Pets Best is consistently among the least expensive pet insurance providers when we run our quotes. But does paying less mean you’re getting lesser coverage for your furry pal? Maybe not in this case.
Pets Best Review
- No lifetime limits on any plan
- Great pricing, consistently among the least expensive when we ran quotes
- BBB rating: A+
- Multiple forms of customer support: live chat, phone, email, FAQ
- Electronic claim filing and direct deposit options
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 5% multi-pet discount
- No upper age limits (pets must be 7 weeks or older)
- Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico
- Optional wellness plan
- $2 transaction fee (waived if pay annually or live in MD or AK)
- Alternative/holistic therapies are not covered
- Average claim repayment has been longer than most during the past year
- Underwriter: American Pet Insurance Company
- A.M. Best rating: Unrated
- No exam required
- Bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body): includes, but not limited to, luxating patellas, cruciate ligament events (CCL/ACL), glaucoma, entropion, ectropion, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, cataracts, cherry eye, and osteochondritis dissecans
- Claims process:
- Must submit claims within 180 days of the date of service
- Submit claims via customer’s online account, app (Android | iOS), mail, email, or fax
- Claim repayment averages 25-40 days, and direct deposit and check are both options
- Option to have Pets Best pay vets directly, so you don’t have to pay a hefty vet bill in advance and wait for reimbursement (not available everywhere)
- Can transfer ownership of pet, and coverage will continue if new owner contacts the company within 30 days
- 30-day free look period (similar to a money-back guarantee)
- 24/7 Pet Helpline allows you to speak with a vet expert day or night
- Progressive and Farmers Insurance sell Pets Best
- Other discounts available: 5% multi-pet discount and 5% military families discount (not available in AK, HI, TN)
- Some of the most common claims submitted by Pets Best customers are:
- Offers pre-approval of estimates/procedures in advance of treatment
- We rank them the best pick for many of our pet insurance categories, including:
Defined by Pets Best as:
In determining which Conditions are Pre-Existing, we look at the 18 months preceding the Policy Effective Date and exclude any Conditions that were Present during that period. Conditions that are Present during the policy Waiting Period described in 2.C. are also deemed to be Pre-Existing Conditions. Please note, the following Conditions are deemed Pre-Existing Conditions if they are Present at any time preceding the Policy Effective Date or the expiration of any Waiting Period:
1. Chronic Conditions.
2. Bilateral Conditions, if your Pet had at any time any PreExisting Conditions consistent with that same Bilateral Condition on either side of the body.
3. Intervertebral disc Conditions, if your Pet had at any time any Pre-Existing Conditions involving the intervertebral discs (due to either degeneration or trauma).
Customer Service Hours
- Email and live chat (hours not listed)
- Phone: Monday – Friday 6am to 7pm MT and Saturday 6am – 2pm MT
Pets Best will reduce or waive waiting periods, according to its policy:
Section 2, C5: The waiting periods may be reduced or waived for coverage acquired through pre-approved channels where the health of your Pet is certified by a participating veterinarian prior to coverage being purchased. Please refer to your Declaration Page for your Pet’s specific waiting period.
- 14 days: Illnesses and related conditions
- 3 days: Accidents and related conditions
- 6 months: Cruciate ligament events and any related conditions
- 14 days: Hip dysplasia
- 1 day: Wellness
Services included are not limited to this list and are subject to change.
|Covered by Pets Best||Not Covered by Pets Best|
|Accidents and injuries||Pre-existing conditions (the 18 months preceding the policy effective date and conditions during the waiting period)|
|Emergency visits||Bilateral Conditions, if your pet had at any time any pre-existing conditions consistent with that same bilateral condition on either side of the body|
|Hereditary and congenital conditions||Chronic conditions that present signs or symptoms before the policy effective date|
|Prescription medications||Dietary supplements|
|Vet exam fees (in the Plus/Elite plans)||Burial and cremation|
|Wellness coverage (if purchased as a rider)||Acupressure|
|Outpatient care||Holistic care|
|Hospitalization||Stem cell therapy|
|Rehabilitation (in the Plus/Elite plans)||Preventative care|
|Bilateral conditions (if not present prior to policy effective date)|
|Foreign object ingestion|
|Acupuncture (in the Plus/Elite plans)|
|Physical therapy (in the Plus/Elite plans)|
|Hydrotherapy (in the Plus/Elite plans|
|Low level laser therapy (in the Plus/Elite plans)|
|Travel coverage in Canada, Puerto Rico and US Territories|
Accident Only Plan
Pets Best offers an Accident Only plan, which has a $10,000 annual limit, $250 deductible, and 90% reimbursement. It only covers accidents (as its name suggests) so things like broken bones are covered.
It doesn’t cover any illnesses, routine care, acupuncture, or chiropractic treatment. This plan has a flat rate of $9/month for dogs and $6/month for cats.
- Bite (animal, insect, snake)
- Hit by car or moving vehicle
- Foreign body ingestion
- Bone fracture
- Laceration, cut, abrasion
- Torn nail
- Medical problems directly attributable to accidental injury
Note: ACL injuries and hip dysplasia are not covered in this plan.
Routine Care Coverage
Pets Best offers two wellness plans shown below in the table. Included are the maximum amounts that Pets Best will pay each year for that specific routine care per year.
|Price Per Month||$16 ($14 in Washington)||$26 ($30 in Washington)|
|Spay/Neuter - Teeth Cleaning||$0||$150|
|Heartworm Test of FELV Screen||$25||$30|
|Blood, Fecal, Parasite Exam||$50||$70|
|Urinalysis or ERD||$15||$25|
|Total Annual Benefits||$305||$535|
We’ve gathered some sample prices from Pets Best insurance for its accident and illness coverage plan. You can choose your deductible, either $50, $100, $200, $250, $500, or $1,000. You can also choose your reimbursement level: 70%, 80%, or 90%. For annual coverage limits, you can choose $5,000 or unlimited.
The cost of each policy is unique to your pet and depends on many variables, including your pet’s age, breed, location, health conditions, and more. Below are sample prices for random breeds in various locations with different limitations for Pets Best’s Plus plan. Quotes are from December 2020.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||Yorkshire Terrier||Golden Retriever||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||4 Months||4 Years||2 Years||2 Years|
|Location||Miami (33114)||New York City (10006)||San Francisco (94107)||Chicago (60615)|
|Price Per Month||$33.72||$59.66||$52.02||$11.21|
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from several top-ranked companies when you fill out just one short form. Also, visit our pet insurance quotes page to see how the cost of Pets Best stacks up against the competition.
- Dog: Kingston, 8-year-old Miniature Pinscher
- Diagnosis: Foreign Body Ingestion
My poor little dog was vomiting, not eating and I went to the animal hospital and he needed surgery. I cannot thank Pets Best enough for their commitment to keep our precious pet alive! After reviewing my case, which only took a of couple days, I got reimbursed and they wired the money into my checking account. I tell everybody who shares with me they have a dog to sign up with Pets Best, I can’t thank Pets Best enough! – Kingston’s parent
- Treatment Cost: $2,824.62
- Pets Best Reimbursed: $2,606.37
- Final Cost For Pet Parents: $218.25
Pets Best uses a “copay then deductible” reimbursement method. This is calculated in the following way:
- (Eligible vet expenses x Reimbursement percentage) – Remaining annual deductible = Reimbursement amount
Hands down better than I could have ever expected. They covered by beloved German Shepherd for 9 years. Paid so well. Mostly at the very end paid for his cremation and after hours vet fee. Love them – S.P., Yelp 6/20/2020
I’m so grateful for this service. Submitting claims via the app is very convenient and you are able to check on the progress without the need to speak to customer support. Thank you for caring…this means alot to our fur family 🐾 – LBM, Trustpilot 12/14/2020
I’ve been with this garbage company for 3 years, and when I FINALLY need them, they denied my dogs heart failure claim, saying not enough info from the vet, even though the vet gave ALL the paperwork they had, so did I (completely itemized) . $4000 bill so far and growing because of meds, etc. NO REASON to deny claim, but still did. Now I have to get an attorney, and go through all that. I have 4 dogs insured by pets best, no longer. This is not a mistake or miscommunication, my dog was brought into an vet, they diagnosed, gave me the paperwork, I gave all this to pets best, they denied me saying simply ” not enough info from vet”, which is untrue. I even had the vet send 3 times (Faxed AND e-mailed). I will now have to sue to get what they promised to cover. AND it took them 57 days to process the claim.GO ANYWHERE ELSE TO GET YOUR PET INSURED IF YOU CARE ABOUT $$$$$. So I have a dog with a severe heart problem, and a insurance co that won’t pay for it. – Alley M., Yelp 11/25/2020
If I could give no stars I would. HORRIBLE company that has crappy customer service, barely any coverage and makes you wait on the phone for an hour or more before answering. They barely reimburse you anything for the price you pay monthly and then they don’t cover what you actually need covered. So stupid and not worth it. I just switched pet insurances because PetsBest is so awful – Mycaela E., Trustpilot 12/9/2020
See what the key differences are between Pets Best and other leading pet insurance companies.
- Pets Best offers $5,000 or unlimited claim limits, while Healthy Paws offers unlimited.
- Healthy Paws has a longer waiting period for hip dysplasia at 12 months vs Pets Best’s 14 days and a shorter ACL waiting period at 15 days vs Pets Best’s 6 months.
- Pets Best is consistently among the least expensive when we run quotes.
- Pets Best was consistently among the least expensive when we ran quotes, while Petplan tends toward the higher end.
- Pets Best has a shorter 14-day waiting period for hip dysplasia, while Petplan’s is 6 months.
- Petplan’s underwriter (XL Specialty Insurance Company) has an A.M. Best A rating, while Pets Best’s underwriter (American Pet Insurance Company) is unrated.
We recommend Pets Best for its comprehensive coverage, customizable plans, and extremely competitive pricing. This company also offers an optional wellness plan. However, its underwriter is unrated by A.M. Best, which we consider a higher risk factor vs those who are rated. Further, Pets Best has received an influx of negative customer feedback regarding their lengthy claim repayment timeline in recent months.
If you’re interested in how Pets Best stacks up against other pet insurance carriers, check out our pet insurance reviews.
What features do you like or dislike about Pets Best?