This content was reviewed by our licensed insurance agent, Michelle Schenker.
To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
Founded in 2003, Fetch licensed the Petplan name from Petplan UK until it became Fetch by The Dodo in early 2022. Today, Fetch is one of the largest U.S. pet insurance companies and has some of the most comprehensive coverage. However, many competitors have stepped up in recent years.
Why do we think Fetch still deserves your consideration? Read our review to see why you might choose Fetch, especially if you’re signing up as a new customer or adding a new pet.
- Fetch Overall Rating
- Alternatives To Fetch
- Pros & Cons Comparison Table
- Key Features
- Waiting Periods
- What Does Fetch Cover?
- Price Quotes
- Coupon Code
- How Does The Claim & Reimbursement Process Work?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I Really Need Pet Insurance?
- Fetch vs Other Companies
- What’s Our Final Verdict On Fetch by The Dodo?
Fetch Overall Rating
Our pet insurance experts read through each pet insurance companies’ policy to provide detailed comparisons and information regarding how a provider fares against others in the industry. We also speak with customers, read online feedback, and communicate one-on-one with the pet insurance companies to obtain a well-rounded, unbiased analysis of a company’s standings.
Our team rates pet insurance companies based on several factors, including A.M. Best ratings (an indicator of financial stability), claim processing reputations, contract coverage, customer service, pricing, plan customizations, and more.
While Fetch has a lot to offer, it did not make it into our top picks for best pet insurance providers. Our experts have analyzed over a dozen pet insurance providers. Check out our pet insurance reviews to learn more about this year’s top-ranked companies.
Pros & Cons Comparison Table
|Healthy pet credit (15% discount for each consecutive 12-month policy period without a claim, up to 30% max discount)||No multi-pet discount|
|No lifetime or per-condition payout limit||Several policyholders complain that they aren’t covered until they prove that their pet is healthy with updated medical records, but once they do that, Fetch covers any future eligible injury or illness|
|Covers the exam fees for sick visits ($50-$250 on average)||Dogs must have annual health and dental check-ups for coverage to apply. Failure to do so may mean your dog won’t get insurance coverage until that checkup is done.|
|Your pet is covered when they travel with you in the U.S. or Canada||Only covers CCL (ACL) on a second leg if the first leg remains healed for 12 months (if your pet received treatment for a cruciate or soft tissue injury to one knee before policy inception, then the other knee is automatically excluded)|
|Covers up to $1,000 in VirtualVet visits over video chat, call, or text||Sample quotes were higher than competitors|
|30-day money-back guarantee||No wellness plan available|
|Claim processing averages 22 days|
- Underwriter: XL Specialty Insurance Company
- A.M. Best rating: A+
- Offers a bilateral exclusion (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body) for injuries/conditions of cruciate ligaments — if one side were pre-existing, the policy would exclude the other if injured
- Claims process:
- Must submit claims within 90 days following treatment via the mobile app or online
- Claim repayments may take up to 30 days but averages 22 days for check (direct deposit may get your money back to you 5 to 10 days faster)
- Check and direct deposit are both available for reimbursement
- Healthy pet credit: For each 12-month period that your enrolled pet goes without a paid pet insurance claim reimbursement, Fetch applies a 15% Healthy Pet Credit to your policy premium, up to a 30% maximum total. So unlike other companies, your Fetch premiums might actually decline over time.
- Policies of $15,000 annual limit or more offer additional coverages:
- The cost of advertising and paying a reward for a stolen or lost pet
- The reasonable cost of boarding your pet at a licensed kennel or cattery while you’re in the hospital as a result of your own sickness, disease, or bodily injury
- Reimbursement for the price you paid for your pet if your pet is stolen or goes missing during the policy period and is not found
- Reimbursement for the price you paid for your pet if your pet dies or has to be put to sleep by a vet during the policy period, as a result of injury or illness
- Reimbursement for any travel and accommodation costs you cannot recover if you have to cancel or cut short vacation during the policy period because your pet is injured or shows the first clinical sign(s) of an illness while you are away or up to 7 days before you leave, and as a result requires immediate lifesaving vet treatment
- Includes coverage for COVID-19 in pets should an enrolled pet be diagnosed with the virus
- Covers VirtualVet visits up to $1,000 per policy year with no co-pay or deductible
- Offers pre-approval of estimates/procedures in advance of treatment
- Covers curable pre-existing conditions after 1 year
- Requires a vet exam within 6 months before or 30 days after enrollment
Customer Service Options & Hours
- Email, live chat, social media, and phone:
- Monday-Friday: 8am-8pm EST
- Saturday: 10am-6:30pm EST
- Sunday: Closed
- Illnesses: 15 days
- Accidents: 15 days
- Cruciates and Patellas: 6 months*
- Hip Dysplasia: 6 months
*Can be waived if a vet examines your pet within 30 days of policy issuance and the vet notes explicitly that there’s no indication of any knee problems.
Please know that none of the providers in our pet insurance comparison charts cover pre-existing conditions, cremation and burial costs, pregnancy and breeding, or unnecessary cosmetic procedures.
All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: emergency care, surgery and hospitalization, specialized exams and specialty care, X-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, cancer, chronic conditions, euthanasia, hereditary conditions, congenital conditions, non-routine dental treatment, and prescription medications. However, this coverage may have limitations, so please check your policy.
|Condition||Covered By Fetch|
We’ve gathered some sample prices from Fetch. You can choose your deductible, annual payout, and reimbursement amounts from the options listed in the table below. There may be more possibilities available to you based on your circumstances, so be sure to reach out to Fetch by phone at 800-237-1123 to explore potential plan customizations.
|Deductible Options||Payout Options||Reimbursement Options|
The cost of each policy is unique to your pet and depends on many variables, including your pet’s age, breed, location, health conditions, and more. Below are sample prices for select breeds in various locations with different limitations for Fetch by The Dodo. Quotes are from December 2021.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||English Cocker Spaniel||German Shepherd||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||2 years||8 years||4 years||2 years|
|Annual Payout Limit||Unlimited||Unlimited||$5,000||Unlimited|
|Price Per Month||$139.74||$168.85||$82.02||$34.02|
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from several top-ranked companies when you fill out just one short form. You can also visit our pet insurance quotes page to see how our cost scenarios for Fetch stack up against the competition.
Fetch offers the following discounts:
- 10% off the first year for new customers
- Up to 10% off for animal shelter adoptees and employees, corporate benefit plans, medical services pets, strategic partners, military, veterinary staff, and students
- 15% off for each consecutive 12-month period without a claim
- 10% off premiums for Walmart shoppers
How Does The Claim & Reimbursement Process Work?
Fetch uses a “deductible then co-pay” reimbursement method. This is calculated in the following way:
- Actual vet bill amount – Remaining annual deductible – Co-pay = Reimbursement amount
When her mother injured her back and landed in the hospital, Delaney, a five-year-old Golden Retriever, took out her stress on the holiday décor. A belly full of garland later, Delaney needed X-rays, emergency surgery, and medication to save her life. Luckily, Delaney’s family had pet insurance and could say yes to the care their precious pup needed to make a full recovery.
- Dog: Delaney, 5-year-old Golden Retriever
- Diagnosis: Foreign Body Ingestion
- Treatment Cost: $3,409
- Fetch Reimbursed: $2,568
- Final Cost For Pet Parents: $841
Most Common Claims Submitted To Fetch
- Unspecified allergies: $160.81
- Cruciate ligament tear/rupture: $1,039.25
- Lameness: $242.82
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding Fetch pet insurance from our readers.
How Do I Cancel Fetch Policy?
You can cancel Fetch by The Dodo insurance by calling 1-866-467-3875.
If you notify Fetch within 30 days from the effective date shown on your policy declarations page and haven’t submitted a claim, the company will refund your premium. After 30 days, Fetch will return the pro-rata premium based upon the date of termination of the policy.
If you are transitioning from Fetch to a new provider, take a look at our pet insurance reviews to see which pet insurance companies we recommend.
Do I Really Need Pet Insurance?
Pet insurance helps reduce out-of-pocket expenses when any significant medical event occurs in your dog’s life. None of us ever plan for these unexpected events to occur, but pet insurance offers peace of mind when they do. See how Fetch pet insurance made an impact on Reuban’s life in the short video below.
Fetch vs Other Companies
Interested in seeing how Fetch by The Dodo stacks up against other popular pet insurance companies? We’ve written comparison articles for you to see how Fetch and other leading pet insurance companies compare in coverage, customer service and reputation, claim processing, plan customization, and price.
- Fetch vs Embrace
- Fetch vs Figo
- Fetch vs Healthy Paws
- Fetch vs Nationwide
- Fetch vs Pets Best
- Fetch vs Trupanion
What’s Our Final Verdict On Fetch by The Dodo?
Fetch’s pricing is higher on average compared to several top pet insurance providers. Additionally, we’re slightly disappointed with its claim processing timeline, which currently averages 22 days for check or 5 to 10 days faster via direct deposit. However, we think Fetch’s detailed coverage is tough to beat and certainly worth considering.
Ultimately, whether you pick Fetch for your pet is up to you; however, here at Canine Journal, we always advocate some form of insurance. See how Fetch stacks up against other pet insurance companies in our detailed comparison.Tagged With: Review, Reviewed By Insurance Agent