Almost any kind of insurance is notorious for being difficult to decipher — from inclusions and exclusions to complicated deductibles and premiums. Trupanion, however, claims to set itself apart from the pack in this arena.
Does Trupanion live up to its promise to provide a straightforward and transparent pet insurance experience? Or is it just hype to win your business?
- 90% reimbursement with no payout limits
- Offers optional benefits for additional expenses that cover acupuncture, physical therapy, hydrotherapy and behavioral modification training and therapy
- Hip dysplasia has no age restrictions (but 30-day waiting period)
- BBB rating: A
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Pet is covered in the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico
- Offers enrollment from birth
- Quotes tend to be among the most expensive compared to competitors
- One time $35 administration fee ($25 in WA and $0 in MD and MI)
- Policies have 30-day waiting period for illnesses (industry average is 14)
- Allows up to a 20% increase on premiums from year to year (based on the state you live in)
- Pets aren't eligible for enrollment after 14th birthday
- No wellness plan
- Doesn't cover exam fees
- No multi-pet discount
- Claim repayment is within 60 days (but averages 14 days)
While Trupanion has a lot to offer, it did not make it into our top three picks for best pet insurance providers. Our experts have analyzed over a dozen pet insurance providers. Check out our pet insurance reviews to learn more about this year’s top-ranked companies.
- Underwriter: American Pet Insurance Company (same as Pets Best)
- A.M. Best rating: Unrated
- Trupanion has a per-incident deductible instead of an annual deductible; this means you’ll have to meet the deductible multiple times for every new emergency your pet encounters instead of one annual deductible, which means all claims go toward one deductible (annual deductibles are usually less costly to the policyholder)
- No exam period
- No bilateral exclusions (a condition or disease that affects both sides of the body), which is why it’s our choice for best pet insurance for bilateral conditions
- Claims process:
- Must submit claims within 90 days of the treatment date via mail, email or fax
- Claim repayment is within 60 days and averages 14 days
- Option to have Trupanion pay vets directly, so you don’t have to pay a hefty vet bill in advance and wait for reimbursement (not available everywhere but ask your vet, and they may be able to call to set up Trupanion Express)
- 30-day free look period (similar to a money-back guarantee)
- Continues coverage for a pet if its policy transfers to a new owner
- State Farm offers pet insurance through Trupanion
- Among our top picks for best pet dental insurance and best pet insurance for vet direct pay
Defined by Trupanion as:
I. Illnesses or Injuries for which signs or evidence of their potential manifestation existed within the 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date.
II. Illnesses or Injuries masked or controlled by treatment or Medication at any time during the 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date. SAMPLE 14 Medical Insurance for Your Pet – TRU 00001 (v09.201601) SECTION 9 CONTINUED
III. Illnesses or Injuries that occurred or began within the 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date and would have been observable or reasonably known to be present by You or Your Veterinarian or that are evidenced by the presence of typical signs, even if they are not noted in Your Pet’s medical records.
IV. The Actual Cost of Treatment for the following if signs or evidence presented on either side of Your Pet during the period 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date through to and including the 30 days after the Policy Enrollment Date: luxating patella, glaucoma, entropion, ectropion, elbow dysplasia, cataracts, prolapse of the tear gland of the third eyelid (cherry eye), and disease, weakness, instability, tear, partial tear or rupture of the cranial cruciate ligament.
V. Hip dysplasia if there was any sign or evidence of the potential manifestation of the Condition any time prior to the Policy Enrollment Date or if the Condition was reasonably known to be present by You, even if not noted in Your Pet’s medical records.
VI. Illnesses or Injuries that arise from a repetitive and specific activity that leads to medical or surgical treatment of Your Pet (e.g., ingestion of foreign materials and bite wounds) if the same or similar activity occurred two times within the 18 month period prior to the Policy Enrollment Date.
VII. The Actual Cost of Treatment for any cutaneous or subcutaneous mass if cutaneous or subcutaneous mass(es) of the same type (determined by diagnostic testing or medical records descriptions) are present during the 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date through to and including the 30 days after the Policy Enrollment Date.
VIII. The Actual Cost of Treatment relating to intervertebral disc disease if there was any sign or evidence of the potential manifestation of it in any part of the spine prior to the Policy Enrollment Date or during any applicable waiting periods.
Customer Service Hours
- Email, phone, and SMS: 24/7
Please know that none of the pet insurance providers in our comparison cover pre-existing conditions or cremation and burial costs. All of them cover the following items when deemed medically necessary: x-rays, blood tests, ultrasounds, cat scans, MRIs, rehabilitation, specialized exams, surgery, hospitalization, emergency care, specialty care, hydrotherapy, chronic conditions, cancer, diagnostic treatment, alternative/holistic therapy, and euthanasia. However, there may be limitations to this coverage, so please check your policy.
|Condition||Covered By Trupanion|
|Exam Required To Set Health Baseline|
|Wellness Care Available For An Extra Fee|
|Non-Routine Dental Treatment|
|Breed, Whelping, Pregnancy|
|Cosmetic Procedures (e.g., Tail Docking, Ear Cropping, Dew Claw Removal) Unless Medically Necessary|
NOTE: This plan is not available for new enrollments in Florida. See policy for details.
Pet Owner Assistance Add-On Package
The Pet Owner Assistance package costs $4.95/month in addition to the core plan premium.
- Boarding fees in the event you’re hospitalized
- Liability coverage for third-party property damage
- Holiday vacation cancellation costs
- Cremation or burial for deaths due to an accident
- Advertising and rewards for lost pets
Recovery & Complementary Care Rider
This plan’s price can vary from a couple of dollars up to $30 and is in addition to the core plan premium.
- Physical and rehabilitative therapy
- Behavioral modification
Trupanion has a set 90% reimbursement with the option of a $0 to $1,000 deductible and unlimited annual payout limit.
The cost of each policy is unique to your pet and depends on many variables, including your pet’s age, breed, location, health conditions, and more. Below are some example monthly premiums for various pets from June 2021.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||4 Months||2 Years||6 Months||4 Years|
|Location||New York City (10005)||Los Angeles (90010)||Chicago (60604)||Austin (73301)|
|Price Per Month||$184.88||$196.15||$86.31||$31.04|
You can get personalized price quotes for your pet(s) from reputable companies when you fill out just one short form. You can also visit our pet insurance quotes page to see how the cost of Trupanion stacks up against the competition.
Below are some reimbursement claim stories for Trupanion customers.
Chief’s Multiple Vet Bills
- Dog: Chief, 3-year-old male Border Collie
- Condition: Emergency vet, ambulance, hospitalization, and rehab/physical therapy
- Trupanion Reimbursed: $40,000
Maelee’s Spay Complications
- Dog: Maelee
- Condition: Spay complications, including a vet visit, overnight emergency clinic, and emergency hospital
- Trupanion Reimbursed: $34,401.80
Below are a few Trupanion reviews from real customers. Do you have experience with Trupanion? We’d love to hear from you in our comments section.
I have been a long time Trupanion customer with multiple dogs. The 3 i currently have all have had Trupanion since birth. I have edited & changed my review back to 5 stars! After my review was posted a supervisor immediately contacted me to fix my issue. Cooper’s original policy was reinstated to alleviate the mistake and I could not be more happy that I can stay with Trupanion for all 3 of my babes. She was super understanding and eager to make things right! Katie definitely gave me the service I had come to expect from Trupanion, I’m glad a company still values it’s customers and their fur babies!!! Thank you TP I highly recommend. – Ali G., Yelp 5/27/2021
My dog Chappo is 20 months old and was hospitalized for vomiting and diarrhea. Two days in the hospital and Trupanion paid the bill as the policy states 90% 3300.00 . And my dog in December had an ACL tear and once again they paid their portion of 4600.00 . 90% actually they paid directly to the vet hospital as a pre approval! Like most insurances they do go thru all previous records carefully and that takes time before making a concrete decision. Thank you Trupanion for being their for my dog when we needed healthcare!!! – Ellen A., BBB 2/27/2021
This is a sad excuse for an insurance company. They just raised my rates 23% (TWENTY-THREE PERCENT). The Rep I spoke with said something about getting in trouble with regulators if they didn’t increase premiums… I don’t think I’ve seen a dime in coverage from them in several years since everything is applied to deductibles and treated as new conditions… My dog is 16 and a half years old and nearing a point when I would actually need this insurance to pay for his care. This is unconscionable.
I feel sorry for people on a fixed income that want to do business with this unethical company. Anybody raising rates 23% during the Pandemic deserves what they get. Apparently they are very clever and you cannot write a Google review on this awful company.
I think most people might be better off putting the hundreds of dollars you would pay them for premiums every month and sticking it in your mattress for a rainy day. Buyer beware. – Rudy M., Yelp 5/26/2021
We have a goldendoodle. And because we live in Chicago, we apparently get a $15/increase per month. “Veterinarians are hard at work caring for pets like Hazel, and as members utilize more veterinary care, we often see our rates increase. We recently reviewed our pricing and found that the average use of veterinary care for Goldendoodles and pets in Chicago has increased. So, starting on July 16, 2021, we’ll be raising your monthly cost from $45.75 to $58.4.” Absolutely ridiculous. You are taking advantage of people that own a popular dog breed. – Hazel D., BBB 5/28/2021
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding Trupanion pet insurance from our readers. Have your own? Ask us in the comments.
Can I Cancel Trupanion Online?
You may cancel your Trupanion policy at any time with written notice.
- Fax: 866-405-4536
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Trupanion USA, 6100 4th Ave South, Suite 200, Seattle, WA 98108
If you’d like a replacement for your Trupanion insurance policy, take a look at our pet insurance reviews to see which pet insurance companies we’ve selected in our top three.
Need a better understanding of why you should consider purchasing pet insurance for your pup? Check out our video below.
See what the key differences are between Trupanion and other leading pet insurance companies.
- Healthy Paws has a better customer service reputation and pays out 99% of its claims within 2 days as opposed to the 60 days Trupanion allows.
- Trupanion has a shorter 30-day waiting period for hip dysplasia, while Healthy Paws is 12 months.
- Trupanion is consistently more expensive than Healthy Paws in the quotes we ran.
- Trupanion has a shorter 30-day waiting period for hip dysplasia, while Petplan is 6 months.
- All Trupanion plans include unlimited payout limits, while Petplan offers payout limits ranging from $2,500 to unlimited.
- Petplan pays out claims within 22 days on average as opposed to the 60 days Trupanion allows.
- Nationwide offers preventative care for an extra fee, Trupanion doesn’t.
- Nationwide’s underwriter has an A+ rating from A.M. Best, while Trupanion’s is unrated.
- Nationwide had less expensive premiums than Trupanion in the quotes we ran.
- Embrace has shorter waiting periods than Trupanion for illnesses and accidents, but Trupanion has shorter waiting periods for hip dysplasia and ACL surgery.
- Embrace offers $5,000, $8,000, $10,000, $15,000, $30,000, and unlimited payout limits while Trupanion only offers unlimited.
- Trupanion’s underwriter is unrated, while Embrace’s has an A+ rating from A.M. Best.
- Trupanion has longer waiting periods for illnesses and accidents than Lemonade.
- Trupanion is available nationwide, and Lemonade isn’t.
- Lemonade plans are more customizable than Trupanion plans offering multiple payout limit options, deductibles, and reimbursement percentages.
Trupanion’s policy choices are less complicated than many other pet insurance providers, which may be appealing for some consumers. Of course, this also means fewer options for coverage and, thus, pricing. It’s also on the expensive side compared to similar coverage from other companies, and its underwriter is unrated by A.M. Best.
Visit our pet insurance reviews to see a comprehensive comparison of the leading insurance providers for your four-pawed family members. See how Trupanion stacks up against the competition and if they’re the right pick of the litter for you.
Are you considering pet insurance through Trupanion?