This content was reviewed by our licensed insurance agent, Michelle Schenker.
To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
PetFirst was founded in 2004 and bought by MetLife in December 2019. MetLife is one of the few pet insurance companies to offer a 100% reimbursement option. It also has a short waiting period for accidents (only one day after enrollment). But do these factors make it the best pet insurance for your dog or cat?
MetLife Overall Rating
Our pet insurance experts read through each pet insurance companies’ policy to provide detailed comparisons and information regarding how a provider fares against others in the industry. We also speak with customers, read online feedback, and communicate one-on-one with the pet insurance companies to obtain a well-rounded, unbiased analysis of a company’s standings.
Our team rates pet insurance companies based on several factors, including A.M. Best ratings (an indicator of financial stability), claim processing reputations, contract coverage, customer service, pricing, plan customizations, and more.
Pros & Cons Comparison Table
|Optional wellness plan (must purchase in conjunction with pet insurance)||Doesn’t cover treatment, services, or supplies provided outside the U.S.|
|80% of claims are processed within 10 days||Excludes working pets (e.g., law enforcement, racing, etc.)|
Don’t like the score you’re seeing? Our experts have analyzed over a dozen pet insurance providers. Check out our pet insurance reviews to learn more about this year’s top-ranked companies.
- Underwriter: Independence American Insurance Company (IAIC)
- A.M. Best rating (a measure of financial stability): A-
- Bilateral conditions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body) may be covered in some cases
- Claims process:
- Submit claims via email, app, mail, MyPets account, or fax
- 80% of claims are processed within 10 days
- Reimbursement is available via direct deposit, check, or Zelle
- Healthy pet incentive: Deductible decreases by $50 each policy year you don’t receive a claim reimbursement (may not be available in all U.S. states)
- Automatic policy limit increase: if your policy limit is $5,000 or more and you have an unused amount of $1,000 or more at the end of the policy period, then MetLife will increase your policy limit by $500 at no extra cost to you when you renew
- Offers coverage for advertising and reward if your pet is lost (due to theft or straying), grief counseling when your pet passes away, and more
Customer Service Options & Hours
- Monday-Friday: 8am-9pm EST
Saturday & Sunday: 10am-7pm EST
- Monday-Friday: 8am-9pm EST
- Live chat
- Illnesses: 14 days
- Accidents: 1 day
- Cruciate Ligament: 6 months
- Hip Dysplasia: 1 day
- Wellness: 1 day
What Does MetLife Cover?
Please know that none of the providers in our pet insurance comparison charts cover pre-existing conditions, cremation and burial costs, pregnancy and breeding, or unnecessary cosmetic procedures.
All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: emergency care, surgery and hospitalization, specialized exams and specialty care, X-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, cancer, chronic conditions, euthanasia, hereditary conditions, congenital conditions, non-routine dental treatment, and prescription medications. However, this coverage may have limitations, so please review your policy carefully.
|Condition||Covered By MetLife|
|Wellness Care||Extra Fee|
MetLife offers a routine care package as an add-on to your pet insurance policy, but doesn’t share specific details about what’s offered in this wellness plan.
From the options below, MetLife lets you choose your deductible, annual payout, and reimbursement amount. What you select will help determine your monthly cost.
|Deductible Options||Payout Options||Reimbursement Options|
MetLife offers a 10% discount for vets, shelter personnel, etc. It also offers discounts for those serving in the military, veterans, first responders, and healthcare workers.
How Does The Claim & Reimbursement Process Work?
MetLife uses a “deductible then copay” reimbursement method. This is calculated in the following way:
- Actual vet bill amount – Remaining annual deductible – Copay = Reimbursement amount
What’s Our Final Verdict?
MetLife isn’t our top pick for pet insurance but why? Other companies can offer lower prices, more comprehensive coverage, and have longer, more stable reputations in the pet insurance industry. We rate the best pet insurance companies based on coverage, customer service and reputation, claim processing, price, plan customizations, and more. Find out who we chose as our top picks in our pet insurance reviews.Tagged With: Review, Reviewed By Insurance Agent