To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
|Easy To Use|
|Track Health Closely|
Technology has come a long way for both humans and pets over the years. And now there’s a way to track your dog’s daily activity (think Fitbit for your pup!)? We reviewed the latest and greatest products in the “dog Fitbit” category including key features and pricing for each. From GPS tracking and fitness monitoring to goal setting and comparing your dog to others of the same breed, you are going to be blown away all the things you can do with these high-tech doggy devices.
What Are Dog Activity Monitors?
Dog activity monitors do just what they sound like they would do: They monitor the activity level — or lack thereof — of your dog. It can be used to track when they play, nap, or walk over the course of a day and to find your pup if they’re lost. You can even use it to keep tabs on who’s hanging out with your dog when you’re not around. Other common features include:
- GPS to track your dog anywhere, anytime (there are also dedicated GPS dog collars that do something similar) in case they get lost
- Bluetooth capabilities to see who’s with your dog at any given time
- Progress trackers to monitor how often your pup is active (compared to similar dogs)
- Messengers and to-do lists to keep all your dog’s caretakers in the loop
- Goal-setting capabilities to proactively help your furry friend live a healthier life
Best Dog Activity Monitor
Now that you know a little more about how they work, let’s share our top picks for each category. Then we’ll share some other popular dog activity trackers below that. Read on to learn more about the best FitBit for dogs for each category to find the best “fit” your active pup!
The FitBark was one of the most highly wanted pet items for a Kickstarter campaign. In 27 hours they raised over $80,000 when their goal was only $35,000. The bone design of their on-collar monitor is cute and smaller than most other monitors and comes in a variety of colors. The app performs well, and the pet activity tracker is easy to use. Since 2015, they’ve quickly become a leading product in the market, providing valuable data about dogs and their activity habits that researchers can use for studies.
In late 2017, they came out with FitBark 2 which is a new and improved version of the original. Same design, stronger, more durable material, extremely long battery life compared to other trackers (3.5 dog years), interchangeable color covers and the ability to link to your fitness tracker (Fitbit, Apple, Google, Jawbone) and more.
- Understand your dog’s health by tracking his/her progress and the kind of day he/she is having via an activity/time breakdown.
- See your dog’s progress to other dogs of the same breed, so you see what is normal and what is not.
- Share your dog’s activity report with your vet, so there’s no doubt about how he/she is doing.
- Compare your activity level with that of your dog by linking your fitness tracker to FitBark.
- Waterproof and can recharge without removing from the collar.
- Free shipping, 30-day money back guarantee and available for dogs anywhere in the world.
- Light-weight design, waterproof up to 1 meter (for 30 minutes) and no monthly subscription fees.
If you’re looking to buy the original you can use the Amazon link below to find resellers. However, for$69.95 the new FitBark 2 is a great value for improved performance (and flexibility in colors) and is currently available purchase on their website. Both versions include no monthly fees, free iOS and Android apps and 1-year limited warranty.
Video: FitBark Overview
Watch this two and a half minute video to see how this tiny, comfortable clip can provide endless insights into your furry friend.
The Tagg pet tracking system has two main features: It allows you to track your pet’s location via GPS and your pet’s activity from your computer or mobile device, 24/7. Set up a “Tagg Zone,” where your pet spends most of his time, and you can monitor when they’ve left their designated area (or gotten out of it). Locate him easily on Tagg’s mobile website or free app, or if you’re really in a pinch, text “LOCATE” to 52366 and Tagg will send you your dog’s exact, current address. In addition to being a dog fitness tracker, Tagg also provides info on your pet’s activity throughout the day. An activity snapshot allows you and your vet to see at a glance the overall activity level of your dog, while a timeline tracks every walk, run, snooze or sniff. A 90-day timeline allows you to compare your pet’s activity level over the course of three months.
- GPS tracking systems knows where your dog is at all times and helps you locate his exact whereabouts in seconds.
- Tagg will text your dog’s location right to your mobile device.
- Activity monitoring with timelines of one day to twelve months.
- Ambient temperature sensor tells you when your dog is too hot or cold.
Whistle Acquired Tagg
We should note that Whistle (reviewed below) announced in January 2015 their acquisition of Tagg. It’s still called Tagg but sold under the Whistle umbrella with the grey and white coloring now too. The only major difference is its size which is a bit bulkier and not recommended for smaller dogs (under 10 pounds).
The Whistle 3’s sleek, attractive design does three things at once: tracks your dog (or cat)’s GPS location, activity and pet care history. This clip on-collar activity monitor tracks rest patterns, allows you to set fitness goals and gives you easy access from your smartphone at any time via the free app. It even gives you a map of your dog’s steps down to the exact paw up to 3,000 miles away. However, Whistle’s accuracy and advanced features come at a price. There’s a monthly subscription plan required (starting at $6.95/month) which uses AT&T’s cellular network and is only available in the U.S.
- Track activity and rest with a visual summary of your dog’s daily activity. Set a daily goal and monitor your pet’s progress.
- Keep track of medications, a food log or make notes of things you noticed that day.
- Continue to get updates on your pup’s progress while you’re away with Whistle’s WiFi capabilities. Just connect Whistle to the network where your pup is spending her day, and you’ll be able to track her progress even if you’re not around.
- Whistle pet tracker uses Bluetooth to show with whom your pup is spending time. (Note: You’ll need to sync the phones’ of both parties with Whistle 3 via Bluetooth to receive this information.)
- Share your adventures with other pet owners through photos.
- Battery life up to one week (no base station required) and waterproof.
Best Dog Activity Monitors
Below are other dog activity monitors that we’ve reviewed. Although they weren’t winners in our three categories, one may be a good fit for your pup.
Unlike the other many activity trackers we reviewed that clip on to your dog’s existing collar, the Link AKC is a collar itself with a removable and rechargeable tracking unit. It comes in five sizes, and all are adjustable in a stylish light brown stitched leather. One unique feature of this smart collar is the built-in LED light that helps your dog be seen at night and sound alert to assist in training both of which can be controlled remotely using the app. It’s similar to the Whistle with it’s pinpoint GPS technology via AT&T which requires a monthly service fee starting at $7.95.
- Three GPS zones for your pet’s location: with you (within Bluetooth range of your phone), near base station (around certain radius of where charging device is plugged in) and away (not lost, but outside the safe zone).
- Vet records and reminders, temperature alerts and activity tracker.
- Virtual scrapbook to record and remember adventures with photos and notes.
- 24/7 access to vet professionals in case of emergency.
- Battery life up to 2 days and water resistant up to 3 feet.
- 90-day money back guarantee and 3-year limited warranty.
Petkit’s activity tracker is a cute little disk about the size of a half dollar coin and weighing only 0.3 ounces. It’s available in a variety of colors and comes with two sizes of bands for attaching to your dog’s existing collar. What we love about the Petkit is that it tracks meal consumption which can then calculate approximate calories consumed as well as sleep quantity and quality. This data combined with your dog’s activity translates into a fitness report and overall mood score. The only downside is this tracker doesn’t include GPS (but could be a good thing since you’re not paying an additional monthly fee).
- Monitors activity, sleep, calories, overall health and even mood.
- Use the app to see real-time statistics.
- Scuff-free surface is durable and compact, light-weight design is comfortable.
- Must be within Bluetooth range. (If you’re away from your pet you can’t see the real-time stats.)
- Water resistant up to 1 meter for 30 minutes.
PetPace is a smart collar system that tracks data including temperature, activity, pulse, respiration, calories (consumed and burned) and heart rate variations to detect health trends and potential concerns. The 1.5 oz collar collects data throughout the day and communicates with the base station every 1-2 minutes (when within 1,000 feet) and alerts you and your vet at the moment it signals a problem. You can also log in to an online account or use the app to see your pet’s dashboard to see trends, health history, daily progress and more. Note: the gateway base requires an Ethernet port to transmit data and a yearly monitoring plan (but could be worth it for the in-depth health analysis and ability to share data with vet).
- Uses sophisticated technology to analyze health data like temperature, heart rate, respiration and position (sitting, standing, lying down).
- Proactively lets you know when there is a potential health problem, which is especially good for elderly pets or ones with chronic conditions.
- Has undergone 10,000 hours of testing on thousands of cats and dogs.
- LED indicator lights on both the collar and Gateway base station.
- Waterproof, 3-week battery life, adjustable and comes in 3 sizes: from cats up to larger dogs.
- 30-day Money Back Guarantee and 1-year Warranty.
Attach the Tractive MOTION to your dog’s collar and data will be sent directly to your smartphone. The tracker collects data 24/7 so you know exactly what your pet is doing. Your dog gets points for the level of activity throughout the day, and you get notified if your pet is being too lazy. It tracks ambient temperature so you can see the correlation between the environment and your dog’s behavior. The tracker is waterproof so your dog can still play in the water. However, make sure you’ve always got your eyes on your dog. This tracker does not have GPS installed in it.
- Sends real-time stats to your phone so you can see how active your pup has been up to that point.
- Tracks your dog’s motions, how much she moves and when.
- Captures ambient temperature and light to see how it relates to your dog’s activity.
- Syncs data via Bluetooth, not WiFi, so if you’re away from your pup you won’t know its current activity.
- Charges via USB and has a decent battery life.
- 100% waterproof.
Voyce was previously available as an activity monitor for dogs but is no longer available.
An Active Dog is a Happy Dog
Wondering how your dog’s breed activity level compares to others? Check out our article with data from FitBark to see how your dog competes. And if you really want to pimp out your dog’s collar, you can add even more bling including a dog camera and smart ID tag. Then your dog will definitely be the smarted pup on the block.
What activity tracker does your dog use? Would you recommend it to others?