To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
You turned your back for one minute, and now Fido has a stomach full of bathroom trash. Yuck! You take him to the vet and have an x-ray done and see all the q-tips, bobby pins and, oh no, a part of an old razor blade. Things just got really scary for you.
The vet performs surgery, and thankfully, Fido will be okay. However, your bank account is in some real pain now. Had you signed up for pet insurance, you may not have had to pay as much for the vet bills.
- Underwriter: American Pet Insurance Company (same as Pets Best)
- A.M. Best rating: Unrated
- Trupanion has a per-incident deductible instead of an annual deductible, this means you could have to meet the deductible multiple times for every new emergency your pet encounters instead of one annual deductible, which means all claims go toward one deductible (annual deductibles are usually less costly to the policyholder)
- No exam period
- Pre-existing conditions defined by Trupanion:
- I. Illnesses or Injuries for which signs or evidence of their potential manifestation existed within the 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date.
- II. Illnesses or Injuries masked or controlled by treatment or Medication at any time during the 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date. SAMPLE 14 Medical Insurance for Your Pet – TRU 00001 (v09.201601) SECTION 9 CONTINUED
- III. Illnesses or Injuries that occurred or began within the 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date and would have been observable or reasonably known to be present by You or Your Veterinarian or that are evidenced by the presence of typical signs, even if they are not noted in Your Pet’s medical records.
- IV. The Actual Cost of Treatment for the following if signs or evidence presented on either side of Your Pet during the period 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date through to and including the 30 days after the Policy Enrollment Date: luxating patella, glaucoma, entropion, ectropion, elbow dysplasia, cataracts, prolapse of the tear gland of the third eyelid (cherry eye), and disease, weakness, instability, tear, partial tear or rupture of the cranial cruciate ligament.
- V. Hip dysplasia if there was any sign or evidence of the potential manifestation of the Condition any time prior to the Policy Enrollment Date or if the Condition was reasonably known to be present by You, even if not noted in Your Pet’s medical records.
- VI. Illnesses or Injuries that arise from a repetitive and specific activity that leads to medical or surgical treatment of Your Pet (e.g., ingestion of foreign materials and bite wounds) if the same or similar activity occurred two times within the 18 month period prior to the Policy Enrollment Date.
- VII. The Actual Cost of Treatment for any cutaneous or subcutaneous mass if cutaneous or subcutaneous mass(es) of the same type (determined by diagnostic testing or medical records descriptions) are present during the 18 months prior to the Policy Enrollment Date through to and including the 30 days after the Policy Enrollment Date.
- VIII. The Actual Cost of Treatment relating to intervertebral disc disease if there was any sign or evidence of the potential manifestation of it in any part of the spine prior to the Policy Enrollment Date or during any applicable waiting periods.
- Claims are paid within 60-days
- Claims must be submitted within 90 days of the treatment date
- Option to pay vets directly, so you don’t have to pay a hefty vet bill in advance and wait for reimbursement (not available everywhere but ask your vet and they may be able to call to set up Trupanion Express)
- 30-day free look period (similar to a money back guarantee)
- Trupanion offers optional dental coverage
- Will continue coverage for a pet if it’s policy is transferred to a new owner
- 90% reimbursement with no payout limits
- Offers optional benefits for additional expenses that cover acupuncture, physical therapy, hydrotherapy and behavioral modification training and therapy
- Hip Dysplasia has no age restrictions
- BBB rating: A+
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Pet is covered in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico
- More expensive
- One time $35 administration fee
- Policies have 5 day waiting period for injuries and 30 day waiting period for illnesses
- Allow up to a 20% increase in premiums from year to year (based on the state you live in)
- Pets are not eligible for enrollment after their 14th birthday
- No wellness plan
- Does not cover exam fees
|Covered by Trupanion||Not Covered by Trupanion|
|Injuries||Sales tax where applicable|
|Hereditary conditions||Wellness and preventive care (parasite control, spay/neuter, vaccinations)|
|Congenital conditions||Pre-existing conditions|
|Prosthetic devices and carts|
Pet Owner Assistance Add-On Package
The Pet Owner Assistance package costs $4.95/month in addition to the core plan premium.
- Boarding fees in the event you are hospitalized
- Liability coverage for third-party property damage
- Holiday vacation cancellation costs
- Cremation or burial for deaths due to an accident
- Advertising and reward for lost pet
Recovery & Complementary Care Rider
The price of this plan can vary anywhere from a couple of dollars towards $30 and is in addition to the core plan premium.
- Physical and rehabilitative therapy
- Behavioral modification
There are not any active Trupanion coupon codes at this time.
Trupanion has a set 90% reimbursement with the option of a $0 to $1,000 deductible and unlimited annual limit. Below are some example monthly premiums for various pets from May 2018.
|Breed||Labrador Retriever||German Shepherd||Yorkshire Terrier||Mixed Breed Cat|
|Age||4 Months||2 Years||6 Months||4 Years|
|Location||New York City (Zip code: 10005)||Los Angeles (Zip code: 90010)||Chicago (Zip code: 60604)||Miami (Zip code: 33114)|
|Price Per Month||$125.57||$119.54||$58.97||$51.13|
Hip dysplasia is covered in Trupanion’s core policy. There is a 30-day waiting period, and it has an exclusion, which states the following.
Hip dysplasia (is covered) if there was any sign or evidence of the potential manifestation of the Condition any time prior to the Policy Enrollment Date or if the Condition was reasonably known to be present by You, even if not noted in Your Pet’s medical records.
- 30-days: Illnesses
- 5-days: Injuries
- 30-days: Cruciate ligament events and hip dysplasia
I have my dog Frosty insured with Trupanion for 5 years and never needed to file a claim until 4 weeks ago when he was diagnosed with a tumor on his spleen which had ruptured and caused internal bleeding and needed lifesaving surgery. The whole procedure came at $9240 which I had prepaid out of pocket and while waiting for the claim to be processed, I looked up some of the reviews online and got really worried. Fortunately my experience was different and very positive, the agents on the phone were very caring, understanding and knowledgeable and after about 20 days I received an email stating my claim was approved and 90% of the cost will be covered by Trupanion (minus the deductible). They also informed me the reason why it took 20 days to process was due to that being our first claim. Thank you Trupanion. – Tobias M., Yelp 4/24/2018
For years, I had my previous dog insured with Trupanion and I never had any issues with their coverage. I read my policy prior to enrollment (a common error I can see many people making when they complain about coverage). Prior to enrollment, my dog had about one UTI every year so I just never made claims for those. But when she developed a cancerous lung tumor, Trupanion was there every step of the way covering her care and allowing me to give her the best last 18 months I could. Over the 5 years I had her insured, there was never a dramatic premium increase and one year, her premium went DOWN! How often does that happen? They base their premiums on actuary data about pets with similar breed, age, and postal code so if the cost of care is high in your areas, you can see increases. I see it as a fair trade off for such comprehensive coverage at 90%. I have since gotten a new elderly dog a few months ago and a new kitten just a few days ago! Once again invested in a Trupanion policy for both of them. The dog I adopted came with some allergies and while I know those are pre-existing and not eligible for coverage, it is a comfort to me to know that Trupanion is there for us when we need them for future accidents or injuries. – Courtney P., BBB 4/7/2018
Kesa, I don’t have any questions. I have already wasted HOURS of my lunch breaks, weekends, and precious time on the phone with Trupanion to no avail. My concerns were trivial, but you dug your heels in and made this the worst experience in the many tough times. Unless there is anything you can do to repay me AT ALL, I will NEVER recommend your company and absolutely not waste another minute on the phone. There is no point with arguing when you clearly don’t want to help but just profit off technicalities that were not explained anywhere in your site or paperwork.
Like I said in previous reviews, even my vet, a loyal recommender of Trupanion was very upset to hear of my experiences with you. You response was clearly a ploy to look decent and try to resolve issues; until I’m on the phone and you couldn’t care less. – Allison P., Yelp 4/20/2018
This pet insurance company is awful. They barely cover anything! My kitten had a toxic exposure and they wouldn’t cover calling animal poison control or her bath which was all necessary with the exposure. I was told that I would receive a call regarding the bath dispute, they never called, emailed me a new invoice with no explanation on anything. We use a different company for our older kitty and are switching back. Also you must pay a deductible for each different issue, not a calendar year! – Emily L., BBB 4/12/2018
Need a better understanding of why you should consider purchasing pet insurance for your pup? Check out our video below.
Visit our Pet Insurance Reviews page to see a comprehensive comparison of the leading insurance providers for pets. See how Trupanion stacks up against the competition and if they’re the right pick for you.
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.