To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
|Compare All Products|
Want to weed out man-made pharmaceuticals to help relieve some of your pup’s ongoing health problems? You’re not alone. More and more pet parents are turning to an all-natural alternative, CBD oil, made from the hemp plant.
Studies have shown that CBD oil and other CBD products are beneficial for several human health issues, including anxiety, pain, seizures and neurological disorders. But is CBD effective and safe for dogs?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is extracted from the flowers and buds of cannabis (marijuana or hemp plants). CBD, however, doesn’t produce the “high” associated with marijuana because it doesn’t contain the chemical tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
For further clarification, hemp and marijuana both come from the cannabis plant but contain different levels of THC. Marijuana can contain as much as 30% THC while the hemp plant has a max of only 0.3% THC. So, while marijuana-derived CBD oil is still illegal in most states, the hemp-derived oil is legal in all 50 U.S. states.
Human use of CBD oil is growing in popularity, especially in states where medicinal and recreational marijuana use is legal. But can you give CBD oil to dogs? Is it safe for our canine friends and other pets?
Many vets recommend CBD oil for dogs, even as veterinary scientific research into this new treatment is in its infancy. Studies in humans, however, show that cannabinoids have anti-inflammatory effects and can help with anxiety, aggression, pain, seizures, muscle spasms and neurological disorders.
Like humans, dogs and cats have an endocannabinoid system that allows them to benefit from CBD oil. This system allows the active ingredients in hemp to help relieve many symptoms.
CBD drops for dogs or CBD dog treats can ease several conditions your pup may suffer from either occasionally or chronically, including:
- Anxiety and stress
- Moderate to severe pain
- Chronic inflammation
- Joint pain
- Digestion problems
Since CBD oil for pets isn’t yet regulated, there are some vital factors to consider when searching for the most effective and safe products.1
- Is it organic? High-quality CBD oils are made from organically-grown hemp that are free of toxins.
- How is it processed? Safe methods include carbon dioxide and cold press extraction. Some companies, however, use cheap methods and potentially toxic solvents, like propane, hexane and butane, to extract THC from the plant.
- Is it independently tested? Look for companies that independently test their products and provide a certificate of analysis (COA). Testing can include Microbiology, Pesticide, Mycotoxin, Residual Solvent, Heavy Metals and more.
- What’s the THC level? Check every product for its THC potency. Some products contain higher levels of THC, which could be harmful to your pet. Look for products with less than 0.3% THC. All of the products we recommend are derived from hemp and, thus, should always fall below this level.
Vets and experts urge using caution when giving CBD for dogs, mainly because there haven’t been enough scientific studies to prove its efficacy or safe dosage level. Still, many vets already recommend CBD oil for dogs. Unfortunately, there aren’t regulated dosage levels yet.
Here are some tips from holistic veterinarians, who have loads of experience using CBD for pets:
- Consult your veterinarian before you give your pet any treatments.
- Start with a very low dosage (0.25 mg once a day) and slowly increase if needed. Monitoring your dog’s response to CBD (or any medication) is crucial.
- Take into account your dog’s weight, size and activity level — these factors can help you determine how your dog will metabolize CBD (and other medications).
- Consider your dog’s other health conditions that may affect his ability to react to or metabolize CBD, e.g., liver or kidney problems
- Find a high-quality CBD oil that’s free of any kinds of toxins. Since the industry isn’t yet regulated, there are some potentially sketchy products out there.
- Buy the correct potency for your dog’s size. Most oils come in different CBD potencies, e.g., 75mg for small dogs; 300+mg for large dogs. Each company differs in the potency levels offered. Note: this is not the THC potency.
Here are our top picks for companies that sell high-quality CBD oils, CBD dog treats and other related products.
King Kanine is a top manufacturer of CBD products exclusively made for pets. Their King Kalm line includes oils, treats, balms and soothing sprays. They make their CBD oil from naturally occurring Phytocannabinoid-rich (PCR) broad spectrum oil.
They then suspend the CBD in omega-3 rich krill oil, which includes essential fatty acids known to be an efficient catalyst for delivering CBD to the body. Many holistic vets recommend King Kanine products.
- $39.99 per 75mg bottle
- $59.99 per 150mg bottle
- $89.99 per 300mg bottle
- Free shipping over $75
- View all options
MediPets is a top U.S. manufacturer of pure CBD oils, treats and sprays for both dogs and cats. If you prefer treats to oils, MediPets sells more than a dozen types of dog treats and a couple of different cat treats.
Your purchase from MediPets also contributes to their non-profit partner, Saving Sage Animal Rescue Foundation, a non-profit and volunteer-run animal rescue organization in South Florida. Saving Sage dedicates time to the most urgent, abused and neglected animals to keep them out of shelters.
- $24.99 per 25mg bottle
- $39.99 per 50mg bottle
- $49.99 per 100mg bottle
- Free shipping over $100
- View all options
HempMy Pet makes all of its products from their own organically-grown Colorado hemp and certified organic carrier oils and ingredients sourced from sustainable growers. They use hemp seed oil and coconut oil as their carriers, both of which are beneficial dietary supplements.
HempMy Pet’s tinctures and oils are made to human-grade quality and contain less than .3% THC. The company also contributes to animal rescues and sanctuaries.
You can save 10% if you sign up for auto shipping with HempMy Pet.
- $39.00 for 100mg hemp infused coconut oil (5 fl. oz. jar)
- $99.99 for 500mg hemp infused coconut oil (5 fl. oz. jar)
- $79.99 for 250mg hemp oil tincture (1 fl. oz. bottle)
- $149.00 for 1,000mg hemp oil tincture (1 fl. oz. bottle)
- $25 for hemp infused dog biscuits
- Free shipping on all orders
- View all options
|1st Place: King Kanine||2nd Place: MediPets||3rd Place: HempMy Pet||Canna-Pet||Hempure||Honest Paws|
|Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website|
|Read Review||Read Review||Read Review||Read Review||Read Review||Read Review|
|Starting Price for CBD Oil||$39.99||$24.99||$39||$79.99||$54.99||$39.95|
|Money Back Guarantee||30 Days||15 Days||N/A||30 Days||N/A||30 Days|
|Certificate of Independent Testing Analysis Available|
|100% Pesticide & Solvent Free|
|CO2 Extraction Process|
|CBD Dog Treats|
Other CBD Oil For Dogs Reviews
Canna-Pet manufactures CBD oils and capsules for dogs, cats and horses and a variety of CBD dog biscuits. They claim that their products deliver 10-15X the bioavailability of other hemp products.
Canna-Pet’s website, however, doesn’t provide any proof to back up that claim, nor do they make public a COA that their products are independently tested for potency or toxins. For this reason, we recommend going with another company for now.
- $79.99 for CBD oil (33 fl. oz.)
- $29.99 for 30 CBD capsules (pets under 20 lbs)
- $33.99 for 30 CBD capsules (pets over 20 lbs)
- Discounts for auto-shipping
- View all options
Hempure manufactures and sells a wide variety of CBD products for humans, but they do offer CBD oil and chews for pets. They only carry one size of oil and one type of pet chews, and their formulas don’t specify whether they’re for dogs or cats. However, they guarantee that their formulas contain 0% THC.
- $54.99 per 250mg oil
- $29.99-$54.99 for 24 or 48 ct. chew pack
- Free shipping over $99
- View all options
Honest Paws offers CBD-infused dog oils, treats, soft chews and even a creamy peanut butter. They say their CBD oil is also safe for cats, but they don’t offer cat-specific products.
This company uses its proprietary supercritical CO2 process to extract the CBD from “premium-grade” hemp plants and then emulsifies it in all-natural MCT Oil that’s extracted and refined from renewable coconut farms.
- $39.95 for 125mg oil
- $49.95 for 250mg oil
- $79.95 for 500mg oil
- Free shipping over $40
- View all options
Want to learn more about CBD and the benefits for your dog? Check out this brief video for more in-depth info.
If you’re still wondering about the safety of cannabis for dogs, be sure to read our in-depth article that discusses 7 things you need to know about marijuana and dogs.
Not sold on hemp products to relieve your dog’s pain or other health concerns? Some other natural options include essential oil therapy, acupuncture and massage. If you are seeking a more pharmaceutical route, read our companion articles to learn which pain meds are best for dogs and which OTC medications are safe for dogs.
Have you ever given your dog CBD oil? What happened?
Sources:  Dogs Naturally