To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Petplan is among the most reputable pet insurance companies due to its outstanding customer service and excellent coverage. However, competitors have stepped up in recent years, offering more coverage for less money.
Why do we think Petplan still deserves your consideration as a pet insurance provider? Read our review to see why you might choose Petplan, especially if you’re signing up as a new customer or adding a new pet.
- There is a 5% discount for users purchasing their insurance plan online
- Covers advertising lost pets, losing your pet, cancelled vacation due to pet illness, etc.
- No lifetime or per condition claims limit
- BBB rating: A+ (under its incorporated name, Fetch, Inc.)
- Claims are typically paid within 5-7 days although it allows up to 30 days
- App available to support claims via iOS and Android
- Covers the exam fees for sick visits ($50-$250 on average)
- No claims credit (2% discount for each consecutive 12-month policy period without a claim, up to 10% max discount)
- Complaints from existing customers of premium increases being drastically higher than competitors
- In order for coverage to apply you must take your dog to the vet within 48 hours of noticing symptoms of an illness or injury
- A number of policyholders complain that Petplan delays payment on claims (often due to a short upfront waiting period as a new customer) and requires an invoice from your vet
- Dogs must have annual health and dental check-ups in order for coverage to apply. Failure to do so may mean your dog won’t get insurance coverage until that checkup is done.
- Only covers CCL (ACL) on a second leg if the first leg remains healed for 12 months (if your pet received treatment for a cruciate or soft tissue injury to one knee before policy inception, then the other knee is automatically excluded)
- Customers state (and our sample quotes show) it is more expensive than Healthy Paws for unlimited annual claims
- No wellness plan
- $3 credit card processing fee for monthly and quarterly payments
- Underwriter: XL Specialty Insurance Company (XL Catlin)
- A.M. Best rating: A
- Requires vet exams to establish your pet’s baseline of health
- Must occur within 60 days before or 30 days after enrollment for any age animal
- If your pet hasn’t had a vet exam within 60 days prior to the policy’s effective date, any medical condition(s) observed or recorded during the next vet exam will be excluded from coverage
- Pets older than 6 must visit the vet within 1 month of the policy’s effective date to establish a baseline of health
- 6-month waiting period for cruciate ligaments and patellas can be waived if a vet examines your pet within 30 days of policy issuance and the vet notes explicitly that there’s no indication of any knee problems:
- From Petplan policy: If your pet has received treatment for a cruciate or soft tissue injury to one knee during the first six (6) months of the policy (where no certification of knee health has been provided as described in Section V.g.) then the other knee is automatically excluded from coverage for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of last treatment to the affected knee.
- Pre-existing conditions defined by Petplan: A medical condition which first occurred or showed clinical sign(s) before the effective date of this policy or which occurred or showed clinical sign(s) during the policy waiting period.
- Offers a bilateral exclusion (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body) for injuries/conditions of cruciate ligaments, if one side were pre-existing the policy would exclude the other if injured
- Must submit claims within 90 days following treatment via the mobile app, fax, email or mail
- PetVetDirect reimburses the veterinarian directly
- Claim repayment may take up to 30 days but are typically paid within 5 to 7 days for complete claims submitted via the app or online
- 30-day free look period (similar to a money-back guarantee)
- No claims credit: For each consecutive 12-month policy period that a pet has gone without a paid claim, a 2% credit is awarded at renewal (up to a max of 10%)
- Petplan covers curable pre-existing conditions after 365 days
- From Petplan policy: Any such curable medical condition that does not reoccur within the first curable exclusionary period will be coverable provided an annual exam is conducted by a veterinarian dated after the curable exclusionary period and before the first reoccurrence of such curable medical condition.
- Policies of $15,000 annual limit or more offer additional coverages:
- The cost of advertising and paying a reward for a stolen or lost pet
- The reasonable cost of boarding your pet at a licensed kennel or cattery while you’re in the hospital as a result of your own sickness, disease or bodily injury
- Reimbursement for the price you paid for your pet if your pet is stolen or goes missing during the policy period and is not found
- Reimbursement for the price you paid for your pet if your pet dies or has to be put to sleep by a vet during the policy period, as a result of injury or illness
- Reimbursement for any travel and accommodation costs you cannot recover, if you have to cancel or cut short a vacation during the policy period because your pet is injured or shows the first clinical sign(s) of an illness while you are away or up to 7 days before you leave, and as a result requires immediate lifesaving vet treatment
- Customer service hours:
- Email, live chat and phone: 24/7
Here’s a list of services that Petplan does and does not cover as of December 2018.
|Covered by Petplan||Not Covered by Petplan|
|Injuries & accidents||Wellness & routine care|
|Non-routine veterinary exam fees & sick visits, including specialists and emergency care||Prophylactic teeth cleaning|
|Dental coverage for oral disease and injuries – including periodontal disease, extractions and advanced treatments such as root canal therapy||Non-curable pre-existing conditions|
|Behavioral treatment – including anxiety disorders such as travel and separation anxiety||Elective treatments e.g., tail docking, ear cropping (not recommended by a veterinarian to treat or diagnose an injury or illness)|
|Hereditary and chronic conditions|
|Imaging (Xray, MRI, CAT scan, ultrasound)|
|Surgery & rehab|
|Alternative, holistic and homeopathic treatments|
|Curable pre-existing conditions|
Petplan covers hereditary conditions, such as hip dysplasia, as long as there were no signs or symptoms before the policy or during the required 15-day waiting period.
Petplan has annual coverage limits of $2,500, $5,000, $10,000, $15,000, $20,000, $25,000 or unlimited. The lower the limit you select, the lower your monthly premium will be. However, we always recommend getting unlimited or the highest level possible within your budget because you never know what illnesses or injuries your pet may experience in one year.
Petplan offers $250 to $1,000 annual deductibles and 70%, 80% and 90% reimbursements. The higher your deductible and the lower your reimbursement, the lower your monthly premium will be. There may be more options available based on your unique circumstances so be sure to reach out to Petplan by phone at 800-237-1123 to explore possible customized plan options.
The cost of each policy is unique to your pet and depends on many variables, including your pet’s age, breed, location, health conditions and more. Below are some sample quotes we’ve obtained from Petplan. Quotes are from December 2018.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||English Cocker Spaniel||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Yorkshire Terrier||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||2 years||8 years||4 years||6 years||2 months||2 months||2 years|
(zip code: 33134)
(zip code: 60290)
(zip code: 90001)
(zip code: 10001)
(zip code: 10001)
(zip code: 60290)
(zip code: 20001)
|Price Per Month||$87.73||$110.00||$65.67||$95.84||$40.04||$24.28||$34.05|
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from reputable companies, including Petplan. You can also visit our Pet Insurance Quotes page to see how the cost of Petplan stacks up against the competition.
Petplan charges a $3 transaction fee for every monthly or quarterly payment. The quote given online includes this fee. There is no transaction fee for annual payments.
Use coupon code CanineJournal to receive an additional 5% discount (10% total if you sign up online). Alternatively, if you call 800-237-1123 you will automatically get the additional 5% discount! You can also visit our dedicated Petplan promotions page to discuss current offers.
XL Specialty Insurance Company issues all new Petplan policies. Below are the waiting periods for these policies.
- 5 days: Accidents
- 15 days: Illnesses
- 6 months: Cruciates and patellas
Want to know what real customers think? Read these positive and negative Petplan reviews for a better understanding of its customer service.
I found the solution to the healthcare crisis. Health insurance needs to use the Petplan model. Car insurance should follow suit. Seriously our puppy would not still be kickin’ if we did not have Pet Insurance. It’s a great feeling to not have to worry about the $ and concentrate on his care. The freedom to make choices without considering cost. The ability to save for a wedding while Zuul is sick. So anyway I’m totally sold on it. Wouldn’t leave home without it. If you’re considering it just pull the trigger. – Justin B., Yelp 3/31/2018
I am a happy member of the Petplan insurance family! Anytime I have a claim, I’m always treated with respect, kindness, and concern for both me and my pitbull Pippy. I want to commend [name redacted] today for being able to quickly and efficiently update my payment information (fraudulent charges had forced me to close my existing one). Because I am so pleased with Petplan, I certainly did not want there to be an issue for my premiums to them!!! Thanks, Petplan, for always being here to help me get through tough situations with a smile! – Robin H., Trust Pilot 4/27/2018
Total rip off company. When you make claims they take several weeks to scrutinize and then find way to deny claim. They also raise rates for arbitrary reason, such as moving. – Bob B., Yelp 3/8/2018
Their phone staff is either poorly trained or dishonest. I hope the former. I asked what do you pay after meeting the deductible? I was told 80? Of everything else. The correct answer is ” after meeting the deductible for each illness or occurrence ” we pay 80%. So I rushed to have some growths removed before the end of the year when my dog was still recovering from an allergic reaction to some medication..Because of this misinformation, I rushed to have growths removed that turned out to be malignant before the end of the year while he was still recovering from an allergic reaction to meds. It could have waited three weeks. Do not rely on anything they tell you. Read ALL the writing. BUT you can’t even rely on that… My renewal letter said my premium would be $ 644.00 but they charged my credit card $210.00 which makes my premium $820.00. When I called they said their March 8th letter to me was wrong so they charged me the right amount because they made an error and my premium should have gone up. I am stuck with these disreputable people now because we now know that what my dog has been struggling with since the beginning of December is Valley Fever. I am waiting to see how they try to deny the claim. So is my Vet. So be careful with these people. I was cautioned early on by by a tech at a different vet’s office about their unwillingness to pay claims. We will see this coming year. Last year they disallowed some and really hiked up my premiums so just ck with some vets. – Anne S., Trust Pilot 3/22/2018
Pet insurance helps reduce out-of-pocket expenses when any significant medical event occurs in your dog’s life. None of us ever plan for these unexpected events to occur, but pet insurance offers peace of mind when they do happen.
Worried about what your dog’s eating when you’re not looking? Perhaps Petplan can help you feel more protected. Check out the video below; this dog loves to try everything!
Although Petplan’s pricing is higher on average compared to several top pet insurance providers, we think Petplan’s unlimited annual coverage is tough to beat and certainly worth considering. We’re also impressed with its stellar claim repayment reputation, which averages 5-7 days.
Ultimately, whether you pick Petplan for your pet is up to you; however, here at Canine Journal we always advocate some form of insurance. See how Petplan stacks up against other pet insurance companies in our comparison article.
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.