Is your dog scared of fireworks? He’s not alone! Although fireworks are a fun, exciting sight for us humans, dogs and fireworks typically don’t get along. The unexpected, loud noise can often create stress and anxiety for your dog. Why do dogs hate fireworks? Find this out as well as tips for how to calm down a dog during fireworks, including home remedies for dogs who are scared of fireworks.
Why Are Dogs Scared Of Fireworks?
Why are dogs afraid of fireworks? It’s normal for loud noises to startle us, and the same goes for dogs.
Fireworks are loud, and when they explode, the sound triggers a dog’s nervous system, making him feel afraid. If your dog runs away when fireworks go off, it’s because of his natural instinct. He’s just trying to survive. It’s not like any other noise he hears regularly, and he doesn’t understand the origin. So his first instinct is to find protection far away from the loud noise.
How To Calm A Dog During Fireworks
|Thundershirt Dog Jacket|
There are a few options for you to help calm your pooch when there are fireworks in your area.
- Exercise your pet. Taking your dog for a walk before the festivities begin is a natural way to reduce stress for you and your pet.
- If you’re at home, create a safe environment for your dog during the fireworks. A good option may be to place him in a crate with a chew toy. You could even play calming music in the background. And, be sure all windows and doors are securely closed to prevent anxiety-ridden runaway tendencies.
- If you’re away from home, give him a treat or his favorite toy to make him feel happy and distract some of the attention away from the loud noise.
- Stay calm. If you freak out, so will your dog. If your pup begins to go crazy during fireworks, try to stay calm and soothe him. Perhaps you can pick him up and hold him tight to make him feel more safe and secure.
- Reduce your pet’s anxiety with CBD, a safe solution with no known side effects. It can also help with pain management, joint limitations, and more. Check with your vet before starting any new health treatment.
- Purchase a Thundershirt. A Thundershirt applies pressure to the dog since it is wrapped tightly around him, providing a sense of security. Put the Thundershirt on your dog during fireworks to help with his anxiety. While a Thundershirt is a great tool, never leave your pup unattended while wearing it.
- Try an essential oil stress reduction remedy to counteract your dog’s fear of fireworks.
- Medicate your pup. If there is no other alternative and the fireworks are unavoidable (maybe you live close to a venue that regularly has fireworks), then you may wish to talk to your vet about prescribing anti-anxiety medication for your dog to take before the fireworks begin. And we have found Composure Calming Treats to be a helpful, vet-recommended over-the-counter solution.
Infographic: How To Keep A Dog Calm During Fireworks
Thundershirt Benefits Are Many: Video
Here’s a video of a dog who truly benefits from the Thundershirt.
As you can see from the video, the way you prepare your pup for fireworks can truly be lifesaving. If your dog escapes and ends up in a shelter, you may never find him. So, be sure to take care of your pup the next time fireworks are in the air.
What are your best tricks for calming your dog during fireworks?