72||$59.66||$52.02||$11.21|
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from several top-ranked companies when you fill out just one short form. Also, visit our pet insurance quotes page to see how the cost of Pets Best stacks up against the competition.
- Dog: Kingston, 8-year-old Miniature Pinscher
- Diagnosis: Foreign Body Ingestion
My poor little dog was vomiting, not eating and I went to the animal hospital and he needed surgery. I cannot thank Pets Best enough for their commitment to keep our precious pet alive! After reviewing my case, which only took a of couple days, I got reimbursed and they wired the money into my checking account. I tell everybody who shares with me they have a dog to sign up with Pets Best, I can’t thank Pets Best enough! – Kingston’s parent
- Treatment Cost: $2,824.62
- Pets Best Reimbursed: $2,606.37
- Final Cost For Pet Parents: $218.25
Pets Best uses a “copay then deductible” reimbursement method. This is calculated in the following way:
- (Eligible vet expenses x Reimbursement percentage) – Remaining annual deductible = Reimbursement amount
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding Pets Best pet insurance from our readers.
How To Cancel Pets Best Insurance?
Pets Best has a pretty straightforward cancellation policy. Simply fill out this online form, and Pets Best will cancel your policy the day it receives your notice.
If you’d like a replacement for your Pets Best insurance policy, take a look at our pet insurance reviews to see which pet insurance companies we’ve selected in our top three.
Interested in seeing how Pets Best stacks up against other popular pet insurance companies? We’ve written comparison articles for you to see how Pets Best and other leading pet insurance companies compare in coverage, customer service and reputation, claim repayment timeline, plan customization, and price.
We recommend Pets Best for its comprehensive coverage, customizable plans, and extremely competitive pricing. This company also offers an optional wellness plan. However, its underwriter is unrated by A.M. Best, which we consider a higher risk factor vs those who are rated. Further, Pets Best has received an influx of negative customer feedback regarding their lengthy claim repayment timeline in recent months.
If you’re interested in how Pets Best stacks up against other pet insurance carriers, check out our pet insurance reviews.
What features do you like or dislike about Pets Best?