This content was reviewed by our licensed insurance agent, Michelle Schenker.
To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
Figo offers customizable coverage for you to choose one of their three extensive plans. You can then add-on coverage for Wellness, Veterinary Exam Fee Coverage, or the Extra Care Pack. Figo is one of the only pet insurance companies to offer up to 100% reimbursement so big vet bills won’t break your bank.
No pet insurance company covers pre-existing conditions, but Figo will help you identify those conditions at the start of your policy. If you don’t think you’ll get value out of pet insurance after your initial review, just cancel within 30 days of signing up to get your money back. Find out if Figo offers the coverage you’re looking for and if it will align with your budget.
Figo Overall Rating
Our pet insurance experts read through each pet insurance companies’ policy to provide detailed comparisons and information regarding how a provider fares against others in the industry. We also speak with customers, read online feedback, and communicate one-on-one with the pet insurance companies to obtain a well-rounded, unbiased analysis of a company’s standings.
Our team rates pet insurance companies based on several factors, including A.M. Best ratings (an indicator of financial stability), claim processing reputations, contract coverage, customer service, pricing, plan customizations, and more.
Pros & Cons Comparison Table
|Annual deductible (not per-incident)||If there is a knee injury prior to enrollment or during the 6-month waiting period, both knees are excluded from coverage|
|Claim processing averages 3 days||$2/month transaction fee (can be waived if you pay annually)|
|Diminishing deductible||$15 administration fee|
|Vet exam fee can be covered for an additional cost|
|Optional wellness plan (not available in all states) can be purchased as an add-on|
|5% multi-pet discount|
|Your pet is covered anywhere in the world|
|No upper age limits (pets must be 8 weeks or older)|
- Underwriter: Independence American Insurance Company (IAIC)
- A.M. Best rating (a measure of financial stability): A-
- An exam within the last 12 months is used as your pet’s baseline (if there is no exam within the last 12 months, the first exam after the effective policy period is used as a baseline)
- Bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body): luxating patellas, cruciate ligament tears or ruptures, cataracts, glaucoma, cherry eye, entropion, ectropion, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, and osteochondritis dissecans
- Claims process:
- Must submit claims within 180 days
- Submit claims via Figo Pet Cloud app, email, or fax
- Processes the majority of claims within 3-5 days (closes nearly half in 24 hours)
- Direct deposit or check reimbursement is available
- Diminishing deductible: for each year a policyholder is claim free, the deductible decreases $50 until it is $0
- Offers pre-approval of estimates/procedures in advance of treatment
- Covers curable pre-existing conditions if there have been no signs or symptoms within the last year
- Policies bought via Costco are serviced by Figo
Customer Service Options & Hours
- Phone, text, live chat, email:
- Monday – Friday 7am to 7pm CST
- Saturday 8am to 6pm CST
- Text only:
- Sunday 11am to 3pm CST
- Illness: 14 days
- Accidents: 1 day
- Orthopedic Conditions (including cruciate ligament, knee, hip dysplasia, and more): 6 months*
- Wellness: 0 days
*Ability to waive if a veterinarian completes exam/waiver form within the first 30 days of the policy period and there are no pre-existing conditions.
Please know that none of the providers in our pet insurance comparison charts cover pre-existing conditions, cremation and burial costs, pregnancy and breeding, or unnecessary cosmetic procedures.
All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: emergency care, surgery and hospitalization, specialized exams and specialty care, X-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, cancer, chronic conditions, euthanasia, hereditary conditions, congenital conditions, non-routine dental treatment, and prescription medications. However, this coverage may have limitations, so please check your policy.
|Condition||Covered By Figo|
|Exam Fees||Extra Fee|
|Wellness Care||Extra Fee|
Figo also offers optional “power-ups” for Wellness, Veterinary Exam Fees, and Extra Care Pack.
There are two wellness plans to choose from. The table below includes the maximum amounts that Figo will pay for specific routine items each year.
|Spay/Neuter or Teeth Cleaning||$40||$75|
|Annual Wellness Coverage||$135||$250|
*Vaccines include titers, rabies, and other vaccines approved for general use by AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) or equivalent industry regulating entity. This category also includes flea, tick, and heartworm preventatives.
**Tests include heartworm test, FELV screen, blood, fecal, and parasite exam, urinalysis, or ERD.
Veterinary Exam Fees For Accident & Illness Visit
Vet exam fees are something you may assume are included with most pet insurance policies, but each company handles it differently. For an added fee, you can have exam or consultation fees associated with the diagnosis of your pet’s eligible illness or accident covered.
Extra Care Pack
The following items are included in this optional add-on concierge service:
- Advertising and reward for a lost pet
- Vacation cancellation due to pet emergency
- Boarding fees
- Loss due to theft or straying (annual limit is $150)
- Third-party property damage liability ($10,000 annual limit)
- Final respects ($250 toward cremation/burial expenses)
We’ve gathered some sample prices from Figo for its accident and illness plans with no optional “power-ups” included. You can choose your deductible, annual payout, and reimbursement amount from the options listed in the table below.
Figo is one of the only providers we’ve reviewed to offer a 100% reimbursement option. Please know that all deductible and reimbursement options aren’t available in every state.
|Deductible Options||Payout Options||Reimbursement Options|
The cost of each policy is unique to your pet and depends on many variables, including your pet’s age, breed, location, health conditions, and more. Below are sample prices for select breeds in various locations with different limitations for Figo for you to use as examples only. Quotes are from December 2021.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||English Cocker Spaniel||German Shepherd||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||2 years||8 years||4 years||2 years|
|Annual Payout Limit||$5,000||Unlimited||$10,000||Unlimited|
|Price Per Month||$40.20||$78.35||$85.53||$22.84|
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from reputable companies when you fill out just one short form. You can also visit our pet insurance quotes page to see how the cost of Figo stacks up against the competition.
Figo offers the following discounts:
- 5% off any new Figo pet insurance policy (exclusive for Canine Journal readers – use this link)
- 5% off for multiple pets
- Your deductible automatically goes down $50 each year you don’t receive a claim payment
Figo uses a “deductible then copay” reimbursement method. This is calculated in the following way:
- Actual vet bill amount – Remaining annual deductible – Copay = Reimbursement amount
- Dog: Bowie, 7-year-old Saint Bernard mix
- Diagnosis: Torn CCL surgery
- Total Vet Cost: $4,899.17
- Total Reimbursed By Figo: $4,251.78
Most Common Claims Submitted To Figo
- Vomiting: $550
- Diarrhea: $550
- Knee/Hip Issues: $500 to $800 and $1,000+ for surgery
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding Figo pet insurance from our readers.
We reached out to Figo, and according to them, it’s a play on the popular dog name “Fido.” An astute marketer might note the integration of the word “go” as in “move forward.”
Figo covers non-routine dental treatment and trauma to the teeth, face, and jaw. It also covers tooth extractions due to an accident. The key to dental procedure coverage is that it must be part of a non-routine situation.
You may cancel your policy at any time by emailing Figo at [email protected] You can also reach them at (844) 738-3446. Any pro-rated refunds for pre-payment of your annual policy will be granted based on your policy contract conditions.
If you’d like a replacement for your Figo insurance policy, take a look at our pet insurance reviews to see which pet insurance companies we recommend.
Figo offers two optional wellness plans in some states. It also offers a wellness plan for canines and felines as an add-on in its employee benefit plans.
Interested in seeing how Figo stacks up against other popular pet insurance companies? We’ve written comparison articles for you to see how Figo and other leading pet insurance companies compare in coverage, customer service and reputation, claim processing, plan customization, and price.
Figo is often less expensive than some pet insurance companies, and it offers comparable coverage to other top competitors. We’ve compared Figo against other top pet insurance companies and explain how they stack up in our pet insurance reviews. Check it out to see whether Figo made our top picks and which companies we feel are the best.
You can also look at our best pet insurance guide to see what awards Figo has won. Figo excels at many things and may be a great fit for your needs.Tagged With: Review, Reviewed By Insurance Agent