Petco began offering pet insurance in 2017 and has some impressive coverage. But there are dozens of pet insurance companies to consider for insuring your pet. Is Petco worth your consideration? Learn all about Petco’s policy, pricing, waiting periods, and more.
- No lifetime or per-incident payout limits with any plan
- No upper age limits
- BBB rating: B
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 10% multi-pet discount
- Covers alternative therapies, like acupuncture
- Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the U.S., Canada, Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and other U.S. territories
- No wellness plan
- Premiums were higher than average when we ran quotes
- 14-day waiting period for accidents (some cover accidents within 2-3 days)
- If there’s a knee injury prior to enrollment or during the waiting period, they won’t cover the second leg if an injury occurs. It’s considered a bilateral condition.
We don’t include Petco (or any company with less than five years of pet insurance experience) in our annual rankings. Why? Because it takes time for providers to establish consistent pricing and customer experience. To find the best, our experts regularly analyze over a dozen established companies. Learn more in our top pet insurance reviews.
- Underwriter: United States Fire Insurance Company (administered by C&F Insurance Agency, Inc., a Crum & Forster company)
- A.M. Best rating: A
- Bilateral exclusions include ligament and knee conditions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body)
- Claims process:
- Must submit claims within 270 days via the online portal
- Direct deposit or check reimbursement is available
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Offers pre-approval of estimates/procedures in advance of treatment
Pet insurance providers don’t cover pre-existing conditions, but the specific definitions can vary by company. A pre-existing condition is defined by Petco in their policy as:
Illness, disease, injury, or change to your pet’s health that first occurs or shows symptoms before coverage is effective or during a waiting period. This includes conditions that are related to, secondary, or resultant from a pre-existing condition.
Petco covers curable pre-existing conditions after 180 days. This doesn’t apply to ligament and knee conditions.
- Phone: 833-898-7387
- Email: email@example.com
- 14 days: Illnesses
- 14 days: Accidents
- 14 days: Ligament issues (i.e., cruciates) and knee conditions
- 14 days: Hip dysplasia
The details below are for Petco’s accident and illness policy. Petco also offers an accident-only plan, which we discuss in more detail below.
Please know that none of the providers in our pet insurance comparison cover pre-existing conditions or cremation and burial costs. All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: x-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, specialized exams, surgery, hospitalization, emergency care, specialty care, hydrotherapy, chronic conditions, cancer, diagnostic treatment, alternative/holistic therapy, and euthanasia. However, there may be limitations to this coverage, so please check your policy.
|Condition||Covered By Petco|
|Exam Required To Set Health Baseline|
|Wellness Care Available For An Extra Fee|
|Non-Routine Dental Treatment|
|Breed, Whelping, Pregnancy|
|Cosmetic Procedures (e.g., Tail Docking, Ear Cropping, Dew Claw Removal) Unless Medically Necessary|
Petco’s Accident-Only plan covers items related to injuries and accidents, including:
We’ve gathered some sample prices from Petco dog insurance for its accident and illness coverage plan. You can choose deductibles of either $100, $250, or $500. You also have three reimbursement options: 70%, 80%, or 90%.
They offer annual payout limits of $5,000, $10,000, $15,000, $20,000, or unlimited, and there are no lifetime payout limits. Individual premium prices are based on age, breed, and location. Petco Insurance prices below are from July 2021.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||Golden Retriever||Mixed Breed Dog (45 lbs)||Yorkshire Terrier||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||3 Years||2 Years||5 Years||2 Months||4 Years|
|Location||Virginia (22901)||California (90210)||Indiana (46201)||Florida (33601)||Illinois (60169)|
|Annual Payout Limit||Unlimited||Unlimited||$15,000||$5,000||$10,000|
|Price Per Month||$87.76||$95.70||$49.18||$37.70||$22.27|
Typically we try to share a couple of positive reviews and complaints about a pet insurance company. However, this company is newer, so it’s difficult to find Petco pet insurance reviews from customers.
Petco’s pet health insurance has competitive coverage and a variety of policy customization options to help it best fit your budget and needs. However, Petco is fairly new to the pet insurance marketplace, so we’d like to hear more about customers’ experiences before recommending them to you.
If you’re unsure about signing up for Petco Insurance, you can consider other options. Read our best pet insurance article to learn more about our top three picks as well as the best for your specific need, including multiple pets, dental coverage, behavioral therapy, and more.
What do you find appealing about Petco’s insurance?