This content was reviewed by our licensed insurance agent, Michelle Schenker.
To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
Almost any kind of insurance is notorious for being difficult to decipher — from inclusions and exclusions to complicated deductibles and premiums. Trupanion claims to set itself apart from the pack in this arena. In fact, it’s one of the only pet insurance companies to offer a $0 deductible.
Does Trupanion live up to its promise to provide a straightforward and transparent pet insurance experience? Let’s find out!
- Trupanion Overall Rating
- Pros & Cons Comparison Table
- Key Features
- What Are Trupanion’s Waiting Periods?
- What Does Trupanion Cover?
- How Is Trupanion’s Pricing Determined?
- Does Trupanion Have Any Coupon Codes?
- How Does The Claim & Reimbursement Process Work?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Pet Insurance Worth It?
- Trupanion vs Other Companies
- Compare Trupanion To Other Leading Pet Insurance Providers
Trupanion Overall Rating
Our pet insurance experts read through each pet insurance company’s policies to provide detailed comparisons and information regarding how a provider fares against others in the industry. We also speak with customers, read online feedback, and communicate one-on-one with the pet insurance companies to obtain a well-rounded, unbiased analysis of a company’s standings.
Our team rates pet insurance companies based on several factors, including A.M. Best ratings (an indicator of financial stability), claim processing reputations, contract coverage, customer service, pricing, plan customizations, and more.
Pros & Cons Comparison Table
|90% reimbursement with no payout limits||Quotes tend to be among the most expensive compared to competitors|
|Offers optional benefits for additional expenses that cover acupuncture, physical therapy, hydrotherapy, and behavioral modification training and therapy||One time $35 administration fee ($25 in WA and $0 in MD and MI)|
|Hip dysplasia has no age restrictions (but a 30-day waiting period)||Policies have a 30-day waiting period for illnesses (industry average is 14)|
|Offers enrollment from birth||No multi-pet discount|
|30-day money-back guarantee||Pets aren’t eligible for enrollment after 14th birthday|
|Pet is covered in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico||No wellness plan|
|Claim processing averages 2 days||Doesn’t cover exam fees|
|Vet direct pay option at participating clinics|
Alternatives To Trupanion: Our experts have analyzed over a dozen pet insurance providers. Check out our pet insurance reviews to learn more about this year’s top-ranked companies.
- Underwriter: American Pet Insurance Company
- A.M. Best rating (a measure of financial stability): Unrated
- Trupanion has a per-incident deductible for the lifetime of the pet instead of an annual deductible; this means you’ll have to meet the deductible for each new condition/incident your pet encounters but once you have reached the deductible, your pet is covered for as long as your policy is active
- No bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body), which is why it’s our choice for best pet insurance for bilateral conditions
- Claims process:
- Must submit claims within 90 days of the treatment date via mail, email, or fax
- Claims are processed in an average of 2 days
- Option for Trupanion to pay the vet directly, so you don’t owe a hefty vet bill when you leave the office or have to wait for reimbursement (not available everywhere but ask your vet; they may be willing to work with Trupanion Express)
- Continues coverage for a pet if its policy transfers to a new owner
- Covers curable pre-existing conditions if there are no signs or symptoms within 18 months prior to enrollment
- State Farm offers pet insurance through Trupanion
How Does Trupanion Express Work?
Trupanion Express is software that allows Trupanion to pay the vet hospital directly after your pet’s medical emergency. You pay your portion of the claim to the vet and Trupanion pays the remaining amount. The claims process becomes a thing of the past. The software clearly shows what’s covered and excluded, so you know the amount you’re responsible for paying.
The Trupanion Express software needs to be installed on your vet’s office computers for you to take advantage of this feature. If your vet doesn’t currently have Trupanion Express, they can get it set up by reaching out to Trupanion.
Trupanion is also partnered with ezyVet, which has opened up direct payments from Trupanion to thousands of additional pet hospitals across North America using ezyVet’s software.
Customer Service Options & Hours
- Email, phone, fax, and live chat: 24/7
- Illnesses: 30 days
- Accidents: 5 days
- Cruciate Ligaments: 30 days
- Hip Dysplasia: 30 days
Please know that none of the providers in our pet insurance comparison charts cover pre-existing conditions, cremation and burial costs, pregnancy and breeding, or unnecessary cosmetic procedures.
All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: emergency care, surgery and hospitalization, specialized exams and specialty care, X-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, cancer, chronic conditions, euthanasia, hereditary conditions, congenital conditions, non-routine dental treatment, and prescription medications. However, this coverage may have limitations, so please check your policy.
|Condition||Covered By Trupanion|
|Alternative/Holistic Therapies||Extra Fee|
Pet Owner Assistance Add-On Package
The Pet Owner Assistance package costs $4.95/month in addition to the core plan premium.
- Boarding fees in the event you’re hospitalized
- Liability coverage for third-party property damage
- Holiday vacation cancellation costs due to pet-related issues
- Cremation or burial for deaths due to an accident
- Advertising and rewards for lost pets
Recovery & Complementary Care Rider
This plan’s price can vary from a couple of dollars up to $30 and is in addition to the core plan premium.
- Physical and rehabilitative therapy
- Behavioral modification
Trupanion requires a one-time enrollment fee of either $0, $25, or $35, depending on the state in which you live, but has no transaction fees. Your monthly premium is based on the deductible, reimbursement percentage, and annual payout options that you choose from the table below.
|Deductible Options||Payout Options||Reimbursement Options|
|$0-$1,000 (in $5 increments)||Unlimited||90%|
Trupanion is one of the only providers we’ve reviewed with a $0 deductible option. They also allow a vast range of deductible amounts, providing a helpful way to adjust your premium price to best suit your budget.
They only offer a 90% reimbursement option because they strongly believe that no pet owner should be left holding a massive vet bill following a pet’s medical need. So after your deductible is paid, a pet owner’s out-of-pocket expense will never exceed 10% of the covered amount.
Pricing is also based on your pet’s details (age, breed, location, pre-existing conditions, etc.). We recommend obtaining quotes from Trupanion for your specific pet to get an idea of how much a policy would cost you.
Does Trupanion Have Any Coupon Codes?
How Does The Claim & Reimbursement Process Work?
Trupanion uses a “deductible then co-pay” reimbursement method. This is calculated in the following way:
- Actual vet bill amount – Remaining annual deductible – Co-pay = Reimbursement amount
Here’s a reimbursement story to help you better understand how Trupanion processes claims.
- Dog: Chief, 3-year-old male Border Collie
- Condition: Emergency vet, ambulance, hospitalization, and rehab/physical therapy
- Trupanion Reimbursed: $40,000
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding Trupanion pet insurance from our readers.
Can I Cancel Trupanion Online?
You may cancel your Trupanion policy at any time with written notice.
- Fax: 866-405-4536
- Email: [email protected]
- Mail: Trupanion USA, 6100 4th Ave South, Suite 200, Seattle, WA 98108
If you’d like to find an alternative for your Trupanion insurance policy, take a look at our pet insurance reviews to find out more about the pet insurance companies available and which might prove best for your needs.
Is Pet Insurance Worth It?
Need a better understanding of why you should consider purchasing pet insurance for your pup? Check out our video below.
Trupanion vs Other Companies
Interested in seeing how Trupanion stacks up against other popular pet insurance companies? We’ve analyzed and detailed how Trupanion and other leading pet insurance companies compare in coverage, customer service and reputation, claim processing, plan customization, and price.
- Trupanion vs ASPCA
- Trupanion vs Embrace
- Trupanion vs Fetch by The Dodo
- Trupanion vs Figo
- Trupanion vs Healthy Paws
- Trupanion vs Lemonade
- Trupanion vs Nationwide
- Trupanion vs Pets Best
- Trupanion vs Pumpkin
Compare Trupanion To Other Leading Pet Insurance Providers
As advertised, Trupanion’s policy choices are less complicated than many other pet insurance providers, which may appeal to some consumers. Though Trupanion can be more expensive than some competitors, it’s an excellent option for pets with bilateral conditions such as hip dysplasia. It is also a great way to manage your budget in a pet emergency since you will know your deductible is set and then you will only owe 10% of the approved claim amount.
Visit our best pet insurance guide to see our top pet insurance picks and choices for special needs, price, discounts, health conditions, and more. See if Trupanion wins any of our categories and if they’re the right pick of the litter for you.Tagged With: Review, Reviewed By Insurance Agent