To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Figo is consistently among the middle of the pack price-wise for pet insurance providers based on reader feedback and our own test quotes. But does it offer similar coverage as some of the more costly pet insurance companies? Will Figo cover accidents and illnesses for your pet during an emergency?
Figo Pet Insurance
- Annual deductible (not per incident)
- BBB rating: B+
- Claims are typically paid within 5-7 business days
- Vet exam fee can be covered for an additional cost
- App available to support claims via iOS and Android
- 10% multi-pet discount
- Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico
- If there is a knee injury prior to enrollment or during the 6-month waiting period, Figo only covers CCL (ACL) on a second leg if the first leg remains healed for 12 months
- One-time $9 admin fee + $2/mo or $10/annual fee (waived if ACH setup w/bank)
- Underwriter: Independence American Insurance Company (IAIC)
- A.M. Best rating: A-
- The first exam after the effective policy date will be used as a baseline
- Bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body): luxating patellas, cruciate ligament tears or ruptures, cataracts, glaucoma, cherry eye, entropion, ectropion, hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia and osteochondritis dissecans
- Processes a majority of claims within 5-7 business days (closes nearly half in 24 hours), and you can submit them via app, fax, email or mail
- Direct deposit reimbursement is available
- Pet Cloud app reminds you of upcoming vet appointments, gives you popular pet places around you, 24/7 live vet video chat, file a claim, meet pets near you and more
Defined by Figo as:
Claims for Accident or Illness to the Pet(s) that occur or manifest, whether treated or not, prior to the effective date of the Policy or during the waiting period.
Customer Service Hours
- Phone, text, chat, email, fax, Facebook Messenger or Twitter: Monday – Friday 8am to 7pm CST and Saturday 8am to 6pm CST
- Text only: Sunday 11am to 3pm CST
- 14 days: Illness
- 3 days: Accidents (depending on state)
- 6 months: Cruciate ligament events, knees, Hip Dysplasia
Services included are not limited to this list and are subject to change.
|Vet exam fee (optional)||Pre-existing conditions|
|Emergency and hospitalization||Routine or preventative care|
|Surgery||Spaying or neutering|
|Hereditary and congenital conditions||Training classes and devices|
|Cancer treatment||Breeding, pregnancy or giving birth|
|Specialty care||Eating disorders|
|X-rays, MRI's, cat scans, ultrasounds, bloodwork|
|Ligament and knee conditions (after 1 year waiting period)|
|Hip dysplasia (after 1 year waiting period)|
|Prosthetic and orthotic devices|
|Physical therapy (optional)|
|Holistic and alternative therapies (optional)|
|Stem cell therapy|
|Non-routine dental (limited to being related to accidents only)|
|Costs of euthanasia|
Hip dysplasia that first shows signs/symptoms after the 14-day waiting period for illness may be eligible for coverage. Most new policies have a 1-year waiting period from the policy effective date before coverage becomes available.
Figo offers a variety of deductible options ($100, $200, $250, $500, $750, $1,000 and $1,500) as well as reimbursement selections (60%, 65%, 70%, 80%, 90% and 100%). Figo is the only provider we’ve reviewed to offer a 100% reimbursement option. Please know that all of the deductible and reimbursement options are not available in every state.
Below is a table showing examples of quotes from Figo. You can put your pet’s information directly into its site to get a better estimate for your pet (use our link below for the best discount).
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||English Cocker Spaniel||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||2 years||8 years||4 years||6 years||2 months||2 months||2 years|
(zip code: 33134)
(zip code: 60290)
(zip code: 90001)
(zip code: 10001)
(zip code: 10001)
(zip code: 60290)
(zip code: 20001)
|Price Per Month||$62.09||$68.68||$64.85||$67.06||$43.16||$29.18||$23.48|
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from reputable companies when you fill out just 1 short form. You can also visit our pet insurance quotes page to see how the cost of Figo stacks up against the competition.
- Dog: Dealer, 6-year-old Golden Retriever
- Diagnosis: Cancer – Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- Pet Parent: Mary Schuenemann, Illinois
My 6 year old Golden Retriever, Dealer, was diagnosed with a lump on his front leg in October 2018. He underwent a surgery to remove the lump. Once it was sent for further testing, it was discovered that it was Soft Tissue Sarcoma. My home vet unfortunately could not get clean lines, so I brought him to the University of Wisconsin Vet School for a second opinion. They recommended another surgery and this time all lines were clean. The best feeling ever!!! Figo paid 90% of the bill, of which, I am grateful. He is currently in remission!! Dealer is also part of the Morris’s Golden Retriever Lifetime Study. Thank you Figo for letting me give my dog the best care and helping save his life!!!
- Treatment Cost: Approximately $3,000
- Reimbursement: Approximately $2,700 (90%)
The tides have turned! Both Kodi and Kiki have now benefited from the updated Figo. The new app process of submission gives a result in about 3 days. Kiki got into some Lily plants and was rushed to the ER. She had a 48 hour stay on fluids and many tests and thankfully turned out for the best. Figo covered the entire visit. Kodi was coughing and we took him in for a checkup. After an x-ray we located fluid in his chest. It was drained and analyzed. We are still awaiting final diagnosis for cause and treatment, but Figo covered the entire visit. Very satisfied with the new Figo! Kodi and Kiki thank you! – Dan M., Yelp 11/15/2019
This is the easiest most wonderful insurance experience I have ever had. The website is super simple to use and the staff at Figo are very helpful. Figo is an honest company that really wants to help. I wish human insurance was this reliable. – Elizabeth R., TrustPilot 11/22/2019
$900 lesson learned….. I communicated through the app to cancel the pet insurance last March when I was notified of the increase, or so I thought. My fault for not checking my statements more closely — but my account was never closed and my “auto enroll increase” processed too. No claims made— paying for pet insurance — biggest waste of my money. They have no record of my request to cancel and complaints of the increase cost. – Tricia G., Yelp 12/2/2019
I paid 10K over two years to insure my 5 pets. When my Chihuahua tore her ACL, and it cost me 15K for surgeries, they categorized the tear as PREEXISTING because she had a misalignment of her knee. I guess everything is preexisting if you stretch the analysis far enough. They did the same for all of my pets. They work hard to find a way to not pay ANYTHING. Don’t waste your money. – Karena R., TrustPilot 11/17/2019
See what the key differences are between Figo and other leading pet insurance companies.
- Healthy Paws was founded in 2009 and has a well established reputation for customer service. Figo was founded in 2012 and doesn’t have the customer service reputation that Healthy Paws has.
- Healthy Paws pays 99% of its claims within 2 days, while Figo typically pays claims within 5 to 7 business days.
- Healthy Paws was more consistently among the least expensive options in quotes we ran, whereas Figo was more sporadic.
Figo is less expensive than some pet insurance companies, and it offers comparable coverage to other top pet insurance companies. We’ve compared Figo against other top pet insurance companies and ranked our top 3 in our pet insurance reviews. You can see if Figo made our top picks and which companies we feel are the best.
Would you cover your pet with Figo pet insurance?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.