How Much Food Should I Feed My Puppy?

Dog eating: How Much Food Should I Feed My Puppy?There are many elements to keeping your dog healthy. These include giving him enough exercise, playtime and, of course, food. But do you know how much to feed puppy?

In this article, we’re going to discuss what puppy’s diet should consist of, how often you should feed them and the proper amount of food you should be feeding your dog. We’re sure our puppy feeding guide will help you provide the proper diet for your pup!

Article Overview

What Can Puppies Eat?

Get 4 Free Pet Insurance Quotes

Here’s a quick timeline of a puppy’s nutrition in the first few months of their life.

• Weeks 6-8: They should be with his mother and nurse as he or she pleases. The mother’s milk provides the nutrients necessary to protect the puppy from diseases. During this time, you don’t need to worry as much about how much to feed puppy because their mother is the one feeding them.
  • Week 8-11 (and beyond): You should start to wean them off their mother’s milk — this will take two to three weeks. To do this, select a brand of puppy food — consider asking your vet for any recommendations. Blend the dog food with milk replacer and offer it to the puppy three to four times a day. Gradually reduce the amount of milk replacer until you’re only giving them dog food.

Read Reviews Of The Best Puppy Foods

Can Puppies Eat Adult Dog Food?

Bowl of puppy food: What is the Best Puppy Food?Puppies and adult dogs have different nutrient needs. To help puppies grow into adult dogs, they require more protein, micronutrients and carbs.  Puppies also require a high amount of calories to help them grow, so it’s important to purchase a high-quality brand of food for your puppy.

A puppy’s mouth is smaller than an adult’s, which helps explain why their food is smaller too.

Feeding puppies adult dog food can be dangerous because the kibbles are larger and the texture is harder. If you give a puppy adult dog food, it can cause damage to their teeth, jaws and overall health.

But, if you are looking for high-quality, human-grade food for your little friend, perhaps you could try The Farmer’s Dog, our top-pick for fresh meals. It is a healthy solution for dogs of all ages.

Puppy Feeding Chart

Most dog food bags have a dog feeding chart on the label, similar to the one below. Be sure to check your dog’s bag of food for a label like this, so you know how much to feed him. These amounts are meant to be fed to your dog over a 24 hour period unless otherwise stated.

Weight of DogAmount of Food Per Day
5 pounds1/2 cup to 5/8 cup
10 pounds3/4 cup to 1 cup
20 pounds1 1/4 cups to 1 3/4 cups
40 pounds2 1/4 cups to 3 cups
60 pounds3 cups to 4 cups
80 pounds3 2/3 cups to 5 cups
100 pounds4 1/4 cups to 6 cups

And here’s a handy graphic you can reference as well for dogs of all ages and sizes.

Puppy Feeding Chart: How much to Feed Puppy?

Source: Canine Journal

To share this infographic on your site, simply copy and paste the code below:

How Often Should You Feed A Puppy?

You just got your puppy, and now you’re asking yourself, “How often should I feed my puppy?” Everyone asks themselves this question, and you’re not alone. Setting a routine for your puppy feeding schedule is important so he can learn when to expect his food.

Puppies sometimes need three or more feedings a day. So, according to the chart on your puppy’s bag of food, you’ll want to divide that by three or more and give it to them throughout the day.

A common feeding schedule for puppies is 7 am, noon and 5 pm. If you decide to do more feedings than three, you can adjust the times for the puppy eating schedule as needed.

Puppy next to food bowl (caption: When To Switch A Puppy To Adult Food)One thing to keep in mind though is to keep that last feeding around the 5 o’clock mark. That way your pup has ample time to digest the food and eliminate one last time before he or she goes to sleep for the night.

As your dog gets older, you can reduce the number of feedings. Most adult dogs eat two meals per day. You’ll want to divide their food requirement by two.

Transitioning Your Dog’s Food

The importance of planning and allowing for a transitional process when changing dog food is often overlooked. Imagine eating the same meals every day. Then, suddenly, you change to something completely different. You’ll probably experience a tummy ache or some gastrointestinal problems.

The same thing goes for your dog. Remember that it’s a process that should take a minimum of six days and sometimes even more time to adjust.

A Healthy Dog Is A Happy Dog

And just remember, having a dog who has their dietary needs met will be happier and healthier as a result. Not eating enough can lead to malnutrition and overeating makes your pup obese (read our tips to help your dog lose weight).

Are you looking for more dog food articles? We’ve got plenty of resources on various dog diets and nutrition including homemade dog food recipes and what to do if you run out of dog food. We also have a guide about when you should switch your dog from puppy to adult food.

Have additional questions or issues with your dog? Ask us if you need help. We’d love to help your family transition and aid with any adjustments as needed.

Tell us about your pup! How much and how often is your dog eating?

Kimberly received her Bachelor of Arts in multimedia journalism from Simpson College. She has been writing about dogs since 2014, covering subjects such as dog insurance, training, health, accessories, and more. Her work has appeared in many notable brands, including The New York Times' Wirecutter, Reader's Digest, Forbes, People, Woman's World, and Huffington Post.

Kimberly's natural curiosity helps her research as she seeks the truth when learning about, comparing, and personally testing canine products and services. With every piece she writes, her goal is to help our readers find the best fit for their unique needs. Kimberly grew up in a family that loved Labrador Retrievers and remembers running and playing in the yard with them as a child.

In 2017, she and her husband adopted their Coonhound mix, Sally, from a local shelter. Kimberly’s research was put to good use since Sally faced some aggression issues with other dogs and needed some training to be an inside dog. She worked daily with Sally and sought help from professionals to help Sally become the happy pup she is today. One of Kimberly’s favorite pastimes is spoiling Sally with new toys, comfy beds, and yummy treats (she even makes homemade goodies for her). She tries to purchase the safest products for Sally and knows that each canine has their own specific likes and dislikes. Kimberly is passionate about dogs and knows the bond between humans and canines is like no other.

Paul
September 14, 2020 4:09 pm

Hello,

I have a 6-month-old Great Pyrenees and we think he is mixed with an Australian Shepherd. I’ve been feeding him about 3 cups per day. He weighs 50 lbs. Am I feeding him enough?

September 15, 2020 10:37 am
Reply to  Paul

It sounds on par with most brand recommendations. If you have further questions, you can always check your dog food bag for a feeding chart.

Pat scales
September 9, 2020 12:57 pm

You always use cups to measure food. How much is a cup in grams?

September 9, 2020 1:47 pm
Reply to  Pat scales

Approximately 224 grams per cup. This is based on an ounce equaling 28 grams and there are 8 ounces in a cup. I hope that helps!

Kass
September 2, 2020 5:24 pm

“Cups” is a frustratingly unhelpful measurement that is used everywhere for dog food. I don’t get it! How many CALORIES should be the consideration. Calories per cup vary across different types of food.

September 3, 2020 2:06 pm
Reply to  Kass

It’s an understandable frustration and confusion as each dog has different needs per his health, his activity level, and his breed. Most dog food brands will have their own recommendations per age and/or weight of the dog on their bag. Also, you can always speak to your vet about food and caloric recommendations.

sabrina
September 1, 2020 8:07 pm

Hello!

I have a husky/German Shepherd mix turning 1 in a few days. The vet told us to slow down her eating because she weighed 57 pounds. She refused to just eat kibble so we added some protein with it (boiled chicken, ground turkey).
We started feeding her only 2 meals now.

How many cups should I feed her? and how often should I feed her?

September 2, 2020 12:38 pm
Reply to  sabrina

At 1 year, it is normally recommended to feed her twice per day (typically recommended at around 7 AM and 5 PM). According to our chart, we would recommend feeding your pup around 3 cups per day, divided into 1.5 cups at each meal. If you are feeding the protein as well, then that will be included in the 1.5 cups.

Maria
August 23, 2020 9:03 am

Hello! I have a 2-month-old Labrador retriever and I feed her around 1/2 a cup every few hours she weighs around 9 pounds. How often should I feed her and am I feeding her the right amount? Please let me know how often I should feed her so I can start a schedule with her since I just got her 2 days ago. Thank you.

August 24, 2020 9:36 am
Reply to  Maria

For around 8 weeks, your pup should eat around 4 meals per day. At three to four months, decrease to three meals per day. Monitor your puppy’s eating behaviors to see how much she is eating. Is she skipping meals or not eating all of her food in one sitting? At six months, decrease to two meals from then on. In terms of quantity, you can look at the recommended amount on your food bag due to the nutrition value. Also, you can monitor her food behaviors with this as well. It isn’t recommended to just leave the food bowl down for puppies as they will keep eating until there is no food left even if they are not hungry. So, giving her food for 10 minutes and then if she hasn’t finished it, remove it. I hope this helps!

Manickavasagam
August 13, 2020 10:26 am

Feeding is often mentioned in CUPS but how much is a cup….what measure? Can someone please tell me?

August 14, 2020 3:56 pm
Reply to  Manickavasagam

A cup is equal to 240ml in the metric system. I hope this helps.

Ruby Asare
August 8, 2020 3:52 pm

Please, I just got Maltese puppy who is 7 weeks and weighs 2-3 pounds. How much per day should it be fed, and how many times should it be also fed? How much per serving should it be fed too?

August 10, 2020 4:09 pm
Reply to  Ruby Asare

Typically, it is recommended that puppies at 7 weeks are fed by their mother still. I would speak to your vet regarding a milk replacement as 7 weeks is not recommended for regular puppy food.

Laura Brandle
July 31, 2020 1:12 pm

I have a 10 month old OEB we fed her hills science diet how much should I feed her a day we were feeding her 2&1/2 cups twice a day but now she really won’t eat in the morning

August 3, 2020 8:56 am
Reply to  Laura Brandle

How much does your dog weigh?

David
June 19, 2020 4:37 am

My dog is a Siberian husky. He is 7 months old. I feed him Pedigree every 4 hours a day. Is that too much?

June 19, 2020 4:21 pm
Reply to  David

Typically, feeding puppies goes down to three meals per day at three to six months of age and then to two meals per day at six to twelve months of age.

Barbra Gradozzi
June 7, 2020 6:03 pm

Toy Schnauzer He’s going to be 6 months around 9 pds, I was feeding him 1/3 of a cup 3 times a day . Is that too much?

June 15, 2020 2:40 pm

According to the chart, your dog should be fed 3/4 to one cup per day. Right now, it sounds like you are feeding him the correct amount. I would recommend consulting his dog food in case there are other recommendations due to the brand.

Elizabeth Hammond
April 21, 2020 11:41 am

I have never had a dog, always cats. BUT, this past weekend, I took into my home a rescued 8 week old puppy that my girlfriend rescued from the side of the road. I took him to my vet the next day, and he got all his shots, de-worming (and he was LOADED with worms!), and was declared otherwise healthy for his weight and size. I have named him Baby. He has been with me for three weeks now, is very intelligent, just absolutely gorgeous, blond with blackish streaks through his thick fur, already peepee trained. and thanks to your site, I have been doing the proper thing regarding his feeding and what to eat. He is absolutely beautiful.

Gab
March 18, 2020 11:48 pm

hey I have a 2 months old shih tzu, how many cups should I feed him 3 times a day. I’m currently feeding him 3/4 cups a day.

March 19, 2020 7:28 pm
Reply to  Gab

Hi, we recommend consulting the chart with your dog’s weight. If you have any further questions, we would recommend talking with your vet about his diet.

Felicia
March 15, 2020 11:42 pm

I just had a 4 month old puppy shipped from Ukraine. When I asked the woman about what she was feeding him, I did not expect the answers I got. He has ALWAYS been fed this way and I am a little concerned because I cannot feed him exactly like this and I don’t think I want to. Raw chicken with the bone smashed with a hammer or cleaver (not bones from the leg or wing), uncooked lamb bone, cows stomachs- the translation was difficult but she also used the word scar when describing this to me (20% servings) . Lamb, beef rice or buckwheat. grated vegetables. some kibble but only 50g per day. She sent him with 150g of meat due to a 12hr flight (poor baby) but I cannot compensate for this diet!!! I have looked up many recipies and ways to prep food but I am concerned about this transition. Understanding that this is not a veterinary clinic but hoping someone will know something about this diet and maybe has transtioned a pup to a less extreame form of it??? any help would be great

March 16, 2020 9:45 am
Reply to  Felicia

I would recommend speaking with your puppy’s vet regarding his diet and a healthy transition from his previous diet to his new one.

Kathy Fetterly
May 9, 2020 6:59 pm

Is you pup a French bulldog? I just got 2 on May 5 from Ukraine and I just started them on Purina one puppy.

Emma
February 29, 2020 10:23 pm

I have a 9 lb yorkie puppy i feed him 3 times a day 1 cup each time is that to much

Angie
August 5, 2020 11:22 pm
Reply to  Emma

That is way too much!

March 2, 2020 9:45 am
Reply to  Emma

Hi Emma, please consult the above chart and if you have any further questions we recommend you contacting your vet.

Becki
February 16, 2020 11:28 pm

I have an 8 week old puppy that weighs 1.15 pound. How much should I feed her?

Denise
January 25, 2020 2:00 am

Free mini coarse?! Try free mini mini mini mini tips.

David Callaway
January 11, 2020 3:58 pm

Our pups are 10 weeks old. Due to work we can only feed twice a day. We half the recommended amount and give once in the morning and evening.

Bobbi
January 6, 2020 11:09 pm

7 month old Astonia Shepherd 71 lbs. How much do I feed her

odette grimes
November 16, 2019 8:32 am

4 week old welsh terrier puppy weighing abt 2lbs 3 oz right on low end of target. What is a good weaning diet and how much. Still on mother’s milk, mostly. As long as possible. He is not keen on baby pablum. I mixed that with goat’s milk and colostrum. Had one live healthy pup.

Skye
November 5, 2019 6:36 pm

I have an 8 months old blue heeler pit mix I give her about 2 cups twice a day is that enough why does it seem like I never feed her

Rosana Nesheim
March 31, 2020 12:10 pm
Reply to  Skye

Our 6-month old german shepherd/pitbull mix (40lbs) gets 1.5 cups per day with about 0.25 cup of homemade bone broth twice a day, and she’s the same. You’d think we’ve never fed her with the way she scarfs it all up within a couple of minutes.

Deidre
November 20, 2019 11:30 pm
Reply to  Skye

I have a 9 month German Shepherd, Labrador Retriever, Cane Corso, Pressa Canario, Pitbull mix… She gets 2 cups kibble, a raw egg, and some pureed pumpkin a day. The 2 cups is what her real owner wants her to eat, the pumpkin and egg are what a veterinarian has advised with all of my dogs… I am guessing that pups this age are bottomless pits?

Ann
November 4, 2019 8:18 am

I have a daschund and shiztui mix 1lb
How much should I be feeding her
The vet said just leave it out for her, but she eliminates waste 20 times a day
Think she is over eating

Maria
March 7, 2020 11:13 am
Reply to  Ann

Never met a vet that recommends that.. Puppies are bottomless pits, they will eat all day of they can.. Would definitely recommend to change your vet.

Andrea
October 23, 2019 10:30 pm

Hello! I have 2 silver labs one is 4 months and the other is 5 months. Their weigh is 41 and 45 pounds. We are feeding them 4 and 4 1/2 cups daily. I’m not sure if that is ok. We are doing what the vet told us to do 1 Oz of food per 1 pound in each dog but I’m not sure when we what to change their routine.

Danelle wiggins
October 19, 2019 9:27 am

I have an 8 month old lab she eats twice a day i feed her 2 cups per feeding but she acts like shes still hungry

Eunice Scott
October 17, 2019 12:39 pm

I have a 4 month old Shop-a-doodle that weights 18.8 pounds. She eats 2 1/2 cups of dry food a day in 3 feedings with a tablespoon or two of wet food mixed in. She will still eat any treats we give her. Most charts say we are over feeding her, but the vet says we are doing fine. What is your opinion?

Jared Torrico
November 16, 2019 5:41 pm
Reply to  Eunice Scott

I have a miniature sheep a doodle about the same age and 4lbs less. We are at 1 1/2 cups in 3 feedings, but these dogs will never be full.I go a little bit over what is recommended, but if you let them eat more they dont know when to stop so be careful with that, they will eat until they throw up if you let them.

Mary
October 23, 2019 4:19 pm
Reply to  Eunice Scott

do puppies with lots energy become more irritable when hungry

(Admin)
Michelle Schenker
October 18, 2019 12:33 pm
Reply to  Eunice Scott

We suggest that you ask another vet if you want a second opinion. While we adore dogs and do a lot of research to help our readers live better, healthier lives with their pets, we are not trained nutritionists nor vets.

AnMarie
October 2, 2019 6:16 pm

I have a 4 and 1/2 month old german shepherd/siberian husky mix. I feed her Pure Balance Lamb & Fava Bean because it’s one of the few healthier dog foods that doesn’t mess with her digestive system. She is probably around 25-30 lbs, but her ribs pop out and she looks skinny. I feed her 3 cups a day, one cup per 3 meals, and I feel like I should be feeding her more because she doesn’t look like shes a healthy weight. She doesn’t have worms or anything, she’s healthy. And whenever she eats, she eats so fast like she’s starving. Does anyone have any suggestions on how many cups of that food brand I should give her per day? She’s a very energetic puppy and she gets daily exercise.

Louise Mooney
May 9, 2020 12:17 pm
Reply to  AnMarie

I have a lab puppy that is six and half months.He looks great but slim his coat is shiny and seems healthy and happy.Im feeding him puppy kibble in the morning 2cups plus half cup rice and tablespoon of pumpkin in the evening he’s getting cooked chicken one cup the same amt rice and pumpkin.
I’m not sure if this is enough chicken?
Thanks louise

Susan clark
April 20, 2020 7:24 am
Reply to  AnMarie

She’s needs 4 cups

raz
November 6, 2019 12:28 am
Reply to  AnMarie

I have german shepherd with same problem, feed him twice a day Taste of the wild brand or whatever you like,no grain.2 cups in the morning 2 cups @ the dinner .Good luck

Beck
February 22, 2020 1:25 am
Reply to  raz

I started feeding our puppy taste of the wild puppy food and our vet said it wasn’t good to feed him grain free. I would check with your vet for an opinion on grain free food.

Brian Raschke
December 1, 2019 6:00 pm
Reply to  raz

After doing a lot of research. Grain free dog food is not that great for dogs. Google dog food advisor. It will give you the rating of the dog food and also the good and the bad about grain free dog food. This site is an excellent place to get information on all dog food and their ratings etc.

Eunice Scott
October 17, 2019 12:45 pm
Reply to  AnMarie

Sound a lot like our Shep-a-Doodle who is 4 months, 18.8 pounds. Our vet says we are doing fine feeding her 2 1/2 -3 cups dry, 2 tablespoons(per feeding) wet per day in 3 feedings. High energy, always acts hungry. Vet says it would be tempting to overfeed her because of this, but it could cause to quick of growth and health issues. But always best to check with your vet.