Just like health insurance, there are many companies and policies to choose from to insure your pet. How does Embrace stack up to its pet insurance competition? We dive deep with coverage details, actual pricing quotes, and real customer reviews.
- No per incident limits on their claims as they use an annual deductible
- No lifetime limit
- Offers optional Wellness Rewards (not available in RI; must purchase in conjunction with pet insurance)
- BBB rating is A+
- Pays claims between 8-9 days on average
- Up to a 10% max discount for multiple pets (5% in NY)
- Covers your pet if they travel outside the U.S. with you
- $1.00 monthly transaction fee and $25 enrollment fee
- Only covers enrolled pets age 14 and younger for accidents and illnesses (accident only may be available for ages 15+)
- If one leg has a CCL (ACL) injury prior to enrollment, the other leg will not be covered even if there are no prior issues; it's considered a pre-existing condition
- New customer must call to access unlimited claim option
While Embrace has a lot to offer, it didn’t make it into our top three picks for best pet insurance providers. Our experts have analyzed over a dozen pet insurance providers. Check out our pet insurance reviews to learn more about this year’s top-ranked companies.
- Underwriter: American Modern Property and Casualty Insurance Group
- A.M. Best rating: A+ (Munich Reinsurance, Inc., which owns American Modern Property and Casualty Insurance Group)
- Medical history review: Embrace offers a Medical History Review during enrollment. Essentially, this is a full insurance assessment of health history so you can feel confident in your pet’s coverage, limiting coverage uncertainty.
- Bilateral condition (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body): If your pet has a pre-existing bilateral condition (e.g., ACL tear), they’re at a higher risk of the same situation on the other side of the body, and future occurrences of the same condition won’t be covered.
- Claims process:
- Must submit accident and illness claims within 60 days of renewal to the next term (no deadline for wellness claims)
- Fax, email, upload to MyEmbrace, use the app (Android | iOS), or mail in your claim forms and get paid via check or direct deposit
- Claim repayment averages 8-9 days for accident and illness and 5 days for wellness
- 30-day free look period (similar to a money-back guarantee)
- Allstate, American Family, Geico, and USAA sell Embrace
- Healthy Pet Deductible: Your pet’s annual deductible goes down $50 each year you don’t receive an accident or illness claim reimbursement. This is the best “diminishing deductible” feature in the pet insurance industry since it can bring your deductible down to $0. This feature is the reason Embrace was awarded the best for healthy pet discount award in our best pet insurance article.
- 24/7 PawSupport Pet Health Line allows you to speak with a pet professional day or night via live chat, video, and phone
- Other discounts available: 5% military discount (not available in NY and TN), 10% multiple pet discount, and 15% USAA discount available in most states
- The three most common claims paid out by Embrace Pet Insurance are:
- Offers pre-approval of estimates/procedures in advance of treatment
- Pets enrolled after their 15th birthday are solely eligible for the accident-only policy
- Among our top picks for best pet dental insurance
Embrace requires a vet exam within the last 12 months before the policy start date or 14 days after the start date.
Defined by Embrace as:
a. Chronic Condition observed by you or your Veterinary Provider prior to the end of the Waiting Period for your Pet(s) and any related conditions; or
b. An Illness or Injury that first occurred or showed Clinical Signs prior to the end of the Waiting Period for your Pet and any related conditions.
Undiagnosed conditions with the same Clinical Signs as those in a. or b. above are also considered pre-existing.
Customer Service Hours
- Email and phone: Monday – Friday 8:30am – 8pm ET and Saturday 9am – 1pm ET
- 14 days: Illnesses
- 2 days: Accidents
- 6 months (or 14 days with an orthopedic report card* submitted; not applicable to cats): Orthopedic conditions in dogs (including cruciate ligament events)
*An orthopedic report card is a veterinary exam and waiver process designed to assess any bone or muscle deformities in your dog. To reduce the six-month waiting period for orthopedic conditions, take your dog to the vet and have an orthopedic exam conducted after your policy is purchased. Your vet will record any health findings for your dog’s hips, legs, shoulders, forelimbs, spine, joints, and bones. You can learn more about Embrace’s orthopedic exam and waiver process for dogs.
If you’re unfamiliar with cruciate ligament tears and what they can entail, watch Heidi’s story below.
Services included are not limited to this list and are subject to change.
|Covered by Embrace||Not Covered by Embrace|
|Breed-specific and genetic conditions||Avian flu or nuclear war|
|Congenital conditions||Pre-existing conditions|
|Chronic conditions||Breeding, whelping, and pregnancy|
|Cancer||Injury caused deliberately by you or any other person residing in your home|
|Exam fees||Injury or illness resulting from fighting, racing, cruelty, or neglect|
|Alternative therapies and rehabilitation||Cosmetic procedures such as tail docking, ear cropping, or dew claw removal unless medically necessary|
|Behavioral therapy||DNA testing or cloning|
|ER and specialist care||Stem cell therapy not deemed medically necessary|
|Hospitalization and surgery|
|Prosthetic limbs and devices including mobility aids|
|Dental illness up to $1,000/year|
A bilateral hip replacement for your dog could cost $7,000 to $12,000 for surgery alone. For other types of surgeries, $1,500 to $3,000 per hip is the average. Aside from surgery, your dog will need pain medication for life and possibly supplements, which can add up in costs.
Fortunately, Embrace provides coverage if your dog develops hip dysplasia, as long as the six-month waiting period is over. The waiting period is lowered to 14 days if an orthopedic report card is filled out.
Embrace offers the following options for your pet insurance plan.
- Annual maximum: $5,000, $8,000, $10,000, $15,000, or $30,000 (unlimited is available via phone)
- Annual deductible: $200, $300, $500, $750, or $1,000
- Reimbursement: 70%, 80%, or 90%
The cost of each policy is unique to your pet and depends on many variables, including your pet’s age, breed, location, health conditions, and more. To give you a general idea, we gathered the following sample quotes in December 2020 (these don’t include Wellness Rewards).
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||Golden Retriever||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||2 years||8 years||4 years||6 years||4 months||7 months||2 years|
|Location||Iowa (zip code 50125)||Illinois (zip code 60631)||California (zip code 92027)||New York (zip code 10012)||New York (zip code 10012)||Iowa (zip code 50125)||Ohio (zip code 44108)|
|Price Per Month||$48.10||$64.86||$46.17||$80.60||$71.55||$14.77||$22.77|
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from some of the best companies when you fill out just one short form. Also, visit our pet insurance quotes page to see how the cost of Embrace stacks up against the competition.
Embrace Wellness Plans & Pricing
Embrace also offers an optional Wellness Rewards* program for an additional fee. Embrace will reimburse 100% of your pet’s routine care costs up to the selected amount of coverage you choose. You can select from the following amounts per year, which also lists their monthly cost:
- $250 Wellness Rewards per year: an additional $18.75 per month
- $450 Wellness Rewards per year: an additional $35.42 per month
- $650 Wellness Rewards per year: an additional $52.09 per month
This money can go toward the following but not limited to:
- Spay/neuter surgery
- Flea, tick, and heartworm preventative
- Vaccinations and titers (amount of antibodies in blood)
- Wellness exams
- Routine blood and fecal parasite exams
- Microchip implant and registration
- Prescription diet food
- Teeth cleaning
- Nutritional supplements
- Medicated shampoos
- Behavioral training
*Not available in RI.
- If you have multiple pets, each one gets 10% off (5% in NY).
- Pay annually and get 5% off in NY.
- USAA customers are eligible for a discount of up to 15% off.
- Dog: Mila, 6-month-old Husky
- Accident: Jumped out of the car window while moving
Mila jumped out of the car window when the car was going five mph and was taken to the emergency room immediately. X-rays showed that she broke her pelvis in six different locations. They were not sure they could repair her pelvis, so they ordered a CT scan.
Nici, Mila’s pet parent, told them to do whatever they needed because she had pet insurance. Nici’s Embrace plan had a $500 deductible and an 80% reimbursement. After a five-hour surgery, eight weeks of restricted activity, and 12 weeks of massage, laser, and hydrotherapy, she is fully recovered and back to her crazy puppy self.
- Treatment Cost: $7,748.04
- Embrace Reimbursed: $5,798.43
- Final Cost For Pet Parents: $1,949.61 ($500 deductible and $1,449.61 copay)
Embrace uses a “deductible then copay” reimbursement method. This is calculated in the following way:
- Actual vet bill amount – Remaining annual deductible – Copay = Reimbursement amount
So in the example above, the reimbursement is calculated the following way:
- $7,748.04 (vet bill) – $500 (remaining deductible) – $1,449.61 (copay) = $5,798.43 (reimbursed amount)
Read about how Embrace has treated these real-life customers. We’ve got good and bad feedback to share with you.
Embrace is the best pet insurance we’ve ever found. Our plan pays 80% after we meet our deductible and we have never been denied a claim. And they pay 80% of the price we have paid, not just what they “allow”. I love that you can submit your own claim via their app with just a snapshot of your claim form and the receipt from the vet. They take it from there, never asking for any clarification from us. If they need any additional info, they contact the vet. All we have to do is wait a week or two and the check is in our mailbox. Love, love, love Embrace! – Ari R., Yelp 12/9/2020
Fantastic service and very quick processing of claims! Love being able to submit claims using phone app. – Vladimir K., Trustpilot 12/10/2020
Annual premium increases of 30% annually with no claims made. Imagine what you’ll be paying after 5-10 years. I just got a quote from them as a ‘new’ customer and found out they are charging me TWICE what they’d charge someone new coming in, and they can’t say why other than the annual premium increases or claims (there were no claims made until recently, and my fees were already this high). Avoid them. You might like them now but look at what your premiums would be after years of having your dog. – Michael M., Yelp 12/7/2020
I have sent in multiple claims on several of my dogs. You never pay promptly and always ask for the same thing previous medical history even though you hit it in the 1st claim I filed. I am considering changing insurance companies. – Lisa M., Trustpilot 12/2/2020
See what the key differences are between Embrace and other leading pet insurance companies.
- All Healthy Paws plans include unlimited claim limits. The maximum claim limit you can get online from Embrace is $30,000; you must call in for unlimited claim limits.
- Healthy Paws averages a 2-day claim repayment, while Embrace averages 8-9 days for accidents and illnesses and 5 days for wellness.
- Embrace has a 2-day waiting period for accidents, while Healthy Paws has a 15-day waiting period for accidents.
- Embrace has shorter waiting periods than Trupanion for illnesses and accidents, but Trupanion has shorter waiting periods for hip dysplasia and ACL surgery.
- Embrace offers $5,000 to unlimited claim limits, while Trupanion only offers unlimited.
- Trupanion’s underwriter is unrated, while Embrace’s has an A+ rating from A.M. Best.
Embrace has an overall positive reputation and fantastic customer support options, but its waiting periods for coverage are more restrictive than other companies. Monthly premiums vary widely, so we recommend getting an individual quote for your pet.
Doing your research before buying a pet insurance plan is not only smart, but it also demonstrates your love and responsibility as a pet parent. We invite you to read through our best pet insurance article, so you feel 100% positive about making the best decision for your furry friend.
What questions do you have about pet insurance before you buy?
Disclaimer: Pet health insurance is administered by Embrace Pet Insurance Agency, LLC and underwritten by one of the licensed insurers of American Modern Insurance Group, Inc., including American Modern Home Insurance Company d/b/a in CA as American Modern Insurance Company (Lic. No 2222-8), and American Southern Home Insurance Company. Coverage is subject to policy terms, conditions, limitations, exclusions, underwriting review, and approval, and may not be available for all risks or in all states. Rates and discounts vary, are determined by many factors, and are subject to change. Wellness Rewards is offered as a supplementary, non-insurance benefit administered by Embrace Pet Insurance Agency in the United States. © 2020 American Modern Insurance Group, Inc. + Wellness Rewards not available in Rhode Island.