How To Stop Your Puppy From Crying In Its Crate

Puppy crying in crate: How to Stop Your Puppy from Crying in its CrateIs your new puppy more whine than roses when they’re in his or her crate? Is the joy of your new family member wearing thin because it won’t stop crying and whining? Well, it’s time you take the lead.

Crate training a puppy can be frustrating, but the earlier you start, the better. The good news is — there’s a lot you can do to nip the crate whining in the bud, so it doesn’t become a prolonged problem.

Will Your Puppy Ever Like Its Crate?

Get Free Pet Insurance Quotes

For sure, but you must ease him into it the right way. Dogs are instinctively denning animals, and they find comfort in having their own pad. But first, puppies need assurance that their new crate is a safe, inviting place — not a cage that serves as a long-term babysitter or a tool for punishment (it’s not a time out chair). Easier said than done, right?

Puppy laying crateIf you take the lead and follow the steps in our article, Crate Training Your Puppy: The Key To A Pee-Free Home, it can be a relatively painless process.

Remember: keep your eye on the prize! Your end goal is for your puppy to want to be in its crate!

Why Is Your Puppy Still Whining?

So, you followed the initial crate training steps, but your dog is still whining. It could be that you went through the process too quickly?

Try again more gradually. If your dog continues to cry, don’t go to it or pay attention to it. They’ll soon learn that whining will get your attention, and then you’ve got a significant problem on your hands.

It’s not only okay for your puppy to be in their crate alone, but it’s also beneficial for future behavior and temperament  — it fosters independence and helps stave off later issues with separation anxiety.

With that said, you mustn’t overuse the crate or make it a place of punishment. Leaving a puppy in their crate for long periods or putting it there too frequently can be a trigger for whining and crying. Dogs are incredibly social animals and need companionship.

If you do have to crate your dog more than you’d like (long workday, tons of errands to run, etc.), make sure you spend time playing with or taking it on a walk in between crate times. And don’t forget that a puppy’s bladder can’t go for long periods of time without relief.

Important Note

According to the Animal Humane Society, leaving a puppy in a crate for an 8-10 hour workday is “not an appropriate way” to crate train. If you have times when you can’t be there, ask a neighbor or hire a pet sitter to give your pup a break. The more attention it has while outside of the crate means less time whining and crying once back in the crate.

What About Whining At Night?

You don’t have to lose sleep over your puppy whining in their crate at night. First, you need to make sure you’ve taken care of his or her needs before bedtime.

Is Your Puppy Tired?

Puppies have a lot of energy (as you well know!), and they need to work it out before going in their crate at night. Take your dog on a long walk and play with them, so it burns off that energy.

Does It Need To Relieve Itself?

Bathroom breaks are critical, especially for puppies whose bladders can’t last long. Make sure your puppy does all their business outside as close to bedtime as possible. Don’t worry — the older your pup gets, the longer it’ll last!

Is The Crate Comfortable?

• Lily in dog crate (caption: best dog crates)Make sure you place good bedding and a few favorite toys in the crate.
  • It is also essential to consider the room temperature in the room. Puppies and smaller dog breeds can get chilly quickly, so make sure you position the crate in an area that is not too cold (or too hot).
  • And if the crate is too large, your dog could feel intimidated, so be sure to select the best crate for your dog.

If you’ve done all you can to satisfy your pup’s basic needs, consider putting them to bed with a chewable treat or super strong toy that will occupy it until they are sleepy. This will distract your dog.

If your puppy continues whining, don’t go to the crate. If you acknowledge your dog’s whining with attention, they’ll learn that all they have to do is cry and you’ll be there. As hard as it might be, let your dog settle themselves down. After a few nights, they will understand that whining and crying in the crate won’t get them anywhere.

Video: Don’t Say No To The Crate

We couldn’t resist sharing this funny video of what can happen if your dog doesn’t like their crate. You don’t want an ongoing battle with your pup.

Remember Why You’re Doing The Tough Training

It’s not easy housebreaking a puppy — remember, they’re in a new place, away from their mom and litter. Try to remember that this is an all-new environment, and your puppy needs time and reassurance to adjust.

As time-consuming and frustrating as crate training (and other puppy behavior problems) might be at first, your hard work will surely pay off in the long run! And if you still find yourself struggling, you might look into professional training (especially while your dog is young). We recommend Doggy Dan’s online course or a local dog trainer.

What methods have you found most useful in curbing your puppy from crying in its crate?

Sally holds a BA in English from James Madison University and began her 25-year writing career as a grad student at the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Journalism & Mass Communications. She’s been a pet parent since college years (and spent her whole childhood with pets).

Now as a parent of two teenagers, she’s made sure to raise her daughters to learn how to love and care for pets (and other animals) in the most responsible and loving ways. As a result, she and her daughters now have 5 rescued dogs and cats who essentially rule their home! Sally has also volunteered over the years to help raise funds for various animal nonprofit organizations.

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Nathalie B
July 22, 2020 10:44 pm

I took my puppy from a dog foster home about a year ago. I love him to bits. He has a great personality, and I feel that he loves our family so much, but he barks A LOT… So, leaving home is always a challenge for us. My husband and I were thinking about taking him to ‘doggy school’, but then again, it’s extremely expensive, and the nearest ‘doggy school’ is far away from us. Maybe you have some advice? Thank you!!!

July 23, 2020 3:16 pm
Reply to  Nathalie B

It sounds like your dog may be showing signs of separation anxiety. Keeping your dog entertained when you’re gone such as a puzzle toy can be beneficial. One of our dogs hates the crate. We had to purchase a heavy-duty crate for her and give her CBD oil often. Dog daycare can add up very quickly so it’s nice to have some options to try. Good luck!

ShiaNe weeks
July 7, 2020 5:26 pm

I have a puppy and she won’t stop crying all night long! I have tried to put her in the crate and cover it with a blanket but no luck! She cries louder and I live in an apartment. I can’t have her doing that.

Ace
July 10, 2020 12:42 am
Reply to  ShiaNe weeks

We used a Kong and put peanut butter in there. It tired out our puppy at night and helped soothe it to sleep.

Krakmonke9
July 5, 2020 8:30 pm

How does this work if you live in an apartment or condo? Waiting it out might not be an option when your neighbors have human babies and those babies are getting woken up by the whining barking puppy.

choccy
May 25, 2020 1:36 am

I have a 9 week old German shep/Border Collie/Lab mix and this is his third night in the crate. Whined and barked and screamed for over 10 mins (even with his fav toys and blanket on his bed), so I brought him outside and he peed right away. Brought him back in, played and let him explore for a lil bit, rewarded him when he went in his crate and left a shirt that smelled like me in it and he’s been quiet for almost 10 minutes now. No whining or anything so I’m praying he’s comfy for now. His crate is right by my bed as well with a dark blanket over it.

Bea dominguez
May 24, 2020 3:55 pm

I need help crate traing my 9 week old aussie mix. He is driving us insane with the barking and crying! We’ve had him 2 weeks now. First night he stayed in the crate, my son had to sleep on the floor with him and he woke up every 3 hrs to relive the pupper. Next few days were hell, none of us got sleep so the pupper has been sleeping in the bed since day 3. The most he lasts in the crate during the day is about 5-10 min. He screams, barks, howls, you name it. We keep saying “quiet” and give him a treat when he does. He eats in his crate and we make sure he’s gone potty and exercised when he goes in again. Please give me advice!!!
Also, his crate is 1/2 covered with a sheet.

May 26, 2020 1:24 pm
Reply to  Bea dominguez

Here is an article with more information on crate training. I have five dogs who are all crate trained including one who I adopted at 12 weeks old. Each dog required their process due to personal anxieties or energy levels. Maple, our coonhound, has had issues with being alone since 12 weeks old. I had to ensure she did not feel like her crate always meant she was alone and fueled separation anxiety. I hope this helps!

BoyMom
December 7, 2019 1:57 am

I just got my boys 2 little pups. They had been abandoned so we aren’t sure what they are yet. They are about 8 weeks old and we’ve had them for 3 weeks. We were crate training them together just because they were so young and they were doing great but then I read they should have their own space which I’d prefer. The boys want their pup to sleep in their rooms. I bought another crate and we set everything up in each room and they had a crazy bunch of fits. I knew it would be hard but it may be impossible. They can hear each other screeching which makes the other one cry even if they had been calm. Even when they aren’t in the room alone they cry and cry for the other one. I know if I wait longer it’ll be worse. Any advice here would be amazing!

Nicole
November 25, 2019 5:24 am

I have always used crates. While the first month or so can be hard, once they get used to the crate it can benefit them more than you. When I trained my pups (between 6 weeks and 3 months when they came to live with me) I did 2 important things. One is that often I would put them in the crate close but not latch the door. Sometimes I would leave the room others stay in the room. I taught them it was their “safe space”. Sometimes they would get nervous around guests or other dogs and would walk right into the crate. I would leave the crate door open and they came out when they felt better. I still socialized them, but often they just wanted a break.

One of my dogs is particularly skiddish. If it thundered she would beg to go into her crate of the door to the room was closed. There were still times that they cried to get out. I just laid on the floor, kept them in the crate but calmed them down. Toys in the crate are particularly important. My dog is now 7 and I can’t remember the last time we closed the door on the crate but she probably goes in there and takes a nap at least once a day. And if there is bad thunder, she goes right in. She is now allowed on our bed and has complete house access when we leave. But if we leave the house, there is a 90% chance she will just be in her crate asleep and calmly walk right to the door to wait to go outside.
I’ve never thought of it as a convenience for me or a punishment. It is the only place in the house or yard that is ‘hers’ and she knows she will be safe. We recently adopted a new puppy and do have to crate him when we leave – he is a scavenger and might get into something dangerous. But the adult goes in, lays next to his crate and he is fine.
Just a few ideas for people that are struggling….

Chelsie
October 30, 2019 6:54 pm

Hello all,
We have a 12 week old cockalier poodle puppy. Since we got her we made it a point to leave the house for short periods of time and increasing it to 4 hours with her in a play pen and she did amazing at first. Now a week later, when we leave her in the play pen or her crate during the day she freaks out. She cries, barks, and will try and get out for about an hour. I’ve tried calming music, TV, puzzle toys and they only keep her occupied for about 3 minutes. Shes managed to get out of her play pen a few times and we’re not sure what to do! This only usually happens in the morning and then she’s fine in her play pen the rest of the day. Please help!

Thanks

Nicole
November 25, 2019 5:26 am
Reply to  Chelsie

Just a thought, maybe she is similar to a toddler and testing the boundaries….

Blue
October 28, 2019 1:40 am

We have a 7 week old puppy (golden retriever). The first couple of nights he slept in the crate perfectly, and only barked when he needed to go to the bathroom, so we would take him out he would go potty, then go right back to sleep in the crate. But now he whines and barks excessively. We have followed everything to a T, we exercised him, took him out to the bathroom, put him in the crate when he was tired but he then begins to scream bloody murder. We never leave him alone in the crate we are in the bedroom with him the entire time. Additionally, my boyfriend works from home so he is never crated during the day. Do we just let him cry it out?

michelle tooth
November 26, 2019 7:19 am
Reply to  Blue

I have having the same issue with my 11 week cavapoo – started off so well in crate but not barks and crys during the day when she is in there. Nighttime no problem but trying to train her to stay in there when I am working. She will onl y be in there for a few hours at a time and only 1 day a week but not sure whether I should ignore her crying

Marcus
December 5, 2019 6:33 pm
Reply to  michelle tooth

You need to crate during the day. Puppy should spend 18 to 20 hours a day in his/her crate. They need a lot of sleep and this is the best way to do it. Get them used to anytime of the day. Dont give into screaming or whining, unless it’s to go potty. Make a bonker. Search gary wilkes Jeff gellman. Throw that bonker at the crate or hit it hard on top after you say NO first. Works wonders. You’ll need to probably do it a few times and each day but it works. Its 5;32 pm here and I’m in bed and was taking nap. My puppy is 8.6 weeks old. They are lots of work and I live on the 18th floor so it’s been extra hell for me. But it will pay off

emily
April 29, 2020 2:26 pm
Reply to  Marcus

18-20 hours? WTF is wrong with you. Also, you shouldn’t scare the puppy by banging on the crate. It’s supposed to be a safe space for them. You are literally the doing the exact opposite. If your puppy is in a crate that long you don’t deserve to have a dog.

Tree
January 9, 2020 5:56 pm
Reply to  Marcus

18 to 20 hours in a crate is abuse. Puppies need exercise and socialization, not imprisonment.

Jay Tee
December 29, 2019 10:18 pm
Reply to  Marcus

If you’re crating your dog for 18-20 hours a day the. you need to give that dog to someone else who can give it a better life. Are you serious?

Millie
October 23, 2019 11:38 am

Lmao. We crate trained him for the first time ever tonight. My 3-month-old PomSpitz knows the meaning of “bed” so whenever we say the word, he goes inside the crate and we give him a treat biscuit he’s so crazy about.

The problem is, if we lock him there, he’s gonna whine and cry. My boyfriend and I set our timer for 10 mins. The entire time, he kept on crying. Sometimes, he’s quiet, but that’s because he was biting the crate.

After ten minutes, we told him “sit” and opened the cage. After three minutes or so, we decided to do it again, this time, for 30 mins.

So he whined again and cried and I was worried he might disturb the neighbors. But this time, my bf and I were really determined not to look at him, not to lock eye contact, never (we kinda did during the first training sesh). Instead, we played soft jazz music on YouTube.

After 8 mins, the whining stopped. We thought he was just biting the cage, but after a minute or so, there was silence.

So we looked at him. He was lying on his flat stomach with both his arms spread out in front of him and legs spread outwards. Can you picture this pose? (It’s so cute imo) Plus, he wasn’t looking at our direction; his back was facing us. It’s like he’s giving us the silent treatment and now, the one ignoring us! lmao!

I saw this pose before. It was at that time when we were eating chicken and he clearly wanted to have some but we didn’t give him any, which is why he also gave us the silent treatment, like he doesn’t care anymore lol!

So because he was quiet after 8 minutes, we opened the door for him. It’s to let him know he can only get out if he’s quiet.

We’ll do another training sesh tomorrow and hopefully he doesn’t forget what he learned.

Ashley
October 27, 2019 9:51 pm
Reply to  Millie

Are you crating him during the day even when you guys are home? Putting a puppy in it’s crate ONLY at night is a bad habit when trying to crate train. He will associate that with you leaving him at night which could cause separation issues. It’s best to crate him multiple times throughout the day when you are home so he doesn’t associate the crate with you leaving him in it only at night. Always put toys or treats in there with him. Of course, proper exercise and potty breaks are a must. Every puppy is different but he will get properly crate trained!

David
October 2, 2019 10:35 pm

Here’s my scenario: I brought a lovely little lab mix home from the SPCA nine days ago. The workers at the SPCA guessed she is about a year old. Before bringing the dog home, I watched six or seven videos of people showing how to crate-train dogs. I’ve been doing much of what they recommended. The dog hasn’t nearly begun to like the crate, though she will eat breakfast, dinner and snacks in there without complaint. She’s also begun to sleep nicely in the crate at nighttime if the crate is in my bedroom. The problem is, every time I put her in the crate and leave the house, even for a minute, she cries and barks and whimpers non-stop. By now, I’ve tried leaving for an hour or so a few times, hoping she’ll settle and relax and learn that I always come back. I leave a kong toy in the crate with peanut butter or cheese in it, I leave other toys … nothing has helped so far. When I return after an hour or an hour-and-a-half, I silently approach the house so I can hear if she’s still barking, etc. And she always is. I know it’s only been nine days and that, as a rescue dog (she was a stray) that she has a history of which I’m completely unaware, but I wonder how long this will go on or if it’ll ever stop. I work at home, which is helpful, but I live alone and sometimes I need to leave the house for various reasons. So far I can’t do that without the dog becoming loud and frantic. And I wonder if I’m making the situation worse by simply leaving the house occasionally while keeping her in the crate. In any case, I’m not sure I know how to make the situation better. I see that most of the commentators on this site are discussing crate-training puppies, and that most of the crying occurs while the dog owners are in the house. I’m wondering if anyone has had experiences similar to mine, and if so, if they have any advice to offer. Thanks.

Ashley Banuelos
October 18, 2019 11:42 am
Reply to  David

I am dealing with something very similar. I have a 4 month old puppy and she sleeps in there fine and eats her food. I work from home too and I feel I have spent too much time with her, when I leave she is very upset. I have been working in another room for period of the day so she can get used to being without me in the crate. I have also tried to leave her in the morning into the room, later in the day is much better than the mornings.

Michelle tooth
November 26, 2019 7:23 am

Hi Ashley
Exactly same as me, work from home but need to be able to leave her when I have to go out of home once a week for work. I have until Christmas to get this sorted but when I crate her in the day she whines, barks and crys. Sitting watching her on video in the other room and its been 20 mins now of crying but I won go back to her. How did you get on eventually as I see you posted mid October?

Marcus
December 5, 2019 6:41 pm
Reply to  Michelle tooth

Bonker! I also do not let my puppy have anything in the crate. I never feed, put any blankets, toys , nothing in it. Dont want to create bad habits like chewing. Everytime it’s time to feed which is 4x a day for raw diet, we train basic obedience sit, place, come, heel, down etc. 2-3 min at the most then I throw the rest of the food on the floor on the balcony and then we go outside. He is 8.6 weeks old right now. So use a bonker and smack the top of the crate hard or throw it hard at the cage door, always say NO first not yelling but stern. It works almost all the time, some puppies first bonk others several and then it gets less and less

Tari
October 26, 2019 3:46 pm

I also have a puppy which we got at 11 weeks and is now 13 weeks. We tried to acclimate her to the crate right away. Since the first night she has slept in the crate at night without an issue but the daytime is another story. I’ve tried many treats, pheromone spray, leave the tv on, and cover the crate. Some days she is ok if I stay with her for a bit and gradually leave. Most she has lasted is 2 hours, most of the time 45 minutes. She freaks out if we leave the room. Not sure how to handle this. We’ve raised many dogs before and never had an issue.

Sam T
September 27, 2019 1:37 am

I took my puppy from a dog foster home about a year ago. I love him to bits; he has a great personality, and I feel that he loves our family so much. BUT, whenever I take him for walks, we have problems. He hates other dogs and other people sometimes even growls at us. My husband and I were thinking about taking him to ‘doggy school’, but then again, it’s extremely expensive, and the nearest ‘doggy school’ is far away from us. Maybe you have some advice? THANK YOU!!!!

Carly N.
August 5, 2019 2:51 am

THIS REALLY WORKS. I jjust got my mini australian shepherd on Friday and she turned 8 weeks today. The first 2 nights were rough with her constantly barking and whining to be let out. She would only get louder and I tried just telling her no every time, to no avail. That was UNTIL I came across a comment further down by Yolanda B. She said to tap the top of the crate and give a firm ‘no’ and I’ve only had to do it a couple of times and now SILENCE! She has barely made a peep. Once here and there when I put her back in after a potty break but PLEASE TRY IT! It doesn’t have to be a hard tap and a loud no, it can be light with a firm voice and like magic, it’s quiet. Thank you!!!

Megan
July 15, 2019 10:33 pm

Classical music calms my 5 month old pup down after a crate temper tantrum.

Erich
June 24, 2019 1:25 am

HIT THE CAGE!!!!!!! Seriously guys if all else fails, you’ve fed,watered, and relieved them and they are still crying after 15min, hit the cage and tell them no firmly. My 8 week old shepherd was driving me insane by night 3. I read to never ever hit the cage so I didn’t and she would whine from 8pm-6am (I do let her out for potty ever 3hrs). Tonight I was sick of it after 3hrs of straight crying and I smacked the top of the cage and firmly said no, she gave one more yip and I said no immediately after the yip. After that silence for 3yrs until she had to pee.

Doesn’t matter
August 2, 2019 6:56 pm
Reply to  Erich

If you are not letting your dog out between 8pm-6am that’s pretty cruel. And hitting the cage is even more cruel. 3 days?? You did that after 3 days, puppy is away from it’s mom and siblings for the first time, so it’s getting used to a new place, and new crate and you hit the cage? I’m sure he shut up because he’s terrified of you and scared he’s gonna get abused. Shame on you. You shouldn’t own a dog. Or any animal. Maybe a fish? If you want silence.

Fur mom
July 8, 2020 5:22 pm

They aren’t scaring the puppies. They are letting the puppy know it’s not going to be tolerated any longer. See, that’s why there are SO many spoiled dogs running the household…what do you suggest, ”now little scruffy…lay down there and go night-night”? ( in a sickening syrupy high pitched voice). Hitting the cage once and sternly saying no is NOT abuse!

Jenna
May 28, 2020 7:33 am

She literally said she let the puppy out every 3 hours…

David White
November 3, 2019 10:23 pm

I disagree. I had the same issue with my 9-week-old beautiful little female Schnocker. She cried even though her crate was just inches from me on the bed. The noise she made was beyond crying–it was the loudest, most heart-wrenching sound you can imagine. After all manner of verbal consoling and even leaving the top opening ajar so I could pet her from time to time failed dismally, I’d had it. I need my sleep as much as she does. So I gave a good, sharp rap on the crate and used my most macho control voice (but not shouting). It worked briefly the first few times, and ultimately succeeded long-term. Nothing I tried previously had any effect. And she still loves me with all her heart, this I know. She has never displayed any behavior that suggests she feels intimidated or threatened. I had not seen Yolanda B’s suggestion until now, I simply came up with it on my own, and it worked like a charm when all else had failed. Vilifying someone because you disagree with his/her approach is cruel and unusual. You should be banned from contact with all humans for the remainder of your natural life.

Smackenz
October 20, 2019 11:07 pm

Um. The latest at night I take my dog out is ten and earliest In the morning is six. They hold it all night. I believe this is normal. None of my dog owner friends wake up in the middle of the night to take their dogs out. I don’t know about hitting the crate, but dear reader, be reasonable.

Sharon
June 13, 2019 8:27 am

I have found that my 9 week old Finnish Spitz mix puppy was just lonely I have to remember he was taken from his mother and the litter and he is all alone with me in a new place new surroundings. Just like a baby it may take weeks or months for them to start sleeping quietly through the night. I found he likes the company of my 12 year old Shiba Inu so I try to keep them close together as much as possible I do let my dogs sleep in bed with me so I don’t have the whining problem and the puppy does not pee where he sleeps. Buthe does cry and whine when I crate him when I go to work. Also check the breed of the puppy. I’ve found Finnish Spitzer to be crate adverse as a breed.

Silvia Chesser
June 3, 2019 3:06 pm

I just got a 8 week old boykenspaniel puppy but every night when we put him in his cage, he starts to cry and whimper waking all of us up and won’t go back to bed. Any ideas?

Jane
June 10, 2019 2:15 pm
Reply to  Silvia Chesser

We let our puppy sleep on our bed have
But have the crate in the room so let him see you Ignor him for a bit until he stops whining

Molly
May 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi there… I just got a 7 week old puppy. He is super cute, as all puppies are, but I am having a heck of a time getting to stop peeing where he sleeps. I am trying to crate train, but he keeps peeing in his crate. I have put the divider in so he only has enough room to turn around. I think when he was at the breeders he was left with his litter mates unattended and were not cleaned up in a timely manner because he is stained yellow from sitting in urine. I take him out every hour to go potty, which is does go pee, but sure enough he goes again in his crate. I know crate training is a process, but I feel like I am not making any progress.

Jackie Rinearson
July 21, 2020 9:41 pm
Reply to  Molly

Have your puppy checked for a UTI. We had the same issue. She would go out every 20 minutes. At night it was every hour, sure enough, she had a UTI.

Cort
August 18, 2019 9:34 pm
Reply to  Molly

Any update?!? What did you do? Does the pup still Pee in crate?! 9 week puppy is doing the same thing. I have tried everything

April
August 3, 2019 5:29 pm
Reply to  Molly

Clean the cage with water/vinegar mix, that will take away the smell so he doesn’t feel the need to go

Nicole Retarides
May 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Hello, we just got an 8 week old Leonberger puppy. We got a playpen and planned on having her sleep in that at night and gradually crate training. Well after the first night she climbed out of it. Now the second night she slept in the crate and the third night she cried so I let her sleep with us. Needless to say I got no sleep. Well today I am trying to have her spend a few hours in her crate and she cries. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Jackie Rinearson
July 21, 2020 9:44 pm

Are you partially covering the crate with a blanket or sheet?

Tracy
July 15, 2019 9:19 am

Just stick with the crate training, I know it’s hard. It took me 2 months to finally get my australian shepard to stop the whining at night. Well worth it thought

Luanne
July 17, 2019 11:28 pm
Reply to  Tracy

2 months! we are on night 2 or crying with our 8 week old Aussie. I can’t imagine 2 months.

Rebecca
July 25, 2019 12:14 am
Reply to  Luanne

I’m on day 8. My little Westie can scream! Sounds like he is being beat. I take him out to go potty & he still messes in the crate. I spend all day with him & my other pup playing & wearing him down. He is very stubborn. I have tried everything. Just have to wait it out. It’s a test of wills

Edith Rosner
May 17, 2020 9:33 am
Reply to  Rebecca

I agree. Fiona is not quite 8 weeks and I’ve had her for 5 days. I had Westie before her and I don’t remember this behavior (over 17yrs ago). At the breeders she had full reign of the house. I’m trying to crate train her. At night, she’s been pretty good. She’s spotty on paper training. (hasn’t had her 2nd round of immunizations) Today I put her in her crate after playing post breakfast and she cried and yowled. I went to her, put on white noise and laid and sang to her. She has been quiet now for 20min. I will let her out soon and do some training exercises and then she will have a bit of free time in the house. I have tried everything so far, this has been good. Who knows about tomorrow..So far she has been good in crate at night.

Btl71046
May 2, 2019 2:24 am

I just got an 8 week old puppy. She’s a mix and we’re not sure what she is. First night in the crate went…ok…not perfect, not horrible. If we just put her in the crate and leave, she starts crying. What’s worked every time for me is sitting outside the crate with her and petting her until she falls asleep. Once she’s asleep, I put her in her crate, and cover the entire cage with a blanket. I guess getting her asleep beforehand makes her too tired to cry once she’s in. Maybe this can help some of you!

C. Dotsun
June 15, 2019 9:37 am
Reply to  Btl71046

I will try this tonight. My crate did come with a cover. I just hadn’t used it yet. Thanks for the advice!

Nicole Retarides
May 10, 2019 4:14 pm
Reply to  Btl71046

I will try this tonight!

Rexxxue
April 18, 2019 5:17 pm

I have a dog who is 7 weeks and a day. I know he’s super young but he’s been waking up and waking me up along with him. How do I get him to stop? He’s an Aussie Shepherd and a Collie mix.

Amanda James
April 3, 2019 7:15 pm

So I went through two different crates and two beds to get this right. I use crate at night and when hes sleeping during the day. Had my 10 wk old chi for 2 weeks which as felt like 2 years with a cat and a border collie to contend with being curious about the new whiny baby. Had a playpen from training the cat thinking this was okay in the kitchen. To a baby chihuahua this was like a warehouse and it was used as a time out. Big mistake. Bought smaller crate and trained on grass puppy pads, crate moved to bedroom and moved away from regular puppy pads. Potty use been correct all day for first time and had treats and toys on the new bed in his new crate all day with the door open. Treat and praise everytime he walked in there by choice. Tonight first night in his new crate. He cried for 10 minutes. Used all methods combined. Banged twice with no and he got real mad at me and started barking. Then went to his cries and picked him up just to place him back to the back of his crate with a good stroke and a good boy. Did this twice. Then ignored cries completely, waited for a long pause – I was ready and waiting for it so be ready to quickly walk over. Grabbed a comfy blanket-like pyjama top of mine (worn not washed) and wrapped this loosely around him with a good stroke and a good boy. Not a peep since. First time in 2 weeks. I hope ive not just gone deaf.

Becky
February 28, 2019 9:29 pm

Please help! I have a cocker spaniel puppy who is almost 6 months old. When we first got him my partner refused to use a crate so he slept by the side of our bed. I’m such a light sleeper, every time the puppy moves or snores I woke up. After a few weeks of no sleep he agreed to try a crate.

I’ve tried crate training (am still doing this daily). If we put the crate in or near our bedroom he sleeps fine and through the night. As soon as I move the crate to the kitchen he whines and barks like mad. I tried sleeping in the kitchen and this worked fine. I’ve had a couple of nights where he’s slept in the crate in the kitchen but I’m now back to him crying. I can’t have him in the bedroom as I literally don’t sleep, I’m exhausted and have been getting ill as a result.

We’ve consulted a behaviourist who said never let him cry in his crate so for the past month every time he cries we’ve been getting up to let him out (no fuss) then back in and repeat-it’s not worked.

There are so many mixed opinions on whether you should let them cry it out or not. To me it seems all the trainers and behaviourists say don’t but anyone I speak to who owns a dog said they let theirs cry it out.

We never leave him during the day at home alone. Either I’m working from home or he’s with a doggie day care person. He’s a happy pup, has everything he needs, lots of walks, play, training, right food, relieved himself, toys, chews, blankets but nothing is working.

I have to sleep but don’t know what to do. Please help !

Jackie Rinearson
July 21, 2020 9:49 pm
Reply to  Becky

Why not just let him sleep in your room?

Brandon
March 25, 2019 11:56 pm
Reply to  Becky

Try putting on some music and give them an article of clothing that smells like you. These things help comfort them.

Andrea
March 13, 2019 9:52 pm
Reply to  Becky

Correct the dog!!!! Tap top of crate with a firm no. All the dog knows is, if he whines he gets let out. I agree worth the behaviorist on one thing only, to not let him cry, but you don’t let him out every time he cries, you correct him. Telling a dog no is not bad!!! How the hell are they supposed to know what is right and what is wrong. You were teaching the dog to whine to get out. He gets exactly what he wants so why would he not whine? These behaviorists are going too far.

Another thing you may want to try is leaving the dog. If you were there all the time he never learns to entertain himself, creating separation anxiety.

Linda Von Harten
March 5, 2019 10:57 am
Reply to  Becky

I’m really not one to give advice but I decided to work with my puppy during the day, put him in the crate with a soft towel and a toy and let him cry and scream. As soon as he stops crying and screaming I calmly walk to the crate and let him out. It’s still a work in progress but I’m rewarding him for when he is calm and hoping he will learn to calm himself and hopefully he will learn that his crate is a happy place. Pray for me. lol

Jennifer
February 28, 2019 2:31 am

Hi I have a 9 week old teacup chihuaha, he sleeps throughout the night in a secluded area with doggy gates but as soon as he hears my husband leave for work at 4 am he starts crying and howling like its the end of the world and won’t stop. He has even managed to climb over the gates. I know he shouldn’t be left alone for a long time so I come home for lunch but as soon as I leave he howls and cries, I’m afraid my neighbors will start to complain. Any tips to ease the separation process?

(Admin)
Kimberly Alt
February 28, 2019 11:41 am
Reply to  Jennifer

Sounds like your dog may have some separation anxiety. You may find this article helpful.

maria
February 18, 2019 5:13 pm

crates shouldnt exist period

Poprocks
August 19, 2019 1:22 pm
Reply to  maria

Crates are fine and help establish routine and consistency for a pet that has no clue what you want from it. Providing boundaries is the only way it learns. That being said people do abuse them. Like playpens and babies. You have to have equal parts of crate/playtime. Its hard for some who work long hours. I suggest a cat. They’re a bit more independent and you don’t need to crate them.

Rebecca
July 25, 2019 12:22 am
Reply to  maria

Why? My puppy is so tiny he can get hurt if I don’t put him in a crate. I turn my head for one second & he is gone or biting something he shouldn’t. He has tons of toys but gets into trouble. Till he grows up this is a safety measure.

Fur mom
July 8, 2020 5:46 pm
Reply to  Rebecca

Rebecca he sounds adorable

Jessica Garcia
June 17, 2019 1:49 am
Reply to  maria

Dont abuse the crate thats the problem!

Carole
April 5, 2019 7:57 am
Reply to  maria

I did think this but now changed my mind. I think it’s a great way for a puppy NOT to get separation anxiety. I think all dogs need an alone place that is theirs with their bed, food, water and potty area. I bought a round tent type one for $27 on Wish for our pup coming in 4 weeks. It’s also a good place for a dog which is not toilet trained to be enclosed and not learning the wrong places to do his/her toilet. Why are you so against them?