Figo has competitive pricing for its pet insurance policies. But is its coverage comparable to more costly pet insurance companies? Will Figo cover accidents and illnesses for your pet during an emergency?
Figo Pet Insurance
- Annual deductible (not per-incident)
- BBB rating: B
- Claims repayment averages 4 days, but 50% are closed within 24 hours
- Vet exam fee can be covered for an additional cost
- App available to support claims via iOS and Android
- 10% multi-pet discount
- Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the U.S., Canada. and Puerto Rico
- No upper age limits (pets must be 8 weeks or older)
- If there is a knee injury prior to enrollment or during the 6-month waiting period, Figo only covers CCL (ACL) on a second leg if the first leg remains healed for 12 months
- $2/month transaction fee (can be waived if you pay annually)
- No wellness plan for consumers (only via employee benefit)
- Doesn't cover behavioral therapy
- Underwriter: Independence American Insurance Company (IAIC)
- A.M. Best rating: A-
- The first exam after the effective policy date will be used as a baseline
- Bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body): luxating patellas, cruciate ligament tears or ruptures, cataracts, glaucoma, cherry eye, entropion, ectropion, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, and osteochondritis dissecans
- Claims process:
- Pet Cloud app reminds you of upcoming vet appointments, gives you popular pet places around you, 24/7 live vet video chat, file a claim, meet pets near you, and more
- Some of the most common claims submitted by Figo customers are:
- Offers pre-approval of estimates/procedures in advance of treatment
- We choose them as the best pick for many pet insurance categories, including:
- Best For Multiple Pets
- Best For 100% Reimbursement
- Best For Puppies
- Best For Cats
Defined by Figo as:
Claims for Accident or Illness to the Pet(s) that occur or manifest, whether treated or not, prior to the effective date of the Policy or during the waiting period.
Customer Service Hours
- Phone, text, live chat, email: Monday – Friday 8am to 7pm CST and Saturday 8am to 6pm CST
- Text only: Sunday 11am to 3pm CST
- 14 days: Illness
- 3 days: Accidents (depending on state)
- 6 months: Cruciate ligament events and knees
- 14 days: Hip dysplasia
Please know that none of the pet insurance providers in our comparison cover pre-existing conditions or cremation and burial costs. All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: x-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, specialized exams, surgery, hospitalization, emergency care, specialty care, hydrotherapy, chronic conditions, cancer, diagnostic treatment, alternative/holistic therapy, and euthanasia. However, there may be limitations to this coverage, so please check your policy.
|Condition||Covered By Figo|
|Exam Required To Set Health Baseline|
|Exam Fees||Extra Fee|
|Wellness Care Available For An Extra Fee|
|Non-Routine Dental Treatment|
|Breed, Whelping, Pregnancy|
|Cosmetic Procedures (e.g., Tail Docking, Ear Cropping, Dew Claw Removal) Unless Medically Necessary|
Figo offers a variety of deductible options ($100, $200, $250, $500, $750, $1,000, and $1,500) as well as reimbursement selections (60%, 65%, 70%, 80%, 90%, and 100%). Figo is one of the only providers we’ve reviewed to offer a 100% reimbursement option. Please know that all of the deductible and reimbursement options aren’t available in every state.
Below is a table showing examples of quotes from Figo. You can put your pet’s information directly into its site to get a better estimate for your pet (use our link below for the best discount).
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||English Cocker Spaniel||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||2 years||8 years||4 years||6 years||2 months||2 years|
(zip code: 33134)
(zip code: 60290)
(zip code: 90001)
(zip code: 10001)
(zip code: 10001)
(zip code: 20001)
|Price Per Month||$29.07||$69.68||$78.02||$72.85||$41.43||$19.04|
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from reputable companies when you fill out just one short form. You can also visit our pet insurance quotes page to see how the cost of Figo stacks up against the competition.
Figo uses a “copay then deductible” reimbursement method. This is calculated in the following way:
- (Eligible vet expenses x Reimbursement percentage) – Remaining annual deductible = Reimbursement amount
Bowie’s Torn CCL
- Dog: Bowie, 7-year-old Saint Bernard mix
- Diagnosis: Torn CCL surgery
- Total Vet Cost: $4,899.17
- Total Reimbursed By Figo: $4,251.78
Dealer’s Cancer Diagnosis
- Dog: Dealer, 6-year-old Golden Retriever
- Diagnosis: Lump on his front leg resulting in cancer (soft tissue sarcoma)
- Total Vet Cost: Approximately $3,000
- Total Reimbursed By Figo: Approximately $2,700 (90%)
Mystique’s Episioplasty Surgery
- Dog: Mystique, 1-year-old Golden Retriever
- Claim: Episioplasty surgery
- Total Vet Cost: $2,021.38
- Total Reimbursed By Figo: $2,021.38
Love this insurance! Never have to worry how I am going to pay for treatment… I have peace of mind knowing that my fur babies will be taken care of despite the cost…claims are processed fast and goes right in my account. Have recommend this insurance many times to friends and family.. – J.W., Yelp 12/7/2020
Claim was easy to file and quickly resolved. I wish all insurers were this easy to work with. – Greg, Trustpilot 12/20/2020
Two years in a row Figo changed underwriters of my Cindy’s policy. Each year came with an increase in the premium. The second year however is what forced me to leave. They said my premium would increase nearly 150% from $55 to $121 a month to keep the same coverages. Or just a five dollar increase with a doubling of the deductible and a 35% loss of the coverage (from 90% to 70%). I promptly switched over to a competitor. This blatant money grab should drive them out of business. Big fat zero from me. – Rodney W., Yelp 8/21/2020
Take any money you would pay them and put it into an account to use for your pet needs. They will take forever to “resolve” your claim and then not pay anything. They are a scam, a waste of time, and probably paid for the good reviews on here because they don’t pay for the type of things most people who gave glowing reviews said they paid for. – Thunder Pantz, Trustpilot 11/18/2020
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding Figo pet insurance from our readers. Have your own? Ask us in the comments.
We reached out to Figo and according to them, it’s a play on the popular dog name “Fido.” An astute marketer might note the integration of the word “go” as in “move forward.”
Figo covers non-routine dental treatment and trauma to the teeth, face, and jaw. It also covers tooth extractions due to an accident. The key for dental procedure coverage is that it must be part of a non-routine situation. Routine procedures would be covered only by wellness plans.
You may cancel your policy at any time by emailing Figo at email@example.com. You can also reach them at (844) 738-3446. Any pro-rated refunds for pre-payment of your annual policy will be granted based on your policy contract conditions.
Figo offers a wellness plan for canines and felines as an option in its employee benefit plans. However, when a consumer purchases a plan directly from Figo, independent of an employee benefit plan, there is no option to add a wellness plan.
See what the key differences are between Figo and another leading pet insurance company.
- Healthy Paws doesn’t cover exam fees, Figo covers them for an extra fee.
- Healthy Paws pays 99% of its claims within 2 days, while Figo typically pays claims within 4 business days (50% are paid within 24 hours).
- Figo offers more claim limit options than Healthy Paws does (unlimited only).
Figo is often less expensive than some pet insurance companies, and it offers comparable coverage to other top competitors. We’ve compared Figo against other top pet insurance companies and ranked our top three in our pet insurance reviews. Check it out to see whether Figo made our top picks and which companies we feel are the best.
Would you cover your pet with Figo pet insurance?