To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Pets have crossed the line from the animal world into the human world. It is not uncommon for people to refer to their pets as their “children”. We see evidence of this in the market of pet-related products from fashionable clothing and high-end accessories to pet insurance and pet cemeteries. It is no wonder that people also want to include their pets in family celebrations complete with party favors and cakes.
Cakes For Dogs
That’s right – cakes for dogs! It would be cruel to order a Dairy Queen ice cream cake for Fido’s birthday party and either not let him partake of the treats or let him indulge and then suffer the inevitable belly ache (not to mention the messes…) afterwards. But dog owners now have viable options available to provide healthy and beautiful cakes made especially for doggie bellies. You can either order a cake for Fido or Fifi or you can even make one yourself!
Make Your Own Cakes For Dogs
If you like to bake, you can have unlimited creative freedom in designing your own Fido cake. You can also decorate it to fit any holiday or festivity. However, I strongly suggest that you take a picture of your doggie cake before you let Fido dig in because once he gets started, it will be gone, and without proof that you actually made a cake for your dog, no one will ever believe it!
Box Dog Cake Mixes
The most cost-effective and easiest method is probably to bake up a pre-made box dog cake. There are many to choose from but here are a few of our favorites.
- Lazy Dog Cookie Company Original Pup-PIE Dog Treat
- Puppy Cake Wheat-Free Peanut Butter Cake Mix and Frosting
You can even get fun, dog-themed cupcake molds to create treats for each dog who attends your pup’s birthday party!
Double Layer Meat Cake Recipe
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup softened margarine
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 5 oz. chicken baby food
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 large container of plain yogurt
- 4 strips of bacon
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease two round cake pans (8”). You may also want to flour the pans as well, though this is optional.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until well blended.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the margarine; add the eggs oil until all is well blended.
- Add the chicken and carrots. Continue beating.
- Slowly add the flour mixture until it is all well blended.
- Pour half the batter into each of the baking pans.
- Bake for approximately one hour. Test the doneness by sticking a toothpick into the center of the cakes and if it comes out clean, the cakes are ready to be taken out of the oven.
- Let the cakes cool for at least ten minutes before turning them out to cool completely on wire racks.
While the cakes are cooling, fry the bacon so that it is very crisp. Drain, cool, then chop into small pieces.
To ice and decorate the cake, place one layer on a serving plate and cover it with 1/3 of the yogurt. Place the second layer on top of that and cover it with the remaining yogurt. Be sure to ice the sides as well. Sprinkle the crumbled bacon over the top.
Serving size: 1 cake
Tips: You can place “candles” on the cake by using thin snack treat sticks.
Where To Buy Cakes for Dogs
If you don’t feel like making your own dog cakes, here are some sites that are user-friendly, have attractive products with nutritional information, and customer reviews. The cakes look so good they even get me drooling!
The Barkery Online – This site has all kinds of bakery items for dogs and they specialize in dog birthday cakes. With four main flavors and four shapes, you can specially design the cake to meet the needs of your special occasion. You can even get a photo of your dog put onto the cake’s decorations for an additional five dollars.
Posh Pet Glamour Boutique – Although the Posh Pet Glamour Boutique specialized in designer clothes and accessories, they have a bakery section that has a really nice selection of cupcakes and cakes. This is a fun site to browse and get some great ideas for pampering your pup.
Warning: Do not give the whole cake to your dog at one time!! Cut it into small pieces and share it with other dogs in the neighborhood 🙂
What is your dog’s favorite cake flavor?