This content was reviewed by our licensed insurance agent, Michelle Schenker.
To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
Figo offers customizable coverage for you to choose one of their three extensive plans. You can then add-on coverage for Wellness, Veterinary Exam Fee Coverage, or the Extra Care Pack. Figo is one of the only pet insurance companies to offer up to 100% reimbursement so big vet bills won’t break your bank.
No pet insurance company covers pre-existing conditions, but Figo will help you identify those conditions at the start of your policy. If you don’t think you’ll get value out of pet insurance after your initial review, just cancel within 30 days of signing up to get your money back. Find out if Figo offers the coverage you’re looking for and if it will align with your budget.
Figo Overall Rating
Our pet insurance experts read through each pet insurance companies’ policy to provide detailed comparisons and information regarding how a provider fares against others in the industry. We also speak with customers, read online feedback, and communicate one-on-one with the pet insurance companies to obtain a well-rounded, unbiased analysis of a company’s standings.
Our team rates pet insurance companies based on several factors, including A.M. Best ratings (an indicator of financial stability), claim processing reputations, contract coverage, customer service, pricing, plan customizations, and more.
Pros & Cons Comparison Table
|Annual deductible (not per-incident)||If there is a knee injury prior to enrollment or during the 6-month waiting period, both knees are excluded from coverage|
|Claim processing averages 3 days||$2/month transaction fee (can be waived if you pay annually)|
|Diminishing deductible||$15 administration fee|
|Vet exam fee can be covered for an additional cost|
|Optional wellness plan (not available in all states) can be purchased as an add-on|
|5% multi-pet discount|
|Your pet is covered anywhere in the world|
|No upper age limits (pets must be 8 weeks or older)|
- Underwriters and A.M. Beset ratings (a measure of financial stability):
- Independence American Insurance Company (IAIC): A-
- Market American Insurance Company: A
- Markel Insurance Company: A
- An exam within the last 12 months is used as your pet’s baseline (if there is no exam within the last 12 months, the first exam after the effective policy period is used as a baseline)
- Bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body): luxating patellas, cruciate ligament tears or ruptures, cataracts, glaucoma, cherry eye, entropion, ectropion, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, and osteochondritis dissecans
- Claims process:
- Must submit claims within 180 days
- Submit claims via Figo Pet Cloud app, email, or fax
- Processes the majority of claims within 3 days (closes nearly half in 24 hours)
- Direct deposit or check reimbursement is available
- Diminishing deductible: for each year a policyholder is claim free, the deductible decreases $50 until it is $0
- Offers pre-approval of estimates/procedures in advance of treatment
- Covers curable pre-existing conditions if there have been no signs or symptoms within the last year
- Policies bought via Costco are serviced by Figo
Customer Service Options & Hours
- Phone, text, live chat, email:
- Monday – Friday 7am to 7pm CST
- Saturday 8am to 6pm CST
- Sunday 11am to 3pm CST
What Are Figo’s Waiting Periods*?
- Illness: 14 days
- Accidents: 1 day
- Orthopedic Conditions (including cruciate ligament, knee, hip dysplasia, and more): 6 months†
- Wellness: 0 days
*Waiting periods for Maine are as follows:
- Accidents - 0 days
- Illnesses - 14 days
- Cruciate Ligament Conditions - 30 days
- Routine Care - 0 days
†Ability to waive if a veterinarian completes exam/waiver form within the first 30 days of the policy period and there are no pre-existing conditions.
What Does Figo Cover?
Please know that none of the providers in our pet insurance comparison charts cover pre-existing conditions, cremation and burial costs, pregnancy and breeding, or unnecessary cosmetic procedures.
All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: emergency care, surgery and hospitalization, specialized exams and specialty care, X-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, cancer, chronic conditions, euthanasia, hereditary conditions, congenital conditions, non-routine dental treatment, and prescription medications. However, this coverage may have limitations, so please check your policy.
|Condition||Covered By Figo|
|Exam Fees||Extra Fee|
|Wellness Care||Extra Fee|
Figo also offers optional “power-ups” for Wellness, Veterinary Exam Fees, and Extra Care Pack.
There are two wellness plans to choose from. The table below includes the maximum amounts that Figo will pay for specific routine items each year.
|Spay/Neuter or Teeth Cleaning||$40||$75|
|Annual Wellness Coverage||$135||$250|
*Vaccines include titers, rabies, and other vaccines approved for general use by AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) or equivalent industry regulating entity. This category also includes flea, tick, and heartworm preventatives.
**Tests include heartworm test, FELV screen, blood, fecal, and parasite exam, urinalysis, or ERD.
Veterinary Exam Fees For Accident & Illness Visit
Vet exam fees are something you may assume are included with most pet insurance policies, but each company handles it differently. For an added fee, you can have exam or consultation fees associated with the diagnosis of your pet’s eligible illness or accident covered.
Extra Care Pack
The following items are included in this optional add-on concierge service:
- Advertising and reward for a lost pet
- Vacation cancellation due to pet emergency
- Boarding fees
- Loss due to theft or straying (annual limit is $150)
- Third-party property damage liability ($10,000 annual limit)
- Final respects ($250 toward cremation/burial expenses)
What Does Figo Pet Insurance Cost?
Figo has a $15 one-time fee and a $2 transaction fee for every payment. Your monthly premium is based on the deductible, reimbursement percentage, and annual payout options that you choose from the table below.
Figo is one of the only providers we’ve reviewed to offer a 100% reimbursement option. Please know that all deductible and reimbursement options aren’t available in every state.
|Deductible Options||Payout Options||Reimbursement Options|
Pricing is also based on your pet’s details (age, breed, location, pre-existing conditions, etc.). We recommend obtaining quotes from Figo for your specific pet to get an idea of how much a policy would cost you.
You can also use our pet insurance quote form to see how top providers compare for your actual pet.
Does Figo Have Coupons?
Figo offers the following discounts:
- 5% off any new Figo pet insurance policy (exclusive for Canine Journal readers – use this link)
- 5% off for multiple pets
- Your deductible automatically goes down $50 each year you don’t receive a claim payment
Use this link to take advantage of the best possible price. No promo code is needed. You can also visit our dedicated Figo promotions page to learn more.
How Does The Claim & Reimbursement Process Work?
Figo uses both a “copay then deductible” reimbursement method and a “deductible then copay” method depending on your policy.
- Copay Then Deductible is calculated the following way:
- (Eligible vet expenses x Reimbursement percentage) – Remaining annual deductible = Reimbursement amount
- Deductible Then Copay is calculated the following way:
- Actual vet bill amount – Remaining annual deductible – Copay = Reimbursement amount
- Dog: Bowie, 7-year-old Saint Bernard mix
- Diagnosis: Torn CCL surgery
- Total Vet Cost: $4,899.17
- Total Reimbursed By Figo: $4,251.78
What Are The Most Common Claims Submitted To Figo?
- Allergies: $500-$1,000
- GI Conditions: $500-$1,000
- TPLO Surgeries: $3,000-$5,000
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding Figo pet insurance from our readers.
Does Figo Cover Heartworm?
Figo’s accident and illness pet insurance plans don’t cover heartworms because it can be prevented through medication. Heartworm preventatives are eligible for coverage through Figo’s wellness plan. However, should your dog be diagnosed with heartworms, any treatment for it will be excluded from coverage in your accident and illness policy.
What Does Figo Stand For?
We reached out to Figo, and according to them, it’s a play on the popular dog name “Fido.” An astute marketer might note the integration of the word “go” as in “move forward.”
Does Figo Cover Dental?
Figo covers non-routine dental treatment and trauma to the teeth, face, and jaw. It also covers tooth extractions due to an accident. The key to dental procedure coverage is that it must be part of a non-routine situation.
How To Cancel Figo Pet Insurance?
You may cancel your policy at any time by emailing Figo at [email protected] You can also reach them at (844) 738-3446. Any pro-rated refunds for pre-payment of your annual policy will be granted based on your policy contract conditions.
If you’d like a replacement for your Figo insurance policy, take a look at our pet insurance reviews to see which pet insurance companies we recommend.
Does Figo Have A Wellness Plan?
Figo offers two optional wellness plans in some states. It also offers a wellness plan for canines and felines as an add-on in its employee benefit plans.
Who Owns Figo Pet Insurance?
Figo Pet Insurance was acquired by JAB Holding Company on October 19, 2021. JAB Holding Company is a privately held group focusing on long-term investments in companies. The same company is a majority shareholder in PetPartners, Inc., which owns AKC Pet Insurance and PetPartners Group Pet Insurance.
Figo vs Other Companies
Interested in seeing how Figo stacks up against other popular pet insurance companies? We’ve written comparison articles for you to see how Figo and other leading pet insurance companies compare in coverage, customer service and reputation, claim processing, plan customization, and price.
Is Figo The Best Pet Insurance?
Figo is often less expensive than some pet insurance companies, and it offers comparable coverage to other top competitors. We’ve compared Figo against other top pet insurance companies and explain how they stack up in our pet insurance reviews. Check it out to see whether Figo made our top picks and which companies we feel are the best.Tagged With: Review, Reviewed By Insurance Agent