Wagmo started out offering stand-alone pet wellness plans to customers but recently added the option for traditional pet insurance as well. It’s one of the few companies to offer both wellness and insurance coverage for your pet. You can purchase either of these policies individually or you can add a wellness plan to their pet insurance plan for an additional fee. Wagmo pet insurance isn’t available in all 50 states yet, but it has plans to keep growing.
Find out if Wagmo prices are in line with the competition and if its coverage meets your needs.
Wagmo Pet Insurance
- Claim repayment averages 1 day for wellness and 3-5 business days for accident/illness (direct deposit, Venmo, and PayPal reimbursement), after the claim is approved
- Wellness coverage available as an add-on or on its own
- 5% multi-pet discount
- App available to support claims via iOS and Android
- No unlimited annual payout option
- Per-incident deductible and lifetime payout limits
- 15-day waiting period for accidents is longer than the competition
- Insurance is available in 40 states, not all 50
- No BBB rating
- Pets older than 15 years old are only eligible for wellness plans
- Pet isn’t covered when they travel outside of the U.S. with you
- 30-day waiting period for cancer treatment
- Hip dysplasia isn't covered for pets older than 6 years old
We don’t include Wagmo (or any company with less than five years in the pet insurance industry) in our annual rankings because it takes time for providers to establish consistent pricing and customer experience. To find the best, our experts regularly analyze over 20 established companies. Learn more about this year’s top-ranked companies.
- Underwriter: National Specialty Insurance Company
- A.M. Best rating: A
- Bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body): cruciate or soft tissue injury to knee
- Claims process:
- Submit claims via website
- Claim repayment averages 1 day for wellness claims and 3-5 business days for accident/illness claims
- Direct deposit, Venmo, and PayPal reimbursement is available
- Some of the most common claims submitted by Wagmo customers are:
- Wellness plans are available in all 50 states, but insurance is only available in 40 states. The following locations do not offer Wagmo pet insurance: AK, FL, ID, KY, LA, MN, MO, NM, RI, WA, and Washington DC
Defined by Wagmo as:
A Medical Condition that first occurred or showed Clinical Signs before the effective date of this Policy, as shown on the Declarations Page, or showed Clinical Signs during the Waiting Period.
Customer Service Hours
- Live chat, email: Monday – Friday 9am to 6pm EST and Saturday 11am to 7pm EST
- 15 days: Illnesses
- 15 days: Accidents
- 6 months: Cruciate ligament events*
- 15 days: Hip dysplasia
- 30 days: Cancer treatment
*From Wagmo’s sample policy: This exclusion does not apply if Your Pet is examined by a Vet within the first thirty (30) days of the Policy and the medical record specifically notes Your Pet does not have any Pre-existing Conditions relating to its knees.
Please know that none of the pet insurance providers in our comparison cover pre-existing conditions. All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: x-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, specialized exams, surgery, hospitalization, emergency care, specialty care, hydrotherapy, chronic conditions, cancer, diagnostic treatment, alternative/holistic therapy, and euthanasia. However, there may be limitations to this coverage, so please check your policy.
Wagmo has many exclusions listed in its policy, especially compared to other pet insurance providers. Some exclusions we see listed in its sample policy that we don’t often see listed in other policies are:
- More than two (2) anesthetic removals of an ingested foreign body in one Policy Period.
- Costs or fees for the Treatment of hip dysplasia for pets six (6) years of age and older.
- Costs or fees for Treatment of cancer.*
*Wagmo’s sample policy states “costs or fees for treatment of cancer” as an exclusion. You can purchase a Cancer Endorsement for an additional fee that cancels this exclusion and applies a 30-day waiting period for any coverage related to cancer.
|Condition||Covered By Wagmo|
|Exam Required To Set Health Baseline|
|Wellness Care Available For An Extra Fee|
|Non-Routine Dental Treatment|
|Prescription Medication||50% Only|
|Breed, Whelping, Pregnancy|
|Cosmetic Procedures |
(e.g., Tail Docking, Ear Cropping, Dew Claw Removal)
Unless Medically Necessary
Wagmo offers three wellness plans shown below in the table. Wellness plans can be purchased on their own or in conjunction with a pet insurance policy.
|Price Per Month||$20||$36||$59|
|Office Visits||1 exam||1 exam||2 exams|
|Vaccines||2 vaccines||3 vaccines||4 vaccines|
|Routine Bloodwork||1 test||1 test||1 test|
|Fecal Test||1 test||1 test||1 test|
|Urinalysis||1 test||1 test|
Wagmo offers 100% reimbursement for all plans, something only two other pet insurance companies offer (Figo and PetFirst), according to our research. Your deductible options are $500, $750, and $1,000 and annual payout options are $20,000 annually, $10,000 per-incident, and $100,000 lifetime.
Below is a table showing examples of quotes from Wagmo. You can put your pet’s information directly into its site to get a better estimate for your pet (use our link below for the best discount).
|Breed||English Cocker Spaniel||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||8 years||4 years||6 years||2 years|
(zip code: 60290)
(zip code: 90001)
(zip code: 10001)
(zip code: 10001)
|Annual Payout Limit||$20,000||$20,000||$20,000||$20,000|
|Price Per Month||$72.42||$63.66||$60.84||$35.99|
Incredible customer service, quick turnaround on claims. No tricks, no gimmicks, just a great company. – Adrienne M., Facebook 9/12/2020
I HIGHLY recommend WAGMO to any Pet Parent out there. If you’re like me, anytime your fur babies feel a little ill you want to make sure they are receiving the best preventive care but cost is always a lingering factor. With WAGMO, I don’t have to worry about hurting my pockets because they fulfilled all my claims. My fur baby was taken care of and mama was able to buy her little boy a treat! I will be renewing next year. So happy to be a part of the WAGverse! – Kayla W., Facebook 3/2/2020
My cat went to the vet for the same issues he had last year and was reimbursed. I went again this year after I renewed and my claim was denied. They lured me in again to renew then denied my claim. Deceptive company. Stay away. I will be fighting this until the end. – Angela M., Facebook 12/20/2020
deceptive business practices. Makes no sense to purchase a policy from a company who uses deceptive methods to deny legitimate claims. Horrible. – Charles B., Facebook 3/3/2020
We’ve found that Wagmo has higher prices than the industry average, and it’s not available nationwide. We like to see at least five full years of national experience before recommending a company to our readers because we’ve found that newer entrants go through many coverage and price adjustments during their first few years.
So while we don’t recommend Wagmo at this time, it could be a company we suggest in the future. If you’d like to learn about the companies we like, read our best pet insurance reviews, which in addition to our experts’ top 3 picks award winners by categories such as price/value, multiple pets, special needs, and more.
What do you like or dislike about Wagmo?