To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Smartphone apps aren’t just for humans anymore. In fact, there are dozens of dog and pet apps out there to help you manage your responsibilities as a devoted dog parent.
Need to talk to a vet or trainer after business hours? Searching for pet sitters or pet-friendly hotels for your next vacation? There are apps for that — and much more!
Can Dog Apps Save You Money?
The average American household spends more than $500 each year on pet expenses. From pet budgeting apps and easy health tips to free training tools and savings on pet-friendly hotels, dog apps give you necessary resources at your fingertips — and most apps are entirely free (or close to it)!
Best Dog Apps By Category
Below are the categories of apps and our top pick for each.
Hate leaving your dog at a kennel when you have to be away? Rover is an excellent resource to help you find pet sitters near you.
Rover connects pet owners with more than 20,000 top-rated pet sitters across the country, who will either care for your pup in their own home or come to yours.
You even get premium pet insurance that covers reservations made through the site or app and daily photo updates of your furry friends.
- Excellent search features, pet sitter profiles and reviews.
- Schedule a meet-and-greet with a potential sitter.
- Use the app to make a reservation and payment.
- Tips for common ailments, training and other topics.
- Free (but you pay various pricing for services)
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is the first in the industry to create an easy-to-use mobile app, where you can send your claims in with your smartphone and have them handled quickly.
All you have to do is take a photo of your invoice and send it on! But if you don’t have pet insurance or are unhappy with what you have, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance is our number one recommended choice.
See our article, Is Healthy Paws the Best Pet Insurance?
Does your dog like to break free any chance he gets? Keep tabs on him 24/7 with the Whistle app, our pick for best dog monitor app. The app is free, but you have to purchase what is essentially a GPS monitor that fits onto his collar.
With Whistle you’ll be able to track your dog’s activity and behavior. And Whistle also serves as a daily timeline so you can add notes and photos, as well as log food and medications.
If you’re interested in seeing our other dog monitor recommendations, see our article, Best Dog Activity Monitor: Fitbark vs Whistle vs Link AKC & More.
- Set daily activity goals
- Monitor your dog’s activity level on a daily basis.
- Whistle app: Free
- Whistle GPS Pet Tracker:
The American Red Cross Pet First Aid app gives you vet advice in case of emergencies right at your fingertips. It’s easy to use and has a ton of features, step-by-step advice, videos, interactive quizzes and more.
And it comes highly rated by consumers, animal organizations and news outlets. This is a great app for any pet owner to have on hand.
- Easily toggle between dog and cat content.
- Emergency tools include a vet hospital locator, contact your vet and early warning signs checker.
- Pet first aid step-by-step tips for more than 25 common pet ailments, including “how to” videos.
- Advice on how to administer medication and behavioral help.
- Create multiple pet profiles and store all your vet records so they’re in the palm of your hand at all times.
- Set vet appointments and reminders.
Want to buy a new houseplant but not sure if it’s dog friendly? The PupTox app is an excellent reference tool including more than 250 things that are toxic to dogs and cats.
If you ever need to quickly determine if your dog just ate something poisonous, PupTox is your go-to guide.
- Built-in chocolate toxicity calculator.
- Easily search by categories: beverages & liquids, foods, garden or house plants, chemicals, etc.
- Program your vet’s number into the app.
- Quick call the Pet Poison Helpline or the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
View iOS App | Android app not available
Professional dog trainers use them around the world. But who needs to buy a clicker when there’s a free clicker app that you can have on you at all times?
You can teach your dog basic and advanced behavior, how to do tricks and more with this dog training app!
- Virtual clicker with volume-controlled clicking sound.
- The Noise Box — 48 distinct sounds you can use to train your dog and desensitize him from bothersome noises (fireworks, door bell, cat meowing…you get the idea!).
- More than 30 in-depth clicker how to training videos — using the iClicker, training your dog obedience, solving behavior problems and much more.
View iOS App | Android app not available
Need a dog groomer? Doggie day care? Local vet recommendations? The Pet Care Services Finder app is at your service. It’s the best app we’ve seen that searches and finds many of your pet-related needs based on your location.
- Great category search features for a variety of local pet services — pet sitters, walkers, daycare, dog parks, trainers, groomers, clinics, hospitals and more.
- The app targets your search by your location and provides local results by business, location, mobile map, contact information and driving directions to your desired service.
Want to take your furry friend with you when you travel? The BringFido app is a perfect resource. Search for pet-friendly hotels and get the lowdown on hotels based on location, price and reviews by fellow dog parents.
BringFido also lets you search for pet-friendly area attractions, restaurants, parks, beaches and more!
- Hotel search filters include large dogs, multiple pets, no pet fees, etc.
- Book reservations with BringFido’s Best Rate Guarantee.
- Locate nearby pet-friendly attractions and upcoming dog events.
- Find local resources, including sitters, groomers, veterinarians and more.
What About Gaming Apps For Dogs?
Yep, there actually are a number of gaming apps for your dogs and cats, too. Watch the following video to see how our furry friends get their game on.
Dog Cam Apps
If you struggle to get through the day without seeing your pup’s furry face, you may want to consider purchasing a doggy camera. Pet cams let you peak on your dog through an app and some even let you give treats to your pooch too.
What are your favorite dog apps?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.