To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
One of the most frustrating parts of being a dog owner is buying a fun new toy for your dog only to find it destroyed within 5 minutes. That’s not only hard on your wallet, but it can also be dangerous for your dog. Unfortunately, we’ve all been there.
Here are our top 6 recommendations for the toughest dog toys on the market.
The first step in finding the most indestructible and longest-lasting toy is to determine what type of chewer your dog is. There are three chewing styles:
- Gentle Chewers: these dogs prefer fabric and plush dog toys. Most of the time, they like to lick or suck on the toys and not chew them up.
- Average Chewers: these dogs love to play with all different types of toys and like to carry them around with them. They can tear up the fabric toys but rarely deconstruct the rubber ones.
- Powerful Chewers: These dogs are determined and aggressive chewers. Their pet parents need to be selective with picking out toys. Most power chewers prefer large, hard rubber toys. If you have this kind of chewer, keep reading.
- Toys should be appropriate for your dog’s size. Small toys can be easily ingested and lodged in your dog’s throat if the toy is too little for your dog.
- Consider removing the squeaker located in the center of some toys because some dogs see it as a challenge to find the source of squeaking and can choke on this device.
- Fillings such as polystyrene beads and nutshells can be dangerous.
- Remove eyes, strings and ribbons that they can easily swallow.
Below are some of the best-reviewed indestructible dog toys we’ve found.
Planet Dog Orbee-Tuff Diamond Plate Ball
This toy is soft and flexible, so it’s got the “chew” factor that most dogs love. It also bounces well, so it’s great for tossing and playing fetch. Many reviewers also say it’s easy to extract from your dog’s mouth.
Kong has been around since the 1970s. The Kong Extreme is made of rubber and is very durable for the most powerful chewers.
The “Extreme” Kong is thicker and stronger than the “Regular” Kong and was specifically made to stand up to aggressive chewers. Bonus: it is easy to wash and does not have an odor.
Mammoth Flossy Chews 3-Knot Rope Tug
This is the rope toy of ALL rope toys. The rope is 2 inches thick and is great for heavy chewers. It also cleans their teeth. If you have a dog who likes to play tug of war, this toy is for you. It’s also a good toy for playing fetch.
West Paw Zogoflex Tux Treat Stuffable Chew
This dog treat toy is durable and allows your dog to work for the treat. It’s tossable, stuffable, pliable and recyclable. It’s even dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
Nylabone Double Action Chew
This Nylabone features dental nubs to control tartar and plaque buildup. There are different versions available for your dog’s size. The center of the bone allows for easy carrying, and the durable nylon ends massage the gums during powerful chewing.
Read this to learn more about Nylabone product warnings.
- Small (up to 25 lbs):
- Medium (up to 35 lbs):
- Large (50+ lbs):
Goughnuts Interactive Dog Toy
This toy is for larger dogs who are power chewers. It’s great for dogs who love to play tug of war. Dogs love chewing and pulling on this durable toy.
If you want more dog toy ideas, check out our article that includes the best dog toys. This is a good place to start since they are highly ranked toys by pet parents. So you can find out what type of toy your dog prefers.
Have you found a dog toy that we didn’t mention that works well for your aggressive chewer?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.