This content was reviewed by our licensed insurance agent, Michelle Schenker.
To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
The American Kennel Club (AKC) is well-known in the pet world for its expertise in breeds, health, and training for dogs. PetPartners, Inc. partnered with AKC in 2003 and administers AKC Pet Insurance.
AKC Pet Insurance offers pet insurance for individual customers and their pets, regardless of whether they are purebred or not. On the flip side, PetPartners only offers group coverage.
Find out what an AKC Pet Insurance policy covers in our review below.
AKC Pet Insurance Overall Rating
Our pet insurance experts read through each pet insurance company’s policy to provide detailed comparisons and information regarding how a provider fares against others in the industry. We also speak with customers, read online feedback, and communicate one-on-one with pet insurance companies to obtain a well-rounded, unbiased analysis of a company’s standings.
Our team rates pet insurance companies based on factors such as A.M. Best ratings (an indicator of financial stability), claim processing reputations, contract coverage, customer service, pricing, plan customizations, and more.
Pros & Cons Comparison Table
|No vet records or exam required to enroll||No illness coverage option for dogs enrolled after age 9|
|Optional wellness plan||Must purchase coverage for congenital and hereditary conditions separately if you want them covered|
|Claims are typically paid within 7 days||Exam fee coverage is available for an additional fee|
|Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the U.S. or Canada||$3-$4 monthly transaction fee (depending on the state) – highest in the pet insurance space, waived if paid annually|
|5% multi-pet discount|
|Offers coverage for pre-existing conditions after 365 days of continuous pet insurance coverage (not in FL and WA)|
Alternatives To AKC Pet Insurance
Don’t like the score you’re seeing? Our experts have analyzed over a dozen pet insurance providers. Check out our pet insurance reviews to learn more about this year’s top-ranked companies.
- Underwriter: Independence American Insurance Company
- A.M. Best rating (a measure of financial stability): A-
- Policies administered by PetPartners, Inc.
- No exam is required at enrollment
- Bilateral exclusions include cruciate ligament, lameness, and other conditions or diseases that affect both sides of the body
- Must purchase HereditaryPlus plan if you want hereditary, congenital, and chronic conditions (e.g., hip dysplasia, arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, etc.) covered. You must enroll your pet in the Heredita
- Claims process:
- Must submit claims within 180 days
- Submit claims via email, fax, mail, app, or the online customer portal
- Aims to process claims within 3-5 days, averages 3-7 days, and direct deposit and check are both options
- The Basic plan has a $500 incident limit (sadly, you never know how costly an incident may be). But it is reassuring that these incident limits are over the pet’s lifetime (not annual). When you customize a plan (the most popular plan design), you can change your incident limit (could even opt for no incident limit).
- 24/7 Vet Helpline allows pet owners to speak to a licensed vet professional
- Discounts available:
- 5% multi-pet discount
- 5% discount for dogs who pass the AKC Canine Good Citizen test
- 10% discount for puppies coming from breeders who participate in the AKC Bred with H.E.A.R.T or AKC Breeder of Merit programs
- The three most common claims paid out by AKC Pet Insurance are:
- Doesn’t offer pre-approval of estimates/procedures in advance of treatment
- Offers coverage for pre-existing conditions after 365 days of continuous pet insurance coverage. This is the only pet insurance company to offer this type of feature. FL and WA are excluded from this.
Customer Service Hours
- Phone and email
- Monday – Friday: 8:30am-8pm (EST)
- Saturday: 10am-3pm (EST)
- 14 days: Illness
- 180 days: Intervertebral Disc Disease
- 2 days: Accidents
- 180 days: Cruciate ligament events
- 30 days: Hip dysplasia (only covered if you purchase the HereditaryPlus Plan)
- 30 days: Alternative coverage (acupuncture & chiropractic; physical, hydro, and behavioral therapies)
*Waiting periods for Maine are as follows:
- Accidents - 0 days
- Illnesses - 14 days
- Cruciate Ligament Conditions - 30 days
- Routine Care - 0 days
What Does AKC Pet Insurance Cover?
Please know that none of the providers in our pet insurance comparison cover pre-existing conditions, cremation and burial costs, pregnancy and breeding, or unnecessary cosmetic procedures.
All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: emergency care, surgery and hospitalization, specialized exams and specialty care, X-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, cancer, chronic conditions, euthanasia, hereditary conditions, congenital conditions, non-routine dental treatment, and prescription medications. However, this coverage may have limitations, so please review your policy carefully.
|Condition||Covered By AKC Pet Insurance|
|Pre-Existing Conditions||After 365 days of continuous pet insurance coverage|
|Sick Exam Fees||Extra Fee|
|Wellness Care||Extra Fee|
|Non-Routine Dental Treatment|
|Hereditary Conditions||HereditaryPlus Plan|
|Congenital Conditions||HereditaryPlus Plan|
|Breed, Whelping, Pregnancy||BreedingCoverage Plan|
Routine Care Coverage
AKC Pet Insurance offers two wellness care plans shown in the table below. The maximum amounts that AKC Pet Insurance will pay for each specific routine care are included.
|Price Per Month||$16||$27|
|Heartworm Test of FELV Screen||$25||$30|
|Blood, Fecal, Parasite Exam||$50||$70|
|Urinalysis or ERD||$15||$25|
|Spay/Neuter – Teeth Cleaning||$0||$150|
|Total Annual Benefits||$305||$735|
Other Add-On Packages
Prices vary based on the pet insured.
- ExamPlus: Covers primary care vets, emergency hospitals, and specialty clinics
- HereditaryPlus: Covers heart disease, elbow dysplasia, arthritis, hip dysplasia, diabetes, luxating patella, spondylosis, eye disorders, and more
- SupportPlus: Covers cremation, burial, urns, and memorials
- BreedingCoverage: Covers accidents, illnesses, and complications related to breeding, pregnancy, whelping, or nursing (including emergency C-sections)
Is My Dog Eligible For AKC Pet Insurance?
All dog breeds are eligible for AKC Pet Insurance. However, there are some age restrictions for coverage through AKC Pet Insurance.
- Pets must be at least 8 weeks old for coverage to begin in NY, CA, FL, and WA. Coverage can begin from birth in other states.
- Pets must be younger than 5 years old to be enrolled in the SupportPlus endorsement
- Pets must be younger than 9 years old to be enrolled in accident and illness coverage
What About My AKC Registered Dog?
AKC-registered dogs are offered a 30-day free offer when they pay their AKC application fees. There is a $250 deductible during this free offer period, but no accident or illness waiting periods. However, there are waiting periods for Intervertebral Disc Disease (180 days), Pre-Existing Conditions (365 days), and Cruciate Ligament (180 days). In addition, there is a $5,000 max reimbursement during this offer period. limit per incident (and unlimited during the offer period).
How Is AKC Pet Insurance’s Pricing Determined?
AKC Pet Insurance has no one-time fees and a $3 or $4 transaction fee for every payment (waived if you pay annually). Your monthly premium is based on the deductible, reimbursement percentage, and annual payout options that you choose from the table below.
|Deductible Options||Payout Options||Reimbursement Options|
Pricing is also based on your pet’s details (age, breed, location, pre-existing conditions, etc.). We recommend obtaining quotes from AKC Pet Insurance for your specific pet to get an idea of how much a policy would cost you. You can also use our pet insurance quote form to see how top providers compare for your actual pet.
Below are two real-life pet insurance claims from AKC Pet Insurance.
Miniature Poodle, 7 Months Old
- Location: New Jersey
- Diagnosis: Gastroenteritis
- Treatment Cost: $2,618.30
- AKC Pet Insurance Reimbursed: $2,094.56
- Final Cost For Pet Parent: $523.74
Pomeranian, 1 Year Old
- Location: Virginia
- Diagnosis: Bone Fracture
- Treatment Cost: $4,419.67
- AKC Pet Insurance Reimbursed: $3,333.99
- Final Cost For Pet Parent: 1,085.68
AKC Pet Insurance Competitors
AKC Pet Insurance has some great things going for it. With a big name backing this product, customers are instantly intrigued by its offerings. However, AKC Pet Insurance requires additional fees for coverage we’ve come to expect in a standard pet insurance plan. Find out how AKC Pet Insurance compares against other top pet insurance providers in our pet insurance reviews article.Tagged With: Review, Reviewed By Insurance Agent